4WD vehicle, driving without front driveshaft?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Got a Jeep, front driveshaft is out ( long story). If I drive it without the front driveshaft in it (its a RWD vehicle in 2WD), will it hurt anything?

Im really unsure, that's why I am asking. So please, leave the smartass comments out of this, thanks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IANAM, but it is my understanding that as long as the transfer case/hubs are not engaged, you will be fine. I recall having a Wrangler one of the towing fixes was to remove the front driveshaft (between transfer case and front transaxle)

I also recall early Ford and Jeep owners would disconnect them in the summer to increase gas mileage.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    what jeep/transfer case? it depends.

for example - 93-95 grand cherokee its a no-no. 96-98 its fine.

jeeps (well, after a point) dont have locking hubs - they are constantly locked to the axleshafts and to the spiders - the transfer case has the differential in it, but some work differently.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, full time 4wd has the 249. Gotta run both shafts or it'll roll across the parking lot in Park LOL.
    My VC went bad so swapped in a 242. Can run it with front shaft out.

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    If it has a 2h position then its fine if not then u need the transfercase number to know for sure. Have worked on many 4x4 trucks for customers in the past had several that had CV problems and ran for a few months waiting on junkyard parts instead of buying new

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    what jeep/transfer case? it depends.

for example - 93-95 grand cherokee its a no-no. 96-98 its fine.

jeeps (well, after a point) dont have locking hubs - they are constantly locked to the axleshafts and to the spiders - the transfer case has the differential in it, but some work differently.
    I bought my '95 Grand Cherokee Limited with the transfer case bad and the front drive shaft laying in the back of the Jeep. I drove it like that for close to 6 months before I swapped out the transfer case.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I took the front drive shaft out of a 78 GMC, it was full time 4we. Drove it to Florida and had no problems.

I had a 77 K5 Blazer that had full time 4x4, no manual lock outs on the front axle, just the chrome cover caps.
    It would not move without the front drive shaft in it unless I had it in Hi Loc. I never understood that.
    The transfer case was Hi Loc, Hi, N, Low, Low Loc.

Top Bottom