• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    IDK what I did, but I screwed up a few .308 brass while resizing today. Reloading Sages of INGO...please help...:runaway:
    Did 150ish cases today and 4 turned out with this weird neck and shoulder.
    1708210214854.png

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    First question - is it all 308 brass? I know it sounds dumb but range pickup can vary.

Just spitballing but that looks more like a Weatherby shoulder on the left, even on the "correctly" sized ones. So you have lube buildup in your dies? Do your dies have a vent? Any chance you mixed up the sizer and seating die?

Not trying to offend, just throwing ideas out there.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    First question - is it all 308 brass? I know it sounds dumb but range pickup can vary.

Just spitballing but that looks more like a Weatherby shoulder on the left, even on the "correctly" sized ones. So you have lube buildup in your dies? Do your dies have a vent? Any chance you mixed up the sizer and seating die?

Not trying to offend, just throwing ideas out there.
    Checked the head stamps of the 4 and they are all .308 brass. No lube build up. It went in and out as easily as the others but just came out with this weird shoulder. Another old sage told me to check the locking ring nut as either the die or the neck sizer could be coming loose. I took out two wrenches and gave it a good squeeze just in case.

Do you have any recommendation for adjusting the the sizer/deprimer? The recommendation I received just not was "make sure it's enough to push out the primer and it should be sufficient." IDK if there's a specific measurement that's best practice.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm no loader, but the brass on the right looks pretty smashed down and left looks like it was inserted in the die crooked.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I would recommend annealing and cleaning your brass. My thinking is that reduces the chance of putting dirt/corrosion inside your dies.

The thickness of the neck varies greatly as well as the hardness. Especially between military and commercial cases. Some military brass can be quite hard.

Just finished annealing and cleaning 1,000 7.62/308 cases.

Don

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Do you have any recommendation for adjusting the the sizer/deprimer?
    1. With the die backed out, raise the ram to it's highest point

2. Start turning in the die until it makes contact with the shell holder

3. Lower the ram and turn the die in another 1/8 turn or so and tighten the lock ring.

You should get a little bit of cam over when you raise the ram against the die although some presses may not do this. From here, you can make fine adjustments to the die depending on how much shoulder bump you want and how it fits in your chamber.

If this is mixed head stamp range pickup brass, you will get varying results due to brand differences and the fact that the various pieces will have been fired in different chambers.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Update! Thanks for all the advice.

1. Looks like the culprit with the 4 pieces was some dirt causing pressure that pushed and pulled the de-primer resizer needle in and out. Put the next batch in Tupperware with some dish soap water and there was some mud shaken out. Makes sense, we do shoot on farmland and neglect to pick things up.

2. Readjusted resizer/de-primer needle and gave it another good tightening some stiff dual wrench action. Put it at the recommended "just enough to push out the primer" length. Also backed it out a bit and re-indexed the locking ring, was about 1/4 past ram instead of 1/8.

3. Gave the dies a look through, no dirt or damage to it but still cleaned it out.

Still don't know what to do about these 4 pieces, or how to adjust for different sized brass coming from different brans or fired out of different chambers. Didn't know .308 could be more complicated than 9mm or .223 :runaway:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Sometimes that happens when the neck lacks enough lube. The sizer grabs the neck and pushes it down into the shoulder instead of sliding over it and compressing the neck wall inward.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Take this anyway that you want=I really don't care....

You should NOT be handloading any ammo to shoot.

"1. Looks like the culprit with the 4 pieces was some dirt causing pressure that pushed and pulled the de-primer resizer needle in and out. Put the next batch in Tupperware with some dish soap water and there was some mud shaken out. Makes sense, we do shoot on farmland and neglect to pick things up."
    ^^^
    With this lack of due care, putting powder into cases and shooting said rounds is something that you should NOT be doing..
    I would NOT want to be at the bench next to you at the range..
    Flame away, but just stating facts.....Bill.

Top Bottom