• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I just picked up a 1911 clone that I think is chambered in .38 Super.
    The seller called it .38 special but the .38 special does not fit in the magazine.
    So, I went all over town last night just to pick up a box of .38 super and NOBODY has any!
    Is there anybody here (hopefully around the Terre haute area) who would sell me some? If you reload I would be happy to bring back the used brass after I test fire the gun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Find out what the pistol was made for first! There were .38 special models, but they shot flat nosed full wadcutter bullets, as a normal .38 would be too long. These were a very accurate target gun. Will empty .38 spl brass load in the magazine? Does the rim of the .38 case fit under the extractor when you hand cycle the slide. Does the slide return to full forward position when a .38 SPL brass is in the chamber? If so, you do have a .38 spl wadcutter pistol. If not, I would have the pistol double checked. Over the years, the 1911 has been chambered for 9mm Largo, 9 X 25 wildcat, as well as .38 super, and many other small productions that never really took off. Make sure you know what you have before you try any live ammo.

BTW, a true .38 spl wadcutter pistol has a VERY light return spring( like 09 or 10 lbs). Bullseye shooters would match a spring to the load they use, so you might have to tune the ammo/spring combination.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Remington & winchester make 130 grain FMJ, I think Winchester makes a self defense hollow point. Should be as easy as asking for a few boxes at the local gun pusher.

It is not nearly as popular as 45 ACP or 9mm but it should not be to hard to find as euro's love the round. You should be able to find 38 ACP also. It would be like shooting 38 specials out of a 357.

lucky gunner has the rems in stock if you will pay shipping. 38 Super Ammo | Bulk .38 Super Ammunition For Sale Cheap

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    look on line there is plenty of super ammo......i have plenty of super if you want to travel to Greene County for a test fire....if you don't like i might buy it....

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Find out what the pistol was made for first! There were .38 special models, but they shot flat nosed full wadcutter bullets, as a normal .38 would be too long. These were a very accurate target gun. Will empty .38 spl brass load in the magazine? Does the rim of the .38 case fit under the extractor when you hand cycle the slide. Does the slide return to full forward position when a .38 SPL brass is in the chamber? If so, you do have a .38 spl wadcutter pistol. If not, I would have the pistol double checked. Over the years, the 1911 has been chambered for 9mm Largo, 9 X 25 wildcat, as well as .38 super, and many other small productions that never really took off. Make sure you know what you have before you try any live ammo.

BTW, a true .38 spl wadcutter pistol has a VERY light return spring( like 09 or 10 lbs). Bullseye shooters would match a spring to the load they use, so you might have to tune the ammo/spring combination.

This was a very interesting reply.
    So I went upstairs and got some empty .38spl brass. And Shazam! the empty .38 spl brass loads in the mgazine and cycles through the gun without a hitch.
    The barrel says (.38 spl NM) so... I guess the search for .38 super is off and I need to look for some .38spl flat wadcutters.
    As far as a very light return spring, this slide is VERY difficult to move to the rear by hand.
    I will try to post some pictures of it this afternoon.
    :ar15: :ingo:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    This was a very interesting reply.
    So I went upstairs and got some empty .38spl brass. And Shazam! the empty .38 spl brass loads in the mgazine and cycles through the gun without a hitch.
    The barrel says (.38 spl NM) so... I guess the search for .38 super is off and I need to look for some .38spl flat wadcutters.
    As far as a very light return spring, this slide is VERY difficult to move to the rear by hand.
    I will try to post some pictures of it this afternoon.
    :ar15: :ingo:

Sounds like you have a Colt MKIII Mid Range to me! If so that is a helluva find. I had one but basically had it stolen from me, that's another story though. The gun is set up to shoot light .38 Special wad cutters for Bulls Eye matches. Try to post some pics up. I'd be interested in it if you want to get rid of it.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    THe firearm has no distinctive markings on it at all except for the serial number and barrel markings. And yes it does say "Colt .38 spl NM Mk III"
    The slide looks like it has been chromed or nickle plated. I can only presume that this process has removed any pre-existing markings on the gun.
    Photos...
    630542552_photobucket_47733_.jpg

630542552_photobucket_47735_.jpg

630542552_photobucket_47734_-1.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That is a Colt National Match MKIII Mid Range. It was designed to shoot 38 Special wad cutters for bulls eye shooting. They are very accurate guns and punch pretty round holes in targets. The MKIII and the S&W Model 52s were used in bulls eye matches back in the day. Looks as if someone "Pimped" it up some but it should still be a fine shooter for ya. You want to shoot .38 Special wad cutter match ammo out of it for the best results. :twocents:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Back when the Il troopers were carrying Smith 9mms I used to hang out at one of their ranges...whenever one of them would have trouble qualifying with his mod.39 or 59
    he'd grab his smith 52. I don't know if that was kosher but the range boss didn't carp
    about it.
    Now it seems those guns are rare. But then bullseye shooting[what they were built
    for] is not so common.

Top Bottom