• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I have some re-loaded 45 acp small primer brass (loaded with 185 grain FMJ, 6.1 gr Unique, and TulAmmo small primers) that consistently gives "blowback." Does anyone re-load small primer 45 acp brass, and if so do you use faster burning powders or maybe a lower than usual measure of powder? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What do you mean by "blow back"? Gas leakage from around the primer? Gas expelling from the ejection port? I have loaded a lot of small primer .45 acp brass and never had any different result than with large primer brass.

Last edited:

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Unburned powder blown back on casing and I can feel powder or some type of debris on my face and arms (not alot, but consistently). Only happens with this load and small primers.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Not enough pressure to force the case to swell and seal the chamber. Bump up the load and it will seal. If the chamber is slightly oversize - it will take more pressure. Light bullets like a 185 also leave the case faster so gases don't have as much time to build the pressure needed to expand the case fully and the pressure peak happens after the bullet has left the case. In my opinion putting small primers in a .45 case was a dumb idea. Switching to a faster powder can help.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I load small primer 45's pften and prefer them to the typical large primer just ko keep what I must keep around simpler. I load 225 FP's and 250 Ball just because that is what I like to shoot and the powder I use is rated as one of the faster burning one, Bullseye, withut issue in my 1911's as well as other pistolsand a couple of revolvers. I'd wager it is the gun rather than the type of brass though it is my opinion that might change given more data or a chance to see for myself.

Essentially, I am saying that if the primer pockets of your brass are not what you want, trade them off to someone like myself for large primer stuff. :)

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    In looking at the Alliant site for their Unique recipes I see a 185 gr GDHP with 8.8 gr. of powder. So while it's not an exact match, your 6.1 gr. seems really light. That could definitely cause poor burning and blowback. Do you have a chrono to measure your velocity? My guess is that you'll see it's WAY low!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you like the load - shoot it. It won't hurt anything. Target shooters have been shooting light loads that blowback on their brass for years. It washes off. If you are actually getting stuff blown in your face - something's not right. The chamber may be way out of spec.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Not enough pressure to force the case to swell and seal the chamber. Bump up the load and it will seal. If the chamber is slightly oversize - it will take more pressure. Light bullets like a 185 also leave the case faster so gases don't have as much time to build the pressure needed to expand the case fully and the pressure peak happens after the bullet has left the case. In my opinion putting small primers in a .45 case was a dumb idea. Switching to a faster powder can help.

+1 Excellent advice. Everything said here is on spot.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Add me to the others who believe you're loading way too low.
    Primer setback and propellant gas leakage back around the case are both telltale signs of insufficient pressure to expand the case on firing.
    Recheck your loads and go with the listed starting loads or (better) move on up to the middle range or higher.
    You're problems will almost certainly disappear.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ever use any of the old original Unique? Yeah, it was filthy but it would give you very healthy velocities while generating pressures that were amazingly low. It was and is a very good powder. If anyone insists on having a squeaky clean firearm - then they shouldn't shoot it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have never seen a 45acp used small primer. Can you post a pix?

Believe it or not, some factory .45 ACP comes with small primers, specifically Winchester white box.
    Dunno if you can buy new brass that way, although I have no idea why anyone would ever want to, so probably not.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They've all been doing this for years now. Something to do with the E.P.A. regulations.

I'd love to see the cite for that.
    More importantly, I'd love to hear a logical rationale for it.
    They still load large primers in .44 Special/.44 Magnum, .45 Colt, 10mm, and a whole load of other handgun cartridges.
    I'm almost certain that it has to do with the ammo manufacturers economizing, since small primers are a bit cheaper.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have loaded a lot of 200gr 45acp with bullseye and titegroup and never had a problem with small primers

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've only noticed the small primers on Federal. Sounds like others are doing the same thing now too.
    I have no idea how to post a picture. But I've got a handful on my bench right now.

I agree with others. Check your loads. I'm by no means an expert, but when I've experienced what you are describing, I was loaded light.

If you are using load data that was worked up with large pistol primers, you will be 'off'.

Top Bottom