• ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    .35REM

As the proud owner and user of the .35rem, I look forward to hearing more about your trials with the shorter cased round. In VA the .35 was one of my go to deer hunting rifles. I've take a few deer with it in VA and would love to be able to use it for deer here in IN. If you want I can save all my .35 brass from here on out for you. Just let me know.
    picture.php

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As the proud owner and user of the .35rem, I look forward to hearing more about your trials with the shorter cased round. In VA the .35 was one of my go to deer hunting rifles. I've take a few deer with it in VA and would love to be able to use it for deer here in IN. If you want I can save all my .35 brass from here on out for you. Just let me know.
    picture.php

Well, you should always save brass! :)

That is a great-looking lever gun and if you're interested in learning how to reload, you might be able to make it your go-to rifle for Indiana deer hunting, as well. I'll even show you the basics, unless you want to take a class on it. For detail-oriented people, reloading is a great hobby and pass time.

If you want to save your once-fired brass, I'll gladly pay you a small sum for it. I have over 20 reloading die sets on the shelf, but 35 Remington is not yet among them. That will change in a month or two. I'm hoping to have a gun like yours ready to present to my wife for her birthday, in early May.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Well, you should always save brass! :)

That is a great-looking lever gun and if you're interested in learning how to reload, you might be able to make it your go-to rifle for Indiana deer hunting, as well. I'll even show you the basics, unless you want to take a class on it. For detail-oriented people, reloading is a great hobby and pass time.

If you want to save your once-fired brass, I'll gladly pay you a small sum for it. I have over 20 reloading die sets on the shelf, but 35 Remington is not yet among them. That will change in a month or two. I'm hoping to have a gun like yours ready to present to my wife for her birthday, in early May.

Now look friends, it just don't (yeah, bad English) get no better than that.

Every shooter SHOULD be a realoader/handloader and every reloader/handloader SHOULD be a bullet caster.

IMO

Klah Taxidermy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    Definitely going to try this round. Nothing too lose.
    Nothing can be better than taking an H&R rifle that almost everyone owns and putting a lower cost together for Indiana deer hunting. If I can put a 200 yard gun into my daughters and wifes hands for deer season that would be great.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I think if I was going to start with an H&R SB2 in 357 and have it rechambered to 35 Remington, I might consider contacting David White about an alternative that's even better. He has suggested using 303 British brass as the parent and basically creating a 35 Remington-Rimmed. This would headspace better in the single-shot action and also let you work with pressures up to 50,000psi, due to the stronger 303 British case. You would still use 35 Remington dies, although the case-forming effort would require quite a bit more trimming. This would give you performance that is somewhere between a 35 Remington and 356/358 Win.

The same thing could be done with an Encore, although full-length 35 caliber barrels are not as readily available and the entire project would probably cost at least twice as much.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Definitely going to try this round. Nothing too lose.
    Nothing can be better than taking an H&R rifle that almost everyone owns and putting a lower cost together for Indiana deer hunting. If I can put a 200 yard gun into my daughters and wifes hands for deer season that would be great.

Good point, Klah!

Hey, your wife already shoots the .358/25 WSSM! She kills big deer with it as a matter of fact.

Klah Taxidermy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    That she does, brother.
    3 years,3 days, 3 very nice bucks.
    Funny she never knew she was using the .358/WSSM on the last one.

Here is my goal. Give the common hunter a gun that they can easily get ammo for and shoot MOA groups. If trimming a case is all that needs to be done then that to me is success. Just my goal.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    That she does, brother.
    3 years,3 days, 3 very nice bucks.
    Funny she never knew she was using the .358/WSSM on the last one.

Here is my goal. Give the common hunter a gun that they can easily get ammo for and shoot MOA groups. If trimming a case is all that needs to be done then that to me is success. Just my goal.

I'm witcha brotha! ;)

(Just a throw back to my days growing up in DEEEtroit! ;) )

Yes, 35Rem SHORT for deer in Indiana. Meets the criteria if the case is shortened. Something to think about!

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm witcha brotha! ;)

Yes, 35Rem SHORT for deer in Indiana. Meets the criteria if the case is shortened. Something to think about!

You are talking about a reduction of .295 of the overall cartridge?? right? Nope.. Just saw the 1.8. So, just .12, or less if you don't seat the bullet as deep? And don't load more than one in the mag tube....Seems like an awful lot of work.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've got an old cut down Model 8 in .35 rem. I mainly just plink with it using a cast 165 gr bullet over 20.0gr of 2400. I trimmed down a few cases and have cycled them though the action with no troubles. I plan on taking them with me to the range and keeping them at the bottom of the mag for ten shots or so of full power ammo to check for set back. My plan is if there isn't enough neck tension is to remove the sizing button from the decapping rod and use my Lee universal case flaring tool.

I came up with this idea a couple of months ago but have been too busy with other things to really experiment.

Doug K

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You are talking about a reduction of .295 of the overall cartridge?? right? Nope.. Just saw the 1.8. So, just .12, or less if you don't seat the bullet as deep? And don't load more than one in the mag tube....Seems like an awful lot of work.

Well, compared to the work that goes into the WSSM/WSM wildcats, it would not only be less work but far less cost. I mean, all you're really doing is trimming 1/8" off the neck and then loading to the same OAL. That doesn't seem like a lot of work to me. Let me tell you about my 30 Herrett. :D

You can buy the 357 Magnum barrel on an SB1 or SB2 frame. If you have an existing SB2 frame, you can ship it to H&R and they'll fit a 357 Magnum barrel on it. This would be what many guys have used for the 357 Max and would also be suitable for a 35 Remington short. (The 35 Remington is larger in all dimensions.) A Rimmed 35 Rem, using 303 British brass, is another option that you might be able to push a bit harder. Then again, there are some folks who suggest you can wring a bit more out of a 35 Remington case, if you're using a strong enough action.

Klah Taxidermy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    There are some H&R rifles chambered in the 35 Remington still out there. Have been seeing them in the $300 range. Going to call H&R tomorrow to see if they would chamber one. If not I guess $300 is not bad for a trial.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

The 1.8" is as you noticed, case only measurement. So as others have said, about 1/8". Not much purchase in the neck, and that is what we are trying to hammer out here, is it enough?

Personally, and I will have to work on this with someone else's rifle as I don't have one in this caliber, how does a crimp affect how the bullet gets held there?

It is worth a try. It could put a lot more of "grandpa's guns" in the field this coming year. Have to wait and see how the accuracy turns out.

FWIW

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I've got an old cut down Model 8 in .35 rem. I mainly just plink with it using a cast 165 gr bullet over 20.0gr of 2400. I trimmed down a few cases and have cycled them though the action with no troubles. I plan on taking them with me to the range and keeping them at the bottom of the mag for ten shots or so of full power ammo to check for set back. My plan is if there isn't enough neck tension is to remove the sizing button from the decapping rod and use my Lee universal case flaring tool.

I came up with this idea a couple of months ago but have been too busy with other things to really experiment.

Doug K

Doug,
    Do you have one of their Factory Crimp Dies for the 35Rem? That might be the ticket to get them to shoot right. Not sure what you might have to do to get it to reach the shortened case length though. I will have to take a look at the dies I have. Can't remember what brand they are.

Klah Taxidermy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    Have read a couple of threads on other forums about this same topic. Someone mentioned talking about Rep. from Barnes stating that the min. neck length can be .125 long and for the crimp they are cutting down the crimp die to help.
    Really think this is the low dollar round to look at.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    No FCD for the .35. It's always worked fine without a crimp. I'm sure the auto loading action is much harsher than a kevergun but even with the stubby little SWC's it's had no issues.

Just because I love to show it off here's a couple of pics

Model8.jpg

Model8ammo.jpg

Model8ammoClose.jpg

Doug K

Top Bottom