• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    For what it's worth, I have loaded my 8.25" SBR with 220gr Berry's and had, good results.
    However, I used CFE BLK and H110, not 1680.
    From 50 yds, 13.2 gr of CFE BLK gave me 1068fps and 1.25 moa, while 11.2 and 11.4 gr of H110 gave me 1051 and 1085fps respectively and also 1.25 moa.
    1680 and CFEBLK are very close in burn rates and starting below those loads and working up would be feasible.
    Just my experience.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Anybody have a starting point or a ballpark on the load for this combo?
    CFE Black is just slightly slower than AA1680. My load is 12.0gns of CFE BLK under a Berry's 220. That's pushing right at 1000 from my 7" barrels. When it's shot from a 16", it's closer to 1050fps. I don't like to go hotter since when the weather gets warmer, I don't want to worry about the velocity increases, and it cycles a standard AR bolt carrier fine in the summer and winter.

I'd start at 10.5gns and go up to about 11.3 and chrono the results. Also, magnum pistol powders like H110 (and technically CFE BLK and AA1680) don't like wiggle room in the casings. The more air, the larger your velocity deviations and the lower the accuracy. Try and seat your bullets on top of the column as much as safely possible to eliminate the speed differences, and you'll see your groups will tighten right up.

Also, see the data below from Hodgdon. That's quoting a Sierra Matchking 220, and the Berry's are a little softer, so might take a hair less powder than that. Good luck, try it out and report back. I'm curious to see your results. Hodgdon velocities aren't always accurate, and with a short barrel, you'll definitely be in the clear.

JDHOOSIER73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Greenwood
    CFE Black is just slightly slower than AA1680. My load is 12.0gns of CFE BLK under a Berry's 220. That's pushing right at 1000 from my 7" barrels. When it's shot from a 16", it's closer to 1050fps. I don't like to go hotter since when the weather gets warmer, I don't want to worry about the velocity increases, and it cycles a standard AR bolt carrier fine in the summer and winter.

I'd start at 10.5gns and go up to about 11.3 and chrono the results. Also, magnum pistol powders like H110 (and technically CFE BLK and AA1680) don't like wiggle room in the casings. The more air, the larger your velocity deviations and the lower the accuracy. Try and seat your bullets on top of the column as much as safely possible to eliminate the speed differences, and you'll see your groups will tighten right up.

Also, see the data below from Hodgdon. That's quoting a Sierra Matchking 220, and the Berry's are a little softer, so might take a hair less powder than that. Good luck, try it out and report back. I'm curious to see your results. Hodgdon velocities aren't always accurate, and with a short barrel, you'll definitely be in the clear.

Man that's comprehensive, thank you. I agree with your assessment with h110. I loaded some berrys at 2.15 and on 9.5 grains and got consistency (1030ish in 60 degree weather) and decent groups. I loaded some up long at 2.250 and 2.260 and they were all over the place. I could hear I had room in the case.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not Berry's... my 300 loads are below. 11.3" barrel. All stayed subsonic. The Lil Gun seems to do better gas wise. With the gas block wide open and the silencer on, it'll cycle good, but won't lock open on the last round sometimes. Someone told me I need a slower powder with a higher charge so my pressure peaks later. What frustrates me is that Sig factory 220 subbies run the gun great.

220gr Lapua Secnar L, CCI 400 primer, 2.25" COL.
    With Hodgon Lil Gun, 8.0-8.2gr
    With Hodgon H4198, 10.9-11.0gr

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Not Berry's... my 300 loads are below. 11.3" barrel. All stayed subsonic. The Lil Gun seems to do better gas wise. With the gas block wide open and the silencer on, it'll cycle good, but won't lock open on the last round sometimes. Someone told me I need a slower powder with a higher charge so my pressure peaks later. What frustrates me is that Sig factory 220 subbies run the gun great.

220gr Lapua Secnar L, CCI 400 primer, 2.25" COL.
    With Hodgon Lil Gun, 8.0-8.2gr
    With Hodgon H4198, 10.9-11.0gr

Lil Gun is a great powder that puts out a lot of gas, so it's much louder than other powders, all things being equal. I've also run H4198 in blackout but it was discontinued a few years ago, so I'm hoarding my last 4lbs for punchy 38-55 or 45-70.

220gn Lapua Scenars, huh? Great bullets, good choice. I was finding they're about the same price as the SMKs in larger bore sizes, so thought about trying them.

Top Bottom