• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Yeah, thingiverse is a great place to find accessories.

If you want to find actually gun parts like 3d printed lowers (still legal, by the way, as far as I know...) go to odysee or ctrlpew. Or so I've heard, never been there myself, of course.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm going to try 3D printing someday, but use it to make obsolete gun parts. So much stuff I work on has unobtainium parts that could be replaced with a good structural plastic one inside the gun.

It would be worth it just to disassemble one of my Merwins or Coopers and make a set of parts.

ReverendEK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I'm going to try 3D printing someday, but use it to make obsolete gun parts…
    I read on the magical scrolls of the internet, that the lower can be polymer. Just your essentials that are in direct contact with the explosion have to be metal?

I am not a gun smith. I’m just nosy.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I kinda wanna sit down and watch it be done before I put one in my hands/face. PSR makes it looks easy but he’s also very sponsored
    Depending on what exactly you want to print, getting started can be a lot easier and safer than you'd expect. An AR-15 lower is actually a great place to start. There are good designs out there that require far less processing than, for instance, 3d printed glock frames. Plus, even if you have a catastrophic failure in the lower, there is very slim chance of it resulting in injury to the shooter.

But yeah, it'd still be really nice if it was easier to find people that you can meet up with irl who are into this hobby and can actually show you the process involved, instead of just watching videos online. Who knows, maybe there will be somebody bring a 3d-printed gun to the INGO shoot in Brazil this Saturday...

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I’m nowhere near Brazil, but I am in Bloomington and would be happy to sit down with you and talk what I know (not a ton).
    There are some good designs that use commonly available parts and are easy to build. There are some really cool 10/22 projects out there including the bento box and the sub 1kg build that uses carbon fiber for the stock tube and part of the barrel tube.
    Those would be my recommendations if someone were wanting to start with printing actually functioning tools.
    I WOULD NOT suggest talking to the guys printing frames at the 1500. I talked to one guy who was selling machines and then also selling a bunch of files that can be found online for free. Completely rubbed me the wrong way and tried to say that he added a few files from his personal collection.
    He was also printing in silk pla, which is known to have issues with layer adhesion and would NOT be a recommended filament to use for firearms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I missed this when it premiered but this is an interview with Ivan the Troll (Navi). Ivan discusses printing with a Zytel variant, which IIRC is what he did the CETME Model C in:

Top Bottom