• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Good grief, he’s looking for at least 120 MOA of left windage to zero! I wouldn’t be too hasty to exclude the windage receiving an adjustment with a quality aftermarket base. The factory base is a cheap piece of crap.

Granted that the KIDD and similar aftermarket bases are designed to adjust the vertical MOA, but who knows how poorly the factory base screw holes are aligned? The windage might just receive the single gross adjustment needed with a quality base.

However, if it’s the screw holes in the receiver that are out of alignment, then John has a real project on his hands.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Need to look at it a little closer but either the holes are off center or the barrel is crooked. Hopefully its the holes as I can correct that but if its the barrel, that's going to be a problem. But since this is a thread about fun, I'll actually enjoy making this thing shoot straight! Last few rifles I've bought were too easy, this one's gonna make me think! :yesway:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Put the muzzle end of the barrel in a vise and put pressure on the receiver in the directions needed to correct the problem.:laugh:

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Check the barrel action joint. If I remember right, on a 10/22 there are 2 allen bolt holds barrel to the action. Check that they are tight and there's no junk between shoulder and action.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I had some time to play around with my Tippmann .22LR rifle yesterday and do some accuracy testing using the replacement barrel.
    (original barrel is a long story, but short version is there was nothing wrong with it)

50 yards from a bench rest using bags front and rear. Scope is a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32.
    Ammo used was CCI SV and Aguila SV.
    Tested both ammo types with and without a Sig SRD22X suppressor.

7 out of 72 groups (5-shots) produced 1 moa or better results.

Best groups:
    0.353" CCI
    0.354" Aguila - suppressed
    0.407" CCI
    0.481" CCI
    0.490" CCI - suppressed
    0.499" Aguila - suppressed
    0.501" CCI - suppressed

Average of groups:
    0.741" CCI (original barrel shot this round an average of 0.743", how's that for consistency)
    0.870" CCI - suppressed
    1.061" Aguila
    0.892" Aguila - suppressed

And to put things into comparison to .22's I've tested in the past:
    - Ruger Precision Rimfire w/Green Mountain barrel averaged 0.702" w/CCI and 0.823" w/CCI suppressed.
    - S&W MP15-22 averaged 1.173" w/CCI

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Decided today to see how the 10/22 I picked up a couple of weeks ago shot. Threw the factory rail and a scope on it and went out back. Scope was close to mechanical zero but it shot about 2 feet right and a foot low at 20 yards. Ran out of adjustment well before getting zeroed, vertical was close to maxed out and horizontal still lacked a good 4". :xmad: Looks like somebody's going to do some shimming in the near future.

Just move the target 24 inches to the right and down a foot. Duh.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Check the barrel action joint. If I remember right, on a 10/22 there are 2 allen bolt holds barrel to the action. Check that they are tight and there's no junk between shoulder and action.

Good idea. I didn't take the barrel out of the receiver during my initial cleaning.

Just move the target 24 inches to the right and down a foot. Duh.

That just might work! :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had some time to play around with my Tippmann .22LR rifle yesterday and do some accuracy testing using the replacement barrel.
    (original barrel is a long story, but short version is there was nothing wrong with it)

50 yards from a bench rest using bags front and rear. Scope is a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32.
    Ammo used was CCI SV and Aguila SV.
    Tested both ammo types with and without a Sig SRD22X suppressor.

7 out of 72 groups (5-shots) produced 1 moa or better results.

Best groups:
    0.353" CCI
    0.354" Aguila - suppressed
    0.407" CCI
    0.481" CCI
    0.490" CCI - suppressed
    0.499" Aguila - suppressed
    0.501" CCI - suppressed

Average of groups:
    0.741" CCI (original barrel shot this round an average of 0.743", how's that for consistency)
    0.870" CCI - suppressed
    1.061" Aguila
    0.892" Aguila - suppressed

And to put things into comparison to .22's I've tested in the past:
    - Ruger Precision Rimfire w/Green Mountain barrel averaged 0.702" w/CCI and 0.823" w/CCI suppressed.
    - S&W MP15-22 averaged 1.173" w/CCI

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for posting these groups: totally inspiring. :thumbsup:
    I have both the digital & non-digital calipers, but haven't bothered to start recording mine yet since I'm still scattering shots all over the place. :facepalm:
    Once I figure out which brand of ammo that goes with which rifle, maybe then. :dunno:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Did a little more shooting with the CZ 457. It seemed to like Lapua Center X today.

From left to right I was adjusting the sights. Had a 0.10" group going on the left target until the fifth shot went high. I'm starting to get used to this rifle.

iMOYbfa.jpg

Moved out to ~80 yards and used a 2.5 MOA holdover to pop a 1/2" diameter steel hanger several times and called it good for the day.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Did a little more shooting with the CZ 457. It seemed to like Lapua Center X today.

From left to right I was adjusting the sights. Had a 0.10" group going on the left target until the fifth shot went high. I'm starting to get used to this rifle.

iMOYbfa.jpg

Moved out to ~80 yards and used a 2.5 MOA holdover to pop a 1/2" diameter steel hanger several times and called it good for the day.
    Yeah. That's putting them where they need to be! Nice shooting.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    10/22 update. This is a cheap can shooter so I'm not spending any more than I have to on it. So, I dremmeled out the screw holes a bit to get more windage and shoved about 10 thicknesses of drink can under the rear of the rail. Recentered the scope and according to the laser bore sight thing I picked up, it should hit the paper now. Hopefully.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone tried their new purchase Eley Action SV ammo? I shot about 400 rounds in 3 sessions and have decided that my Ruger RPR doesn't shoot it well.
    I considered that it could be me or the windy conditions but after 3 sessions I just couldn't get it dialed in. I shoot 5 rounds at each target, 50 yds. I was getting an inch spread and occasionally get 2-3 to touch.
    I switched back to the Eley Action Plus HV ammo and all is well again.
    Its odd that the gun reacts so differently with the two rounds that are pretty closely related.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone tried their new purchase Eley Action SV ammo?
    I shot about 400 rounds in 3 sessions and have decided that my Ruger RPR doesn't shoot it well.
    I considered that it could be me or the windy conditions but after 3 sessions I just couldn't get it dialed in.
    I shoot 5 rounds at each target, 50 yds. I was getting an inch spread and occasionally get 2-3 to touch.
    I switched back to the Eley Action Plus HV ammo and all is well again.
    Its odd that the gun reacts so differently with the two rounds that are pretty closely related.

Thanks! Good for me to know so my expectations won't be unrealistic. :thumbsup:
    I haven't used any "good" ammo yet & only the basic decent brands: CCI SV & Mini-Mags, Armscor, Super Aguila Super Extra & a few others.

I guy at the range did give me 5 rounds of "better" ammo to put through one of my rifles a couple of weeks ago & it did tighten up the groups a bit.

Top Bottom