40mm / 37mm rounds that are legal in IN?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    Upon running the search for this information I was not able to find specific answers to these questions

My questions pertain to AFTER all the appropriate tax stamps are applied to a 40mm or 37mm launcher and it is a legally owned DD by an Indiana resident.

I understand that HE rounds are illegal but, that could still leave some rounds that fall between smoke and an actual grenade. As an Indiana resident and only shooting it in IN. are the following rounds legal to own and use in IN?

1. 12ga adapters
    2. Beehive
    3. CS (Tear Gas)
    4. Flash Bang

Yes, this whole area of the industry is extremely cost prohibitive but, I am more interested in legalities for the sake of the thread. Any information or links specific to owning the above rounds is appreciated! Thank you for the help!

Last edited:

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    When I looked into it years ago, I don't think you needed anything for a 37mm launcher, as it is/was considered a flare launcher. You could have them shipped directly to your house. I may be wrong or things may have changed, but I'm fairly certain that's why the 37mm even exists.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    When I looked into it years ago, I don't think you needed anything for a 37mm launcher, as it is/was considered a flare launcher. You could have them shipped directly to your house. I may be wrong or things may have changed, but I'm fairly certain that's why the 37mm even exists.

Serial Crusher - You are right that a 37mm can be shipped to your door. But, it is a signaling device and not a DD and can not legally shoot anti personal rounds until it becomes a DD. You can not have a 37mm DD shipped to your door.

My question is specific to the rounds listed in my first post and already assumes you have done the paper work to legally own a DD. I am interested in information regarding legally owning those specific rounds.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Everything on you list is legal in IN.

However, finding a source that will sell CS rounds to you will take some searching.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

This product is restricted by A.L.S. Technologies to law enforcement agents, military personnel, FFL holders, and private security officers.
    Sure, it's easy to get around but they still don't want you to do it...

BTW, where can you get flash-bangs? Those would be good to have around... I would assume they aren't registered if they're not considered explosive?

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Serial Crusher - You are right that a 37mm can be shipped to your door. But, it is a signaling device and not a DD and can not legally shoot anti personal rounds until it becomes a DD. You can not have a 37mm DD shipped to your door.

My question is specific to the rounds listed in my first post and already assumes you have done the paper work to legally own a DD. I am interested in information regarding legally owning those specific rounds.

I figured there was some particularity to it like that, a hidden "as assembled" clause or what have you. It did seem a little too easy, but it was a long time ago that I looked at it, and I balked at the price back then. Thanks for the info. That's about all the help I can offer :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Rubber bullet and bean-bag rounds are considered Anti-Personel, and thus can not be used in a NON DD... But they are legal to have and use IF you register your launcher as a DD.

That doesn't stop me from lusting after a Spikes Tactical, Stand alone launcher though ;)

It would be nice to have around though for stray animals and property management.

As for your specific questions:
    1. 12ga adapters
    2. Beehive
    3. CS (Tear Gas)
    4. Flash Bang

1. - 12ga adapters are completely legal - since these don't normally allow for standard shotguns hells to fit, they can't be used to fire lethal rounds (it would be illegal to do so anyway)

2. - The Beehive is completely legal to posses in Indiana, but again, it can't be fired from a 37mm unless you register it as a DD. They only make them for 40mm anyway... some are foolish enough to have a 40mm beehive turned down to fit in 37mm, but such a weapon is still illegal unless registered as a DD. A Better solution is to have the launcher bored out to 40mm.

3. - CS gas canisters are not technically weapons, as they do not impact the target directly or indirectly... They would be legal under IN law, but again, you better have a DARN good reason for using it against people, or you may find yourself in trouble.

4. - Flash bang seems to me to fall under the same category as the CS gas - They are not technically weaponry, but you would still likely find yourself in deep poop if you started launching them at people.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom