• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    I have some 700X powder I would like to use along with speer 240 gr. lswc bullets. Any suggestions on a good practice/plinking load. I'd like a starting load and max. load if possible. I'm having a hard time finding data for this for some reason. Thanks.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    700X is a good powder for big bore revolver cartridges (if a little dirty). 4.2 to 5.0 will get you a good load. .44 Spl. rules.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I love my Bulldog 44 special, I just wish I could find ammo around me in stock...guess I'll have to look into reloading.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Factory ammo in 44 Spl. has always been pretty slim pickings. From 1907 up to the 1970s all factroy ammo was loaded down to 700 FPS or less just so somene could shoot it in an early revolver that was easy to blow. You can handload .44 Spl. much better than the factories manage to build. Plus you can find a bullet weight that is ideal for your barrel and buy a couple of thousands of that bullet. The best load I have found for my old Bulldog is a 200 gr. slug driven to 850-900 FPS. That's a huge power to weight ratio in a snub revolver. I used to shoot pins with my Bulldog and guys were always amazed at how that little gun would blow the pins back off the table just like the .45 1911 did (you just have to work a little harder). A 215 gr. hard cast SWC works very well in a Charter too. The guy who designed the Charter worked for Ruger and tried to get them to build it. They would not build such a lightly constructed .44 revolver so he left and started Charter Arms. If Ruger would build us one it would be much heavier - but it would be a great carry gun with a good belt rig. Keep an eye on every threaded fastener on any Charter - they will back out from recoil.

Last edited:

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Factory ammo in 44 Spl. has always been pretty slim pickings. From 1907 up to the 1970s all factroy ammo was loaded down to 700 FPS or less just so somene could shoot it in an early revolver that was easy to blow. You can handload .44 Spl. much better than the factories manage to build. Plus you can find a bullet weight that is ideal for your barrel and buy a couple of thousands of that bullet. The best load I have found for my old Bulldog is a 200 gr. slug driven to 850-900 FPS. That's a huge power to weight ratio in a snub revolver. I used to shoot pins with my Bulldog and guys were always amazed at how that little gun would blow the pins back off the table just like the .45 1911 did (you just have to work a little harder). A 215 gr. hard cast SWC works very well in a Charter too. The guy who designed the Charter worked for Ruger and tried to get them to build it. They would not build such a lightly constructed .44 revolver so he left and started Charter Arms. If Ruger would build us one it would be much heavier - but it would be a great carry gun with a good belt rig. Keep an eye on every threaded fastener on any Charter - they will back out from recoil.

That's an awesome tip, just took it to the range yesterday. First short barrel I've ever had, always carried a G22 in the past...let's say my accuracy was a little...off lol

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Pretty cool little gun. I can carry it all day and almost forget it's on my belt. If you plan on shooting it a lot - use light loads. Just use the heavy stuff for carry.

Top Bottom