• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's actually has pretty good penetration even at 650-700fps.
    My parents are getting up there in years and I load them up some that to me feel like a 22lr.
    Mom shoots it well so does dad. I'd rather see them put 5rds into a bad guy than miss because of recoil they can't handle anymore. Plus a 38 special is much more reliable than 22lr ammunition. I load them up in nickel plated brass for corrosion resistance. I do their cleaning and lube every six months or as needed.

Have you ever loaded 38 Special with black powder or a substitute?

I use 3F BP with 148 HBWC in Colt Lightnings. The hollow base bumps up to fit the .375 bore as the old 38 Long Colt was a heeled cartridge. Never have had an issue.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Interesting video...he covered the difference between a standard pressure round and a +P round in both a 4" and 2" revolver...and the differences are very easy to see, first-hand.
    I've carried a snub-nosed .38 special as an EDC for many years...and have always been comfortable with it as a self-defense caliber!
    Many people are more hung up on the 'wonder-9's' but seem to forget that the 9mm hasn't necessarily made the 'oldies' obsolete!
    My EDC is a .45acp. I don't mess with the little guys.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    OK!!! Just saying 45 doesn’t always equate to game over LOL
    Nothing really does. I just like my bullets like me, slow, fat and heavy. Anone thinking that their pistol is a one shot show stopper in every case is sorely mistaken.

But we do know when the .45acp does do the trick, it also takes their soul.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    How do we know that wasn't a ricochet or went through 3 walls and a door before hitting his head?
    All joking aside, This meme was from a LE site and the story was he was shot by a Deputy in Florida. Looking at the perfect circle diameter of the round that’s exposed I highly doubt it bounced off anything. Looks like an episode of Dr Pimple Popper itching to be filmed!

That said I’ve seen several dozen Federal inmates in my career that were shot with everything from 9,40,45,10mm 38, 357 even a few 5.56, 7.62 rifle wounds and 12 Ga with 00 buck walking around (ok some limping) Unless it’s a Thoracic or brain stem hit they are probably gonna survive

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    All joking aside, This meme was from a LE site and the story was he was shot by a Deputy in Florida. Looking at the perfect circle diameter of the round that’s exposed I highly doubt it bounced off anything. Looks like an episode of Dr Pimple Popper itching to be filmed!

That said I’ve seen several dozen Federal inmates in my career that were shot with everything from 9,40,45,10mm 38, 357 even a few 5.56, 7.62 rifle wounds and 12 Ga with 00 buck walking around (ok some limping) Unless it’s a Thoracic or brain stem hit they are probably gonna survive
    Not possible. The TV says instant death from gunshot wounds and the prez even said a 9mm blows the lungs out of the body.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The rule of thumb for BP cartridges is use enough powder so when you seat the bullet it compresses the powder somewhat. In a 38 LC. which is somewhat shorter than a 38 special but the same diameter I use the .7CC Lee dipper. I also have the end of the bullet protrude from the case as a visible insurance policy to keep smokeless ammo out of BP guns.

When you make cartridges for guns that were made on the historical line between BP and smokeless it's good to have some quick reference to tell them apart. I use different bullets and or positions, but another quick test is the fingernail as soft lead goes in all the bullets I load for BP.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The rule of thumb for BP cartridges is use enough powder so when you seat the bullet it compresses the powder somewhat. In a 38 LC. which is somewhat shorter than a 38 special but the same diameter I use the .7CC Lee dipper. I also have the end of the bullet protrude from the case as a visible insurance policy to keep smokeless ammo out of BP guns.

When you make cartridges for guns that were made on the historical line between BP and smokeless it's good to have some quick reference to tell them apart. I use different bullets and or positions, but another quick test is the fingernail as soft lead goes in all the bullets I load for BP.
    I'd be loading and shooting in a modern revolver. Just want to have that puff of smoke for fun. My son might be interested in this for his 45colt SAA as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    BP is never easy on guns and I wish there was a non corrosive substitute, but cleaning both the guns and the cartridges is a necessity if you like shooting things like Colt Lightnings.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    BP is never easy on guns and I wish there was a non corrosive substitute, but cleaning both the guns and the cartridges is a necessity if you like shooting things like Colt Lightnings.
    Can't be much worse than cleaning a semi-auto rifle after shooting corrosive ammunition, or BP rifles.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.

If memory serves correctly, the original .38 Long Colt cartridge was loaded with a 150 gr. lead bullet over 18 gr. of black powder.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If memory serves correctly, the original .38 Long Colt cartridge was loaded with a 150 gr. lead bullet over 18 gr. of black powder.

Probably true, but that would be a heeled bullet, a complication I've tried so avoid by using hollow base bullets. I may get back into heeled stuff, but it will be down the road.

Top Bottom