• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I really like the Ruger American for hunting. This year is the first time I have missed a deer that was in the crosshairs (100+ yard offhand shot). All others were dead in a minute or less.
    img_8202-small-jpg.67521

4 shots, 100 yards

1616370328424-png.131905

2020 doe

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The Savage Axis II with Accutrigger is a very good rifle at this price point. Savage makes good bolt guns.

Although they are no longer being produced, the Remington 783 would also be a good choice if you were to find a used one in good shape. I helped my buddy get his .308 sighted in and was impressed with how well it shot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Concise thread title: "Best 308 bolt action under $500?"

Uninformative thread title: "308" or "handgun"
    Yes please!

To the OP;

I'd shop the classifieds, looking for a level or two up on the cheapest .308 bolt guns.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My LGS took a like new TC Compass in .308 in trade yesterday. If the money in my pocket wasn't already spent it would have come home with me for sure...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Define best. The intended use would be helpful as well. Is the best rifle the one that will print the smallest groups? Or does it have a solid, comfortable stock, smooth action and feed reliably without hangups? In most cases, I would trade a bit of theoretical accuracy for a better stock and a smoother rifle but I don't spend any more time shooting from a bench than I absolutely have to.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Define best. The intended use would be helpful as well. Is the best rifle the one that will print the smallest groups? Or does it have a solid, comfortable stock, smooth action and feed reliably without hangups? In most cases, I would trade a bit of theoretical accuracy for a better stock and a smoother rifle but I don't spend any more time shooting from a bench than I absolutely have to.
    I have two 308. One a precision bolt action rifle, and on the heavy side, also an AR-10 which is also heavy but has a different purpose. I gave my youngest son my only light weight 308 I had a Remington 700. I plan on adding another bolt action. I'm looking at the American, or the Thompson Center Venture 2 for a light weight hunter bolt action rifle.

Dakota4242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Ligonier
    Hunting purpose

Top Bottom