• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Okay, I recently experienced an issue at the range with some reloaded .40 S&W ammo and I want some opinions as to the cause.

I loaded up and shot about 100 pieces of ammo: 180 grain plated (Ranier, I think?) - flat points. I used 5.2 to 5.4 grains Unique. AOL was 1.125. I think this would be mild to mid range in power? I did the plunk test to make sure they fit into the Storm Lake barrel chamber okay, and I do think it is a tighter chamber than the Glock barrel so I did not think that was an issue. I was using Lee dies, and I used the fourth die (factory crimp die?) too.

They all fed fine and shot fine in my stock Glock 23 barrel, but when I used the Storm Lake 4.5" ported barrel, I had several that failed to feed. Once they were chambered, they shot fine and ejected, but I had probably one per magazine that did not go into the chamber. It nosed into the ramp and stuck. A slight pull back on the slide or tap on it and it would spring closed all the way.

So... what do you think was causing this? Do I need to fluff and buff the ramp? Are these under-powered and not forcing the slide back enough? Is the fact that this barrel was ported maybe taking away just enough of the recoil effect that it is causing it to short-cycle, sort of?

Those were the possible problems that I thought of. So has anyone else had a similar issue, or has an idea as to the most likely cause?

Thanks!

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I really like the 40 cal storm lake barrel in my Paraordnance. It is a lot tighter than factory.
    I think the porting is stealing some of the recoil energy causing the problem.
    try cranking the load up some or a lighter recoil spring.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Did you resize all of these after they were shot out of your Glock barrel? Unsupported chambers will cause a slight bulge of the case and this would cause a failure to feed I think. You should be able to load a litter hotter and still be safe. It very well could be the problem?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Every aftermarket .40 and 10mm bbl I have put in my 10mm Glocks have needed just a little polishing on the feed ramp and around the brass web area of the chamber to reliably feed my reloads. They feed factory ammo just fine stock, but removing .0005 to .001" around that area helped a bunch. I just started by doing a small amount at a time with a cotton wheel on a Dremel with a jeweler's rouge and would do a couple minutes at a low speed until it was a mirror shine and then I'd shoot again and if it still had occasional problems, do it again and repeat until it was reliable.

Top Bottom