.357 mag or .44 mag That is the question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I have a 357 Rossi, and it is super light and accurate. It’s a great compliment to a 357 handgun.

I also have a Henry 357, and it’s nice but it is significantly heavier, and it just doesn’t come out much.

Attachments

• IMG_7381.jpeg
      IMG_7381.jpeg
      357.5 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_7382.jpeg
      IMG_7382.jpeg
      278.8 KB · Views: 7

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had a Rossi 92 in 44 mag. I didn't like the price of the ammo or the recoil for plinking. I bought three 44 bullet molds, none of which would cast a round bullet. A problem I've never had with any other bullet mold. I then bought a lube & resizing die, then sold it & got a Rossi 92 in 357 mag, which made more sense for me since I have 357 mag pistols. Home defense, I like 357. For deer hunting, I like 44 mag better but 357 does the job. Plinking, 38 special is nice. If I were in bear country, 44mag definitely, because why not have more power?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    357 in my area are more available, cost less, for reloading has more options. That’s is my experience.
    Shot a few 44 mags, one in a Blackhawk that was memorable, it was so accurate.
    Just sold a Gp100 6in in 357 because it wasn’t accurate enough. Does this help?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fellow gun patrons,

I have gone through the research and I have my own opinion on this topic but thought I would open it up for discussion. .357 vs .44 ... Carry weapon, home protection, muzzle flash wow factor, big animal protection while in the wilderness, lever action and SAA western shooting... Bring what you have for opinions and experience!
    So far I did not read all the responses but I don’t expect they help you decide so get one of each.

I chose 44 mag just because and have a couple of S&W revolvers and a couple of lever actions in 44 mag. The long one leaves my shoulder bruised and shooting the 44 special out of it is thumbs up.

I have one .357 and have yet to shoot it but think it would also be a good round. Not many bears around here so…

I also have a S&W 500 magnum in case we get invaded by bears.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So far I did not read all the responses but I don’t expect they help you decide so get one of each.

I chose 44 mag just because and have a couple of S&W revolvers and a couple of lever actions in 44 mag. The long one leaves my shoulder bruised and shooting the 44 special out of it is thumbs up.

I have one .357 and have yet to shoot it but think it would also be a good round. Not many bears around here so…

How about Canadian Super Pigs?
    They are supposed to be invading soon.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Well, this week the answer is .44. I just stumbled into this the other day to keep my Model 69 company. Bigger, lighter, more sight radius, more muzzle velocity...it'll be good company on the trail in AK this summer. At least that's how I sold it to my wife ;).

IMG_20240116_184933712_HDR~2.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Shot and loaded a lot of both in Ruger Single actions and Smith revolvers. Some in Winchester levers. It's not fun.

Lot better options these days. Revolvers and levers both got gone.

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers

I am going to keep the .44 mag revolver and likely pickup a rifle this year to caliber match. Already bought the reloading does and holster... So essentially... It is over

Top Bottom