• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I bought a Williams tool box, top and bottom. That set me back right around $3,000. It is a nice tool box, better than the craftsman that it replaced. If I were to go through my little collection of tools right now I would have somewhere between $10,000 - 12,500 in tools and tool box and $1,000 of that is in torque wrenchs. Slowly trying to replace all of my craftsman tools for stuff such as williams, blackhawk, s&k, and snap-on. I do wrench on truck for a living when I am not driving them which right now would be a 60/40 ratio. I know of a couple of people that have a custom chassis for their tool boxes that have rims off of cars on them.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    I own a mac tech 1000 tool box. It cost me 3k. I dont see upgrading at all except to add the side cabinet that costs $1500. The box that I have costs 4500 now compared to 3 years ago. I used to work with a guy at firestone @ castelton. His box cost him $30k its about 6 foot tall and is stuffed with tools (matco box).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have relation who works for Snap-on. I saw what the markup is on the tools and I can't for the life of me understand why people buy the stuff.

Really, I can.

Quality, when you pick up a Snap-On wrench you know it is the size it says it is and you also know it is not going to break if you need to put a little more power than it should have on it.

Warranty, I have yet to find anything with their name on it that they will not repair or replace.

Which brings up when I do break their stuff it is not a 100 mile round trip to change out that 1/2 inch wrench. It is a phone call and they show up...

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Really, I can.

Quality, when you pick up a Snap-On wrench you know it is the size it says it is and you also know it is not going to break if you need to put a little more power than it should have on it.

Warranty, I have yet to find anything with their name on it that they will not repair or replace.

Which brings up when I do break their stuff it is not a 100 mile round trip to change out that 1/2 inch wrench. It is a phone call and they show up...

I promise you can find tools just as good and not pay near the markup.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I promise you can find tools just as good and not pay near the markup.

LOL

I will not argue that at all. However, I have had times that it was 100+ miles to the nearest town, let alone the right store to either exchange whatever tool I had broken or just to purchase whatever was needed to replace the job. Having them a phone call away has been a God send at times...

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do my taxes every year and realize I spend between $6000 - $8000 per year, just with Snap-On. That is just the payments; mind you, not even what I still owe. As one who does it for a living I can justify them as being worth every penny.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is no doubt that a lot of mechanics spend a lot of money on tools and storage (and I do my best to sell them too). But a lot of the guys add interest and sales taxes onto the actual price of their financed tools and equipment.

Just something to keep in mind when he says he spent $40 K on his toolbox. He may have included tax and interest....Even 10% interest is a lot over 4 years on a big toolbox.

Anybody who thinks there are huge margins on hand tools is mis-informed, especially since it is not a cash business. Payments are spread out over 6 to 10 weeks and sometimes more. And the tool dealer is financing this with zero interest. And some is never recovered.

bmwdud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    fort wayne
    i have been doing it for over 32 years and i bet i have over 100 grand just at the shop and then more at home and all payed for

though about taking out a reverse mortgage on them and getting the tool guys to start buying them back :laugh::laugh:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have seen some boxes in the 20k range... I think some of the double decker MAC's are more.

Just because someone has $X in tools does not mean as much as you think...... from what I have seen boxes and tools only hold about half their value so if they say they have 80k in tools in reality they paid that much but they now only have like 40k if that.

When buying new tools new instead or used or at leat getting them on a good sale you are just wasting money.

You can get about any tool box for like half off used in brand new shape..... if you are buying a 10-20k box brand new then you have to much spare change.....

The Snap-on box I want to replace my Chraftsman with you can get for about 4-5k used but never used shape..... MSRP is like 10k.....

antdog/zook

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    so many guys go onto the truck and just spend every last dime on new tools. stretch it out and they dont take any money home for next several weeks. that=does not make sense to me? i myself have never had a problem with exchange from: snap-on,craftsman,mac....hell everyone now has lifetime warranty, even harbor freight!

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I got on the whole tool bandwagon for a while. Now I have a stacked 42' box completely full, and I use about 40% of the tools in it. I would like to lighten the load a little,but I just can't seem to part with any of them.

For you guy's who have over 5k in tools. It's a good Idea to take detailed pics and inventory each piece. Then send a copy to your ins guy and pay the couple extra bucks a month. I know a guy who's garage just got wiped out. Lost a good 90k-100k.(replacement cost) They insurance cut him check that covered the kick in door, his welder, because it was brand new and still had credit card statement, and gave him 3cents on the dollar for the tools he could prove.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    this sis mine, bottom box was about 9500, top cab was 1800 and side locker was 2800 and i've since added the side locker to the right as well. last time i inventoried i had about 130k in tools and equipment. and as previously stated, insure your own tools, the dealer or garage you work for is only out to cover THEIR losses in the event of a break in
    toolbox004.jpg

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Don't you know that the more you have spent the better you are?

I used to work with a really good mechanic that taught me quite a bit and all his tools were Harbor freight from the 80's or so haha... Also worked with ones just as good that had the high end stuff.

On the lightening the load stuff. Once I get my snap-on box it will have only aircraft tools in it and the chraftsman at home will have the automotive stuff..... anything that does not get used much is in a box on a shelf...

Like said above if you have a lot of money tied up in your tools get them insured and take pictures along with documenting serial numbers for the stuff that has S/N's. There were more then a few people int he hangar with boxes full of higher end tools that got broken into and all stolen and they found out the hard way that the company only protects their own losses..... at least one of those guys though did not think he should have to lock his box at end of shift.

I talked to a guy that has one of these (it is full haha) and he took a picture of it next to his old school Impalla.... it is maybe 2 feet shorter on each end then the car...

!B5serew!mk~$(KGrHqN,!h8EycP9OtDsBMut0ndwYw~~_3.JPG

Last edited:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I buy something that is $40K, its gonna have a v8 and 4WD.

I could easily see racking up $40K in tools if you only buy snap-on. even at wholesale pricing, not retail.

I"ve got a little system for my tool buying. if I'm gonna use it frequently, Kobalt or Craftsman. something that I'm gonna use every once in a while, whatever is available in stock anywhere nearby. something that I need for a specific job and don't care afterwards, harbor freight.

used... snap-on if I can find and afford it.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    You ever want to see something interesting look at a bodywork guys toolbox you will somethings youd never imagine to see in a car toolbox. Like did you know hog ring pliers are perfect for removing seat covers? I didn't until a few months ago and I have been in and out of parts stores and working on my own car for quite some time but those bodywork people are a different breed.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If I buy something that is $40K, its gonna have a v8 and 4WD.

I could easily see racking up $40K in tools if you only buy snap-on. even at wholesale pricing, not retail.

I"ve got a little system for my tool buying. if I'm gonna use it frequently, Kobalt or Craftsman. something that I'm gonna use every once in a while, whatever is available in stock anywhere nearby. something that I need for a specific job and don't care afterwards, harbor freight.

used... snap-on if I can find and afford it.

I have very little Snap-On tools. Most of my tools minus specialty items is SK, Craftsman, Wiha, Klein, etc... Quality tools add up quickly.
    I am not opposed to stuff like Harbor Freight, but with that in mind you do get what you pay for...

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    You ever want to see something interesting look at a bodywork guys toolbox you will somethings youd never imagine to see in a car toolbox. Like did you know hog ring pliers are perfect for removing seat covers? I didn't until a few months ago and I have been in and out of parts stores and working on my own car for quite some time but those bodywork people are a different breed.
    actually never knew hog ring pliers had another use.....

Top Bottom