ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    How'd you like the way that rail mounts? I installed one the other day on a buddies rig and a haven't made my mind up....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And because I'm 300BLK-dumb, what are the overall advantages over the standard 5.56? Disadvantages?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It's kind of a dual purpose caliber... you can load 225's at 1050 and have a quiet round suppressed with tons of penetration and more ME than a 9mm, or you can load it up with 125's scooting along pretty well and have basically the same ballistics as a 7.62x39 but with better bullet selction. Mine shoots pretty well with both teh heavy SMK's and also with 125gr Speer TNT's for good expansion.

I stil need to have someone else shoot mine while I stand back and listen. With the spring and action noise of an AR right next to your face, it's hard to tell how quiet it really is.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm really excited about gemtech offering a 5/8" multimount adaptor so when my Isis comes in I can compare the .30 cal can to the 9mm can...

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    And because I'm 300BLK-dumb, what are the overall advantages over the standard 5.56? Disadvantages?

From what I have gathered... You gain the advantages of a 30 caliber but retain the advantages and parts of the AR-15. You only have to change the barrel... Upper, BCG, Magazines etc all stay the same. You even keep the same magazine capacity. It utilizes standard 5.56 brass(Cut and Necked up) and standard 7.62/308 bullets, so, there isn't anything proprietary or odd to special order if you reload(except the dies). Or, you can even buy off the shelf 300BLK/300Whisper ammo now from most of the major ammunition manufacturers. The 300 AAC BLK is basically the same as the 300 Whisper except that AAC got it SAAMI approved. Something J.D. Jones wouldn't do with the 300 Whisper because that would have meant that he would have had to give up his copyright.

I know you just recently built an SBR... IMHO that's where the 300BLK shines... A 9" 300 BLK has more muzzle energy than a 16" 5.56... And it suppresses very well... What's not to like? You can goto 300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK) if you want to check it out more... I haven't found too many disadvantages when I've looked around...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know you just recently built an SBR... IMHO that's where the 300BLK shines... A 9" 300 BLK has more muzzle energy than a 16" 5.56... And it suppresses very well... What's not to like? You can goto 300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK) if you want to check it out more... I haven't found too many disadvantages when I've looked around...

Interesting!

One disadvantage I can see is current ammo availability and cost. Where do you guys find ammo? And how much are you paying per round?

Otherwise it sounds like a sweet caliber. It will be interesting to see if it really takes off.

Top Bottom