• ...and so much more!
  • whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    ciuw8smvsfevhqyssvl8.gif

So here's an interesting question that I don't have an answer to. Does muzzle flash and noise increase the efficiency of a handgun in the realm of psychological stops? Anecdotal evidence says one of the reasons the 125gr .357 was regarded as such a man stopper was because the fireball and concussion was so impressive it created a startle response powerful enough that it appeared the person being shot was being thrown back. The issue was they were sometimes doing it even when they were missed. I asked this question and a doc who does research for the FBI chimed in that long guns have shown this effect, and he suspects concussion, heat, and unburnt powder contacting the person makes them believe they've been shot even when they haven't, and at least temporarily they react as if they've been shot.

I haven't kept account of this, and it's something that's only recently become a subject of interest for me based on a discussion of the .357 Sig's reputation despite not being any different in gel tests and the like than other common duty calibers. Struggling to find some explanation for this, I thought maybe the muzzle blast may account for it. It remains an open question, and I don't know how you could really find out without a HUGE sample size, probably in the thousands, to try to eliminate other variables, but I just thought it was interesting.

I went through ILEA with the Federal 125gr load and during the night shoot at the indoor range, it lit up the targets like flashes with a flashlight. So much so that I could use the muzzle flash to get sight alignment on target for the final 5 rounds. I do believe that the psychological impact of that load in LEO's revolvers inflated the effectiveness of the round. I thought at one point Evan Marshall or Ed Sanow had even written or said something about the possibility of that effect.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well I certainly have some insight now. I appreciate all of the opinions on here. I still have some time to decide, but I think waiting is the best choice. Thank you all for your comments.

Just remember...after all the smoke has cleared...carry what's right for you, what you are comfortable with and will practice with. It's your gun and your money.

All internet opinions are worth what you paid for them...hey, wait...I'm a site supporter! Dammit. I guess I'm paying you for them...:laugh:

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned this: Be sure to CC and not OC. If you OC, the Bad Guy will see your gun and take you out first. Oh Yeah.....and watch out for 5 year old Girls..... and Bacon.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned this: Be sure to CC and not OC. If you OC, the Bad Guy will see your gun and take you out first. Oh Yeah.....and watch out for 5 year old Girls..... and Bacon.

If you are using a .25 and OC it you don't have to worry, even the bad guys know better than to want one these days.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well I certainly have some insight now. I appreciate all of the opinions on here. I still have some time to decide, but I think waiting is the best choice. Thank you all for your comments.

Just remember...after all the smoke has cleared...carry what's right for you, what you are comfortable with and will practice with. It's your gun and your money.

All internet opinions are worth what you paid for them...hey, wait...I'm a site supporter! Dammit. I guess I'm paying you for them...:laugh:

Thor is right. You have to go with what you can shoot and afford.

Probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye for Meet & Shoots in an area near you.
    Good chance to meet other INGOers, AND TRY OUT THEIR GUNS.
    Plus, some get to know you, they might cut slack on a gun they need to get rid of. (although some have done that, only to see the gun up for sale in the classifieds)

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    If I was ever going to carry a 22 it would be a Ruger 8 shot lcr with CCI mini mags. But then again I will never carry 22.

I used to carry my Taurus 851UL with basketball shorts and a nylon holster. It was only 16oz unloaded. Comfortable to carry. With a belt it was a breeze. But after getting a real gun belt I have fallen back to the 45 acp steel 1911. It's easy to carry and nice knowing I have 8+1 rounds of 220 grain +P Hornady Critical Duty. A spare 10 round mag in the front weak side pocket is a simple drop in.

Belt and holster are the foundation to any carry system. Cheap out and comfort is compromised so ppl tend to go to subpar caliber pocket pistols. If some cops have dumped mags into bad guys without them going down I'm not chancing the next time I have to draw on a poor caliber and hope the little bullet puts the per down.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I carry a Galesi .25. I have had a FIE Titan .25 as well. They can be purchased under $125. Both have been very reliable. I carry that gun because it is very comfortable in my pocket. And is all I need for self defense outside my home.

You mean his EDC that can be purchased for $125, but he is selling for 50% more?

Don't use INGO classified. These people don't buy squat. Unless it's a desperate sale and the price is really low. They also think their guns they are trying to sell are made out of gold.

Interesting to see that he neither follows his own advice nor believes his own claims about INGO and its members. Apparently his Galesi is gold-plated under the ceracote.

Last edited:

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    You people are something else. Unbelievable. Show me a Cerakoted Galesi for $125 anywhere. I like to sell, trade firearms. I dont keep anything very long. Just more typical INGO BS. As always, Have Nice Day!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Now Bahrney...put that bullet away bufor ya shoots yasef. :)

Just watched that whole series with the fam...

Something's worth what someone's willing to pay. Shoppers are always walking by things they don't pick up and buy. Doesn't mean someone wont.

char130802

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Bremen in
    I have had lots of .25 guns ammo is really easy to get at wallmarts in my area and for a .32 never seen ammo at Walmart I have had good luck with my .25 guns most people say thair junk I disagree

Top Bottom