• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a friend that has a S&W Lemon Squeezer that will only load S&W shorts not .32 S&W long. I thought the .32 Lemon Squeezer was always long. Right now he loads the brass he has with Goex FFFg compressing the powder, card wad, and SPG lubed lead bullets. I told him to look and see if maybe there is a carbon ring keeping the S&W Long from chambering. I can't look at the gun as he is in Florida. Anyone know if I am right on the chambering?

jcj54

Marksman
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The lemon squeezer was only .32 S&W and .38 S&W.
    The S&W Long was never chambered in that revolver.

Mar 10, 2021
    Indiana
    The S&W Lemon Squeezer typically chambers .32 S&W Long. It's a good idea for your friend to check for any obstructions or carbon buildup preventing proper chambering.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in "the day" you had "chambered for" and "what fits" with revolvers. Early guns had bored through cylinders simply because the manufacturing process was simpler. My old Colt 1889, top gun in picture, made in 1892 will easily chamber a 357 magnum loaded with a 125 grain JHP, might even fire it more than once, but it's not something to do. It was made for 38 LC, a similar but much less powerful cartridge.

I don't have a 32 Lemon Squeezer, mine are all 38 S&W, but I'll use the Merwin in the bottom of the picture as a comparison. It easily accepts 32 S&W long cartridges, with careful hand loading I could probably use 32 S&W long brass to shoot in it, much the same as using 357 brass in the old Colt.

So in a certain way you both can be right as with these old guns power level of the cartridge is what actually determines use.

chambers.jpg

Last edited:

jcj54

Marksman
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    In Jenks book on S & W he states that the new departure revolvers which includes the lemon squeezer were chambered in .32 S&W and .38 S&W. He should know, he worked there....

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Back in "the day" you had "chambered for" and "what fits" with revolvers. Early guns had bored through cylinders simply because the manufacturing process was simpler. My old Colt 1889, top gun in picture, made in 1892 will easily chamber a 357 magnum loaded with a 125 grain JHP, might even fire it more than once, but it's not something to do. It was made for 38 LC, a similar but much less powerful cartridge.

I don't have a 32 Lemon Squeezer, mine are all 38 S&W, but I'll use the Merwin in the bottom of the picture as a comparison. It easily accepts 32 S&W long cartridges, with careful hand loading I could probably use 32 S&W long brass to shoot in it, much the same as using 357 brass in the old Colt.

So in a certain way you both can be right as with these old guns power level of the cartridge is what actually determines use.

View attachment 300846
    I knew a guy who would grind off the nose of .38 Specials to get them to fit in the cylinder of a .38 S&W.

You ain't just a woof'n about 'chambered for' and 'fits'...

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    In Jenks book on S & W he states that the new departure revolvers which includes the lemon squeezer were chambered in .32 S&W and .38 S&W. He should know, he worked there....
    Mr Jenks was a nice guy. I called S&W to date an early pistol (4 digit serial number) in .44 Russian and they put me straight through to him on the phone (this was while he worked there). He had me get out the calipers and measure the cylinder and all, he said it was a nice piece of history I had there. Then I told him I could even read the date printed across the bottom of the grip (they had this from the factory but wore off after very little use). He asked me if I wanted to donate it to the museum for a tax letter, I had to decline...

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

View attachment 300846
    A quick question, I don't own a .38 S&W at this time, but would a factory .38 wad cutter chamber?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    A quick question, I don't own a .38 S&W at this time, but would a factory .38 wad cutter chamber?

Lets find out.

Pulled 6 S&W top breaks in 38 S&W, and 3 Merwins in 38 S&W. None will accept 38 special wad cutters or empty cases. The 32 Merwin accepts 32 S&W long, as does the Forehand and Wadsworth Bulldog. I don't have any top breaks in 32 S&W.

32s.jpg 38swsw.jpg mh38sw.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Lets find out.

Pulled 6 S&W top breaks in 38 S&W, and 3 Merwins in 38 S&W. None will accept 38 special wad cutters or empty cases. The 32 Merwin accepts 32 S&W long, as does the Forehand and Wadsworth Bulldog. I don't have any top breaks in 32 S&W.

View attachment 301539 View attachment 301540 View attachment 301541
    Thank you for answering that question for me. Saves me having to buy another gun in an archaic round, as if I don't already have several...

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Forehand and Wadsworth copied the British and Belgian Bulldog style revolvers, which were quite popular in the US.
    I picked one up at my LGS a few years back for $100 in good working order. It had minor cosmetic issues but cleaned up nicely. It found a new home or I would show you a pic...

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Mr Jenks was a nice guy. I called S&W to date an early pistol (4 digit serial number) in .44 Russian and they put me straight through to him on the phone (this was while he worked there). He had me get out the calipers and measure the cylinder and all, he said it was a nice piece of history I had there. Then I told him I could even read the date printed across the bottom of the grip (they had this from the factory but wore off after very little use). He asked me if I wanted to donate it to the museum for a tax letter, I had to decline...
    1695733355713.jpeg
    I got this one from a widow who's husband had in his possession since 1968. It had a 2000's serial number, was made in .44 Russian and is the same as John Wesley Hardin carried in his later "lawyer" years. It was shipped from the factory in 1881 which was a full year before the next less serial number shipped. Mr Jenks is the one who helped me find all this out, all over the telephone. Nice guy.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    View attachment 301606
    I got this one from a widow who's husband had in his possession since 1968. It had a 2000's serial number, was made in .44 Russian and is the same as John Wesley Hardin carried in his later "lawyer" years. It was shipped from the factory in 1881 which was a full year before the next less serial number shipped. Mr Jenks is the one who helped me find all this out, all over the telephone. Nice guy.

I have one of those that I make 44 Russian BP cartridges for. Short ones like yours are hard to find.

Top Bottom