• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    I'm new to reloading and have started with reloading .38 spl. I'm using 700X powder because I couldn't find anything else. I have extra .357 cases that I would like to use this powder in. My question is, can I use this powder in the.357 cases using the same .38 spl. load? Thanks

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Since the .357 case is longer, yes you can. Only difference being the pressure will be lower since there is more space in the case causing lower velocity. This is where a chrono would come in handy.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Hodgen has a great online manual. Was just introduced to me yesterday by another INGO member. Check it out, it does show you can use 700X in both 38 and 357. Check it out...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would not. Extra case space and small amounts of powder may result in incomplete burn. Incomplete burn sucks, not only in terms of inconsistent loads but in terms of filth and unburnt powder in the nooks and crannies of the gun which can cause malfunctioning.

Load 38 using 38 recipes and 357 using 357 recipes. If there happens to be some overlap, go ahead but don't just assume it'll work.

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I would not. Extra case space and small amounts of powder may result in incomplete burn. Incomplete burn sucks, not only in terms of inconsistent loads but in terms of filth and unborn powder in the nooks and crannies of the gun which can cause malfunctioning.

Load 38 using 38 recipes and 357 using 357 recipes. If there happens to be some overlap, go ahead but don't just assume it'll work.

This is exactly the right answer! Never assume something is ok just because it seems close or "fine". NEVER guess. If you don't KNOW don't chance it.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    The 357 cases are actually longer than the 38 spcl...so you'll have to reset your dies for them. I've crushed a few cases forgetting.

I found a good set of used Lee dies. Looking for a second set now. I have no problem with a set for each round...saves setup time, just my humble opinion...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    BBI is spot on with his comments.
    NEVER just assume when it comes to reloading.
    Find some valid published data before proceeding.
    I'm certain that there are plenty of recommended loads listed in the manuals for .357 with 700-X, but don't try and plug in .38 Special data, premised on the fact that the strouter .357 brass will allow it.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I mostly concur with all of the advice, but I'm guessing that maybe you have seen some data with different powders being of equal proportions , especially with lead wad cutters or semi-wad cutters less magnum primers. I don't have my books handy right now but will research and point you in the right direction tomorrow if I can. My rule has always been to follow published data from the powder manufacturer and do it letter perfect. I've never been one to free-lance it it so my advice will always err on the side of caution..... with magnum loads especially.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I found a good set of used Lee dies. Looking for a second set now. I have no problem with a set for each round...saves setup time, just my humble opinion...

I have reloaded for my .357's since the mid 70's, and never owned .357 dies. I would not worry about separate .357 dies. If you really do not want to screw your die body lock ring settings the .150", RCBS and Redding (and probably others) make a calibrated spacer washer kit to make the settings on .38spl dies work with .357 cases.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I have reloaded for my .357's since the mid 70's, and never owned .357 dies. I would not worry about separate .357 dies. If you really do not want to screw your die body lock ring settings the .150", RCBS and Redding (and probably others) make a calibrated spacer washer kit to make the settings on .38spl dies work with .357 cases.

I will check on that...thank you.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash

Redding Die Spacer .135 Height (38 Special 357 Mag)

Just looked online and found this...good grief, looks to easy. Alot cheaper than another set of dies. Thank you for telling me about this...

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I have checked some loads with win 231 in 38 special vs 357 mag cases.
    To get the same velocity, the 357 case needs about 1 grain more of powder.
    So to be more economical with powder use 38 special cases.
    I save the 357 cases for full power loads.

Top Bottom