Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    There will be a presentation by Mr. Alan Gura, a Litigator in both the
    DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago Legal Actions titled:

Current Second Amendment Litigation

This is a free presentation, and open to the public, although it is a presentation mostly to legal field people, lawyers and law students.
    I thought I would post it for anyone interested in attending.

Date: January 19th, (This Thursday)
    Valparaiso University School of Law
    Ulbricht Lecture Hall
    4:00 PM (Central Time)

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    There will be a presentation by Mr. Alan Gura, a Litigator in both the
    DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago Legal Actions titled:

Current Second Amendment Litigation

This is a free presentation, and open to the public, although it is a presentation mostly to legal field people, lawyers and law students.
    I thought I would post it for anyone interested in attending.

Date: January 19th, (This Thursday)
    Valparaiso University School of Law
    Ulbricht Lecture Hall
    4:00 PM (Central Time)

Damn. I have a trial starting Thursday or I would be there for sure. Thanks for posting, Mack!

Guy

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Damn. I have a trial starting Thursday or I would be there for sure. Thanks for posting, Mack!

Guy

I know... me too. ... I am ProTem for a Judge Thursday, but I think we will need an early recess for the day :): as I would like to hear this gentlemen. I still have to check tho to find out which SIDE of the argument he was on...
    wait check that... I did... he was one of the good guys! per Wikipedia

Alan Gura (born January 2, 1971)[1] is an Americanlitigator practicing in the areas of civil litigation, intellectual property, and civil rights law at Gura & Possessky, P.L.L.C.

On March 18, 2008, he represented Dick Heller in the United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller. Mr. Gura successfully argued that portions of D.C.'s Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 violate the individual right to keep and bear arms protected by the Second Amendment.[2]

Gura was lead counsel in McDonald v. Chicago, an United States Supreme Court decision released June 28, 2010 that incorporated the Second Amendment against state and local governments.[3]

On July 13, 2009 Legal Times named Mr. Gura to the list of “40 Under 40” of Washington D.C.’s rising legal stars.[4]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Uh... just a word to the wise... if you're looking for a rally-'round-the-flag type 2A event, prepare yourself for disappointment.

Don't mean to taint the well for anyone, just a word of caution.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    How convenient, I'm a Valpo law student. Who would have guessed I'd learn about this speaker here rather than through one of the 100 event emails I get every day? Or maybe it just got lost in the shuffle with the 99 I'm less interested in.

Hopefully I don't have to leave the presentation early to voir dire my fellow students in my Trial Practice class at 5!

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    How convenient, I'm a Valpo law student. Who would have guessed I'd learn about this speaker here rather than through one of the 100 event emails I get every day? Or maybe it just got lost in the shuffle with the 99 I'm less interested in.

Hopefully I don't have to leave the presentation early to voir dire my fellow students in my Trial Practice class at 5!

I only saw ONE 8 1/2 by 11 sign on the door of Peller.... That was it !!!
    I was doing "Talk to a Lawyer today" Pro Bono work in honor of MLK Day... and I would not have even seen it if I had not picked it up off the floor!!!

EJM874, if you think you are going to be there for the beginning, perhaps we can work out a means to get you the tape recorder to catch the beginning. I know I wont be there right at 4.

As to Illusions, no I dont have any... I still remember the arguments with shall we say "more progressive thinking... the government is here to help you, and the government being the driver for social change" I suspect there will be a number of those "professors" in attendance to represent the Gun Control activists... (Probably the Dean as well.)
    :popcorn:Should make it interesting nonetheless.... :popcorn:

I wonder if there is a "Campus Carry" group at Valpo? I don't think so... but either way, they are really keeping this lecture, "under the radar"...

PM me if you think we can work out the recorder pass... My office is very close to the University.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    As to Illusions, no I dont have any... I still remember the arguments with shall we say "more progressive thinking... the government is here to help you, and the government being the driver for social change" I suspect there will be a number of those "professors" in attendance to represent the Gun Control activists... (Probably the Dean as well.)
    :popcorn:Should make it interesting nonetheless.... :popcorn:

I wonder if there is a "Campus Carry" group at Valpo? I don't think so... but either way, they are really keeping this lecture, "under the radar"...

I'm certain at least one of my Con Law profs will be on hand with (not so) thinly veiled looks of disgust. Sadly, I've come to accept such life because, "anonymous grading" and all, at the end of the day that prof gives me a grade. :rolleyes:

To my knowledge no such campus carry group exists. I mean, why would we need to carry on campus? It's Valpo, it's safe. There wasn't a "honey bee" killer loose in NWI last year. No Kouts police cruiser stocked with weapons was stolen last week. No one got stabbed just off campus last semester. End rant.

PM inbound as to recording.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I'll go you one better...my wife WORKS at VUSL, and she didn't know about it. I read it here and told her about it. She's checking on it today and if there's more to report, I'll add it to this thread.
    There is at least one professor that is very pro-2nd A, though.
    HB

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    I'll go you one better...my wife WORKS at VUSL, and she didn't know about it. I read it here and told her about it. She's checking on it today and if there's more to report, I'll add it to this thread.
    There is at least one professor that is very pro-2nd A, though.
    HB

I'd like to know who that professor is! :rockwoot: I did see flyers here and there this morning confirming Thursday at 4:00pm. But still a bit irritated that I didn't get a single email about the event, nor is it on the events calendar on the website. I guess publicizing is reserved for more "mainstream" topics/viewpoints in terms of the faculty as a whole.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    The appearance is sponsored by the Federalist Society-a student organization, who would then be in charge of publicity. That may be why it doesn't appear anywhere. If all they did was schedule it with Gura and reserve the room, then that's on them. If they put in a request for inclusion on calendars and such, then there may be a problem.
    Talk to Professor David Vandercoy about the 2nd A sometime.

HB

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    The appearance is sponsored by the Federalist Society-a student organization, who would then be in charge of publicity. That may be why it doesn't appear anywhere. If all they did was schedule it with Gura and reserve the room, then that's on them. If they put in a request for inclusion on calendars and such, then there may be a problem.
    Talk to Professor David Vandercoy about the 2nd A sometime.

HB

Thanks for the update! And coincidentally, I am on break between our split class taught by none other than Prof. Vandercoy.:yesway:

Top Bottom