• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have 800 rounds of WW2 surplus 45 ammo. Steel cased FMJ, boxer primed , most is dated 43. I bought this in the 80's for $200/1200rnds. How do you tell if it's corrosive or not. I've shot around 400rnds in my Colt 1911, shoots good, smokes some. Doesn't dirty up the gun to bad. I've always cleaned the gun good after firing with this ammo, just in case it's corrosive. The only problem I've had with the ammo is the primers seem to be harder than other ammo as I've had to strike them more than once in some 45's I've owned. No problem with my current Colt.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Well you could always shoot several hundred after a complete cleaning and let your firearm sit for a month and see if you get rust.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would just automatically assume the ammo is corrosive. When you come home from the range, drop the barrel is a pan of boiling water with some soap (not detergent) in it. Scrub it out some and rinse with really hot water. Then clean/oil as normal.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    More than likely corrosive. Only US ammo of WWII that wasn't was .30 carbine I do believe.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    It has E C 43 & E C S 43 stamped on it. So it must be corrosive. I guess I'll just clean the gun good after I shoot it. I have 796rnds left. It's loose, so I guess no collector value. I've only had 1 round that didn't fire. Thanks for all the info.

Top Bottom