• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    What are some good powders for 357 mag reloads? Use will be target practice at range.

I have reloaded titegroup & H110. I really liked the H110, it felt like a true 357 mag. H110 is difficult to find, so I wanted something that is rather accessible with the same punch.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I agree with your choice of H110. It is all I have ever used for .357 magnum loads. It has been readily available online lately as has W296. I was in Profire a few days ago and they had a shelf full of Hodgdon Longshot which the Hodgdon website lists for .357 mag loads. I picked some up but I haven't opened it. The max load of Longshot shows 600 CUP more pressure than the max load of H110 but 300FPS slower. It also looks like there is a possibility of double-charging a case. Maybe someone else will chime in about Longshot but it's an option that may at least keep you shooting.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    AA#9 Old school, a little dirty, meters perfect, makes serious velocity, greal shot to shot consistancy/accuracy. It is not unstable at lower pressure, it just gets a little more sooty.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    If seeking to develop your distance abilities then 296 or H110.
    At lesser distances use what is of lesser cost and tailor loads to be accurate in your piece.

(wheel weights are your friend)

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    As mentioned. I was looking for that punch that h110 offers. I wasn't sure if there were others out there that offer that kind of punch.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Its hard to get the punch that H110 offers unless you use a magnum pistol powder. 296, 2400, 300-MP, or Lil Gun will all give you that punch. 300-MP is slow burning and throws a big flame out of the muzzle.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The problem I have with magnum powders is you can't use them with lead or coated bullets...only FMJ projectiles.(according to my 2 reloading manuals).I want to stick with coated in the long run so is that going to limit me?

<I'm still searching for a good thumping 357 load for my Rossi to plink with...so I enjoy these threads! :) >

Atterbury had H110 a few months back. May be hard to find right now because the Skeet/Trap guys are buying it to reload this winter?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've done 100s of rounds of .357 using Accurate #5. H110 works great also.

What is your load? I have a couple pounds and am going to load some up to see how they feel. According to Lee they should thump more if I go just off the pressure developed numbers in the loading manual.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    What is your load? I have a couple pounds and am going to load some up to see how they feel. According to Lee they should thump more if I go just off the pressure developed numbers in the loading manual.

I don't recall from memory but I'll look it up in my logbook and let you know. But I'm sure it was from published load data.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    87iroc,

I see that I was using 125 gr FN cast lead with 8.5 - 9.0 gr of Accurate #5. According to their load data, 9.9 gr is the max load but I never went above 9.0 since I was getting good results and wasn't looking to press the envelope. I didn't chrono any .357's as I usually only do that with rifle loads.

I didn't notice any incomplete burning as another poster mentioned and my only complaint is that the cast lead bullets were a bit dirty but that's to be expected.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have tried most of the above mentioned powders, I settled on Vihta Vuori N110 several years ago. (I use a small rifle primer, for thr 357, as was listed on one of their older manuals)

I get great performance and consistency across the board with different bullet weights and charges, best magnum powder (for my 44 and 357 loads) on the market, expensive, but worth it!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    If anyone knows where there is some 2400 to be had, let me know please! It is my go to magnum powder....296 requires a magnum primer and I dont like having that much variety in primers.

God bless
    -Shred

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    "The problem I have with magnum powders is you can't use them with lead or coated bullets"..

Sure wish ya wouldnt have told me that.........guess ive been doing it wrong all these years????

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "The problem I have with magnum powders is you can't use them with lead or coated bullets"..

Sure wish ya wouldnt have told me that.........guess ive been doing it wrong all these years????

When the .357 was developed it was a lead bullet load from the factory. So was the Elmer Keith .44 spl load that became the .44 Rem Mag. That was a long time ago.

I have reloading books from the 70's and 80's that have a lot of cast bullet data in them. Unfortunately they are also for obsolete powders like ALcan, Herco or Scott 100. The newer reloading manuals have very little cast bullet info. They have gone away like paper shotshells with cork wads. (I still have a punch for cutting 12 gauge wads from a sheet of cork stashed away somewhere)

As mentioned, you can certainly use cast bullets, but it can be a little tricky and there is a lot less info available these days.

Just to help us to have more open options, I run both coated and plated bullets above 1100 fps on a regular basis with no problems. That should get you into .357 mag territory.

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the info. I was just going off whats in my reloading manuals that I was told "I need to get 2 or 3 of" before I started reloading. So I am going off of that information.

Top Bottom