• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    hell, if money is an issue, I just remembered my wife just submitted for her ltch in hendricks county and they were giving away cable locks for free. She grabbed one 'just in case' we needed another. I was like, "well damn, now I have to buy a gun to go with it!". Sadly it didn't work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    There are way too many people with guns today who have no business having them. As responsible gun owners, it is in our best interest to find an answer. Those who should have guns, those who have the mental maturity and discipline to responsibly have them, will soon lose them because of the idiots in our midst like this loser in Salem. A scary percentage of those with access to handguns should not have them.

The solution? It's a difficult one. It can't be age-based, as there are 18 year-olds who can competently possess a gun. Education? Not a good barometer, either. We as responsible gun owners need to take the lead in devising a better way to determine who can legally possess a handgun. We need to do this before it is done for us and in a manner that is not what we want or in our best interest.

Jake I see posts such as this from you from time to time. Some of these even get some members panties in a wad so to speak. And while I appreciate and even agree with some of the underlying logic, I will say that you sometimes come off a little rough and elitist. No criticism just an observation. Some of my stands on certain subjects have been interpreted the same way.

But legislating behavior or forcing a common norm on a citizenry is dangerous. Much the same as mandating training. It all seems simple but in the end who sets the standards and who can oversee the system without abusing their authority? But I so agree and commend your effort to illustrate the point that we are sometimes our own worst enemies.

Now I will leave you with this thought or question. What have you done or are you doing to try to change the public's perception, or help other gun owners be safer/more responsible?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    There are way too many people with guns today who have no business having them. As responsible gun owners, it is in our best interest to find an answer. Those who should have guns, those who have the mental maturity and discipline to responsibly have them, will soon lose them because of the idiots in our midst like this loser in Salem. A scary percentage of those with access to handguns should not have them.

The solution? It's a difficult one. It can't be age-based, as there are 18 year-olds who can competently possess a gun. Education? Not a good barometer, either. We as responsible gun owners need to take the lead in devising a better way to determine who can legally possess a handgun. We need to do this before it is done for us and in a manner that is not what we want or in our best interest.

I see what you did there......

But legislating behavior or forcing a common norm on a citizenry is dangerous. Much the same as mandating training.

I don't believe that this is what Jake meant, although I can see how it is possible to be construed as such.. (see the bolded portions that I highlighted)

VERT said:
    Now I will leave you with this thought or question. What have you done or are you doing to try to change the public's perception, or help other gun owners be safer/more responsible?

This is more along the lines of what Jake was saying IMO.. I believe his stance is that we all need to get off our but-tocks and come up with something (whatever that may be).. before 'they' come up with it 'for' us... This could be educating folks that currently are gun owners, educating those that do not own guns.. anything really.. I think he's just trying to get people to think of ways to help (much the same as you are) :yesway:

Very similar to folks that have a driver's license. The thing is, a driver's license is a privilegs and (as we all know) there are LOTS of folks that drive around dangerously or without a teaspoon of common sense that shouldn't be driving.. similarly, there are lots of gun owners (it is one of our basic human rights) that own guns, that really shouldn't (or should at least seek out some type of training, education, help, or whatever).. wonder how we can effect change :dunno:

Very sad story indeed.. I have 5 children in my house. 12, 9, 5, 4, and 2 1/2... My wife's main concern was that she didn't want anything bad to happen to or because of, my kids. I have a fingerprint safe for my guns and my ammo. If I am home and armed, it's on my hip at all times in a holster. If it's not on my hip, it's in the safe. Too much at stake to not have them secured either in a holster or a safe.

My kids and I were wrestling around the other day.. I had my gun on my hip in the holster.. After we were just about done horsing around, I felt one of the little hands come between my elbow and the grip.. I grabbed his hand firmly (but not painfully) and asked what he was doing ? (it was my 5 yr old).. he said he wanted to touch my gun. I sat down on the couch with him. Dropped the mag and cleared the chamber. I explained the 5 rules to him (4 safety rules plus 'dads' rule.. dad's rule = don't touch my guns without asking dad. If you ask, you may see/touch them).. After he was able to recite the 4 safety rules and what they meant, I allowed him to hold my P11. (he's 5 BTW)... He thought it was very cool and smiled and thanked me. The other 2 younger ones know that it's "daddy's gun" and know not to touch it without asking.

As for my older boys, I've taken them shooting with me multiple times and they're very safety conscious.

Sorry for the long read.. Gotta keep our kids safe or we won't have anyone to shoot with :ar15:

TJJ

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012

Yep... .more gun control is the answer.

Got it.

Thanks.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    See my post above yours. I don't believe he's advocating for gun control.

I believe what Jake was saying was the gun owners should think of something before 'gun control' gets forced on us.

I actually agree with you 100%. I do not believe that Jake thinks we need more legislation. But like you posted above it could definately be interpruted that way.

It is unfortunate to admit, but there are some gun owners that are not as responsible as they should be? I doubt there is a way to ever change that. We should always strive to ask ourselves what we can do to to accomplish the impossible.

Oh and Daddy, I know where you are coming from. My children are 2 and 8. Guns are either on my person or in a locked container. When I tell people that I carry a gun in my home some think I am a crazy paranoid. I explain that if you stop to think about it from a practical perspective a gun on you person is the safest place to store it so that it is still accessible.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You guys are too kind.

Jake is the only one smart or mature enough to carry or even own a gun. :):

We are not worthy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You guys are too kind.

Jake is the only one smart or mature enough to carry or even own a gun. :):

We are not worthy.

Yes I am aware he is infamous. I try to be open minded. :D Besides he is certainly not the first to get others all worked up. Ever read one of the threads comparing OC to CC? :laugh:

It can all be summed up like this - Perception is Reality

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Perhaps it's just my hardened NY Heart. I'm not going to say I don't feel bad, but come on now. To echo CarmelHP, if this weapon could be found by a three year old, and no less discharged by a three year old, someone (Dad) Has been incredibly irresponsible.

Consider the curcumstances (Admittedly not complete) as presented.

1. A 3 year old found and picked up a pistol
    2. Said 3 year old was able to discharge a round
    3. This round killed his father

What conclusions can be drawn? This weapon was obviously in either conditions 1 or 0, and left unattended. I mean, does anyone think it could have been any other way? Who leaves a loaded pistol, with a round chambered, safety possibly on, unattended? People like this man should be responsible gun owners' nightmare. It's a horrible event to be sure, and I am in fact heartbroken for this child, and any other surviving family, but I'm having a hard time mustering up any empathy for the father.

In summation, a terrible event happened, but it happened due to carelessness and/or irresponsibility.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Yes... clearly only the trained professionals should be allowed to have a gun....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU

(PS... With all due respect, I will pass on the "trained professionals" and rely on my self.)

No offense friend, but I haven't seen anyone make that case. I certainly haven't in any case. The retard in that video you posted is no less an irresponsible nitwit than the man in the OP's link. It could be argued he is more irresponsible as he ND'd in a room FULL of bystanders. Fortunately, this jerk only shot himself.

The "gentleman" in the OP's link's transgression has far further reaching waves of impact. Through his own negligence, he has cost himself his life, his family at least one bread-winner - if not sole - and made his 3 year old child into a killer. Accidentally or not, that child will carry that with him UNTIL HIS DYING DAY! So can you seriously sit and even try to compare the two situations on equal ground?

Last edited:

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    gives all gun owners a bad name and sets back the whole fight to retain gun rights in addition to the sad fact the kid will live with. Probably grow up to be another Clinton.

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    very very sad and tragic i have a 6 month old and a almost 2 year old and all mu guns are locked up in my safe in a seperate room they cant get in the only gun loaded in the house is in my nightstand in a single pistol safe thats digital and a key and even that gun has a full mag but desent have a rd in the chamber and once my kids hit 5 ill start instilling gun safety my condolences go out to the family and especially the child

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I kind of agree it'd be nice to have some sort of idiot test for gun ownership... but then, like a drivers license, it becomes a privilege, and is no longer a right. Thats a line I'd prefer not be crossed.

Top Bottom