• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Did some more group work this morning also. All 5 shot groups at 75 yards. I shot a group of Aguila first to check zero, then started with the Magazine, then a dry patch; repeating the process for the other ammo types. Today I had the side focus set on 75 rather than 50 like I did over the weekend. lol
    CCI SV 5/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" Actually better than usual.
    Eley Action 13/16", 13/16", 11/16", 5/16", 5/16" Definitely likes a seasoned barrel.
    SK Standard+ 7/16", 7/16", 5/8" Last group had a flyer that I'm not sure if it was operator error or ammo induced, so it counts.
    SK Magazine 7/16", 1", 1 3/16" Again had feeding issues with last round, diagonal stringing got real bad. No need to test it any more in the Tikka. First ammo I shot, actually thought something had come loose it was so bad.
    Aguila SE HV 5x groups into same target made a nice 5/8" hole with a single flyer opening it up to13/16". Man I love that ammo!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I probably could have done better but had allergies getting the best of me. I gave up when the eyes got blurry with it. Came inside for eye drops.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I didn't want to mess with shooting my BXR until I could get a proper cheek weld with it, so I made a riser out of some black/gray layered G-10 I had lying around.

cheeky1-M.jpg

cheeky2-M.jpg

cheeky3-M.jpg

cheeky4-M.jpg

cheeky5-M.jpg

Now I can finally go shoot it when I have time.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Thanks. I'm lucky I got the height right on the first try. Too high wouldn't have been so bad, but too low would have caused an issue or two.

More importantly, it needs to get out and be shot. I'm curious how it does for a 10-22 clone.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks. I'm lucky I got the height right on the first try. Too high wouldn't have been so bad, but too low would have caused an issue or two.

More importantly, it needs to get out and be shot. I'm curious how it does for a 10-22 clone.

So are we. Waiting on range report with pictures :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Determined my '70 Fingergroove 1022 needs more work.
    Now freefloated, it shot low.
    Initial group got me excited but things went to hell after that.
    Did exhibit first shot flier now and then. So a bolt rework needed. If doing the FP might as well get headspace done too.
    And then there's the bbl........CPC rework? Or go with sporter match GM? (which isn't in stock at Rimfire Sports).
    200 bucks and my cool beater would be a tack driver.

My CZ 455 doesn't look or feel as good, but it's synth (so I don't have to worry about dinging it hunting) and it shoots OK.

Pains me, as I really like fingergrooves..........but am content to leave it as a "regular" 10/22 and make it trading stock.
    Whole some folks like to tinker and experiment, I'm only good for a certain amount.
    And once I hit that, am done.

I hunt. Target shooting bores me. I just want a combo that works and hit the sticks.
    My CZ will work fine.

So dump the 10/22 and get a Browning Buckmark I'm thinkin' :)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Determined my '70 Fingergroove 1022 needs more work.
    Now freefloated, it shot low.
    Initial group got me excited but things went to hell after that.
    Did exhibit first shot flier now and then. So a bolt rework needed. If doing the FP might as well get headspace done too.
    And then there's the bbl........CPC rework? Or go with sporter match GM? (which isn't in stock at Rimfire Sports).
    200 bucks and my cool beater would be a tack driver.

My CZ 455 doesn't look or feel as good, but it's synth (so I don't have to worry about dinging it hunting) and it shoots OK.

Pains me, as I really like fingergrooves..........but am content to leave it as a "regular" 10/22 and make it trading stock.
    Whole some folks like to tinker and experiment, I'm only good for a certain amount.
    And once I hit that, am done.

I hunt. Target shooting bores me. I just want a combo that works and hit the sticks.
    My CZ will work fine.

So dump the 10/22 and get a Browning Buckmark I'm thinkin' :)

Have you done any trigger work to the 10/22? I replaced the whole group in mine and cut group size by easily 1/3. About 5 minutes once you get it out of the stock.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The hammer has been stoned to light pull. The creep is tolerable.
    It should shoot better.

I have, with other 10/22s w just hammer upgrades.
    Unfortunately, this one also needs bolt and or barrel work

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Have you done any trigger work to the 10/22? I replaced the whole group in mine and cut group size by easily 1/3. About 5 minutes once you get it out of the stock.

I had my gunsmith work mine over. It went from what felt like 12lb to a little under 5lb. Which is good enough for my varmint night hunts.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    BTW, my new coyote AR certainly needs trigger work.
    Stock it makes an off the shelf 10/22 trigger feel good LOL

Ouch. Actually I prefer a little heavier trigger on my coyote AR. Makes a AD a little less likely when my fingers are numb.

I had my gunsmith work mine over. It went from what felt like 12lb to a little under 5lb. Which is good enough for my varmint night hunts.

On mine getting the pull down and removing any roughness made a huge difference. Cut group size just about in half.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ouch. Actually I prefer a little heavier trigger on my coyote AR. Makes a AD a little less likely when my fingers are numb.

On mine getting the pull down and removing any roughness made a huge difference. Cut group size just about in half.

They are absolutely :poop: from the factory. My rifle is 27 yo has Ruger improved the factory triggers on 10/22's in the last few years or the same heavy trigger pull?

rambokid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    United States
    22LR is my favorite round and the 10/22 is my favorite rifle.

Here's mine...

1022.jpg

So much you can do. This has Rimfire Technologies insides with a Houge stock, Nikon rimfire scope and a Harris bipod. It shoots better than I do so never got around to changing the barrel. I also have one with Kidd insides that shoots well.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    They are absolutely :poop: from the factory. My rifle is 27 yo has Ruger improved the factory triggers on 10/22's in the last few years or the same heavy trigger pull?

Quite honestly I think they've gotten worse. The old ones IIRC were heavy and a bit of slop but were at least fairly smooth. The one I picked up a couple years ago and a couple other newish ones I've handled were not only heavy but gritty, rough, and just generally terrible. Probably why the first thing a lot of people do when buying one is replace the whole trigger group. I know Ruger can make a decent if not good trigger, the American series has a pretty good one out of the box and its far from a high dollar rifle.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I finally found an affordable replacement for my old 455 lux I sold when I moved back to Chicago -- 455 Trainer this time (and to be honest, I'd prefer a shorter barrel but I got a good price on a NIB Trainer.) Gunna actually mess around with the tangent sights this time rather than throwing on a peep right away. I really, really liked the peeps I had before so I'll probably end up with some again, but figure I should shoot it as it is a bit first. Guessing it'll show up mid next week.

Any good advice on initial cleaning procedure before first range trip?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Quite honestly I think they've gotten worse. The old ones IIRC were heavy and a bit of slop but were at least fairly smooth. The one I picked up a couple years ago and a couple other newish ones I've handled were not only heavy but gritty, rough, and just generally terrible. Probably why the first thing a lot of people do when buying one is replace the whole trigger group. I know Ruger can make a decent if not good trigger, the American series has a pretty good one out of the box and its far from a high dollar rifle.

Very shocking they haven't stepped up on the 10/22 triggers yet. My gunsmith charged me iirc $25 and it was exactly what I wanted. Not to light for hunting purposes. My buddy got an adjustable trigger for his. He had it around 2lb that thing went off just breathing on it so to speak. On a bench that's awesome hunting at night in the woods no thanks. He adjusted it back out after that one night out lol.

Top Bottom