• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Wow!!! I am wondering if I am biting off too much right now. Got some of the models done but know of at least 2 more things I need to get done. Luckily nothing is too complex a design. Just requires care

Nice part is the newer iPhones have LADAR and will scan. Use that to build around. Bad part is I do t have such a thing.

So I am going to dig into the printers. Dare I ask about modeling software?

The real fun would be a 3D metal printer like the titanium printing SILCA does in Indy.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow!!! I am wondering if I am biting off too much right now. Got some of the models done but know of at least 2 more things I need to get done. Luckily nothing is too complex a design. Just requires care

Nice part is the newer iPhones have LADAR and will scan. Use that to build around. Bad part is I do t have such a thing.

So I am going to dig into the printers. Dare I ask about modeling software?

The real fun would be a 3D metal printer like the titanium printing SILCA does in Indy.
    I started with TinkerCAD, have since purchased a license for SelfCAD. So far I have been able to do everything I wanted. I believe you can also use Blender and Adobe Fusion 360. There are others too. Ultimately the process will be:
    1. build thing you want to print in the modeling software.
    2. Export to stl or obj
    3. Slice with slicer program to create gcode
    4. Print using the gcode
    There is a learning curve, but if you're motivated it can be done.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I started with TinkerCAD, have since purchased a license for SelfCAD. So far I have been able to do everything I wanted. I believe you can also use Blender and Adobe Fusion 360. There are others too. Ultimately the process will be:
    1. build thing you want to print in the modeling software.
    2. Export to stl or obj
    3. Slice with slicer program to create gcode
    4. Print using the gcode
    There is a learning curve, but if you're motivated it can be done.
    You forgot a few steps.

5. Realize you need to make a small change.
    6. Make the small change.
    7. Re-print.
    8. Go back to step 5.

;)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...The real fun would be a 3D metal printer like the titanium printing SILCA does in Indy.
    We get a lot of hardened steel 3D printed parts that we then machine to finish.

Real fun would be getting them out of the printer finish machined. But these machines start at about a million bucks...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We just got this one, metal printer. It’s not hooked up and running yet, but should be interesting.

Attachments

• 786BCEFC-FF14-4521-8073-C62D512175F4.jpeg
      786BCEFC-FF14-4521-8073-C62D512175F4.jpeg
      274.5 KB · Views: 5

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Ive got a Seemecnc Rostockmax v4. I like it but full disclosure, i work there. The thing just runs, can’t remember the last time i had the hot end off. Also I’m a machinist not some printer guru.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I am 95% sure I will be getting the pro. The bed leveling and mapping will be nice. Plus the better feed and higher temp option at the nozzle.
    It's a great machine. If you need any help with it at all don't hesitate to ping me. I don't consider myself an expert but I'm happy to help if I can.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I've always been interested in 3D printers but I really don't know what I would do with one? Making toys and knickknacks would get old for me. What do you guys do with yours?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    For those who want a full-on 3D modeling program, check out Onshape. It free as long as you don’t mind your models being publicly accessible. Subscriptions run $1500-$3500/year depending on features:

This runs completely in the cloud meaning you can run it on any machine and there is no installation, just log on and start modeling. Professional CAD in a web browser, who would have imagined this a few short years ago?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I've always been interested in 3D printers but I really don't know what I would do with one? Making toys and knickknacks would get old for me. What do you guys do with yours?
    Mostly knickknacks.

Most of the actually useful things I've made, like reloading trays, outlet covers, etc, are so cheap that there's not really a cost savings in 3D printing them when you factor in the time involved, I just did them because it's fun for me.

There are, however, a few things that I've 3D printed that would have been difficult or impossible to find a new piece in just the right dimensions, like a battery cover for a clock that was missing one, funnels of just the right size, a toilet that was missing caps for the screws that attach it, etc.

Then, of course, there's 3D printing receivers or parts for firearms. Material that most inexpensive printers are capable of handling is nowhere near as strong as polymer used in commercial firearms production, so there's no way I'd ever recommend it for any serious use, but it can be a fun and surprisingly easy project to 3D print an AR15 lower receiver. When I wanted to play around with 300 blackout in the cheapest gun possible, I went with a BCA upper paired with a 3D printed lower. You can't get even a single shot 300 BO for cheaper than that, and so far it's eaten my 220gr handloads made with reformed 223 brass without a single malfunction. Go figure, lol.

Matt47336

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Fishers
    For my 3D printing set up I use fusion 360 to design everything, lychee slicer for my resin printers and cura for my FDM printers. I have a CR-10, cheap creality resin printer, and a EPAX X10 large format resin printer. Moving into resin printing really changed my perception on making functional parts and objects.

I work at a wood working business and I’ve used my printers to create jigs, parts, etc. and it’s been life changing. Welcome to the amazing world of 3D printing!

Matt47336

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Fishers
    Ive got a Seemecnc Rostockmax v4. I like it but full disclosure, i work there. The thing just runs, can’t remember the last time i had the hot end off. Also I’m a machinist not some printer guru.
    It’s cool to see a 3D printing manufacturer in Indiana. I’ve always been fascinated in the delta printers too. I hear that they can print so much faster than a standard FDM printer. Kudos to you guys at Seemecnc!

Top Bottom