• ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Thought I’d come to range and try to decide if I need both the 322 and the tx22 competition with the standard Doddg test and formulas

Not sure how you pick between these two. All practice targets looked the same. This was the final showdown

As usual, range to myself and someone even left spinner targets at 25 yards thst are boringly easy to hit with this two

71061260039__C6705D6A-9A7C-4CE0-8A61-4E2F8348A5E5.jpeg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    You certainly should! :thumbsup:
    "Head to head" shooting between a couple of guns is my favorite thing to do. :rockwoot:
    Sometimes it's to eliminate the "weaker" gun so I can have $$ to move on to something different
    &
    sometimes it is just for the sheer joy of it. :ar15:
    Well I was running out of time today but still was able to shoot the Ruger Charger with KIDD barrel vs my TC Contender with TC factory 22 match barrel. Used CCI Std. Vel. , both shot from rest at 25 yards for 10 shots. The group size was close enough that I would almost call it even but with calipers the Charger was about .026" smaller.

Charger also has a KIDD single action trigger group at about 1.75 lb with NO creep. Charger has a 2-7X Burris and TC a 5X Burris. Set the variable to 5X to make things more even. The real test will be 50 yards , maybe next time! But I agree it was fun pitting these two guns against each other!
    11 charger vs TC.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went back to the range this afternoon to shoot at the official 1.75 inch circles. Same results. The 322 is a shooter regardless of what Gary says! LOL. 10 yds wirh Romeo zero elite red dot
    View attachment 286140
    True, I think is "OK" & I don't prefer it & a multitude of other plastic/polymer guns. :dunno:
    Granted, it can shoot, especially with your young eyes/hands, haha! :thumbsup:
    I too, got good scores with & w/o a red dot & even better with the red dot shooting this gun back in 2022 when you previously owned this 322. :)

But, the safe is maxed out & other guns are calling out to me. :laugh6:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Ok, time for a thread Jack. I need some trigger advice for a 22lr rifle.

I used the INGO lower to build a 22lr rifle with a PSA lower kit, and a BCA side charging upper. The rifle appears accurate enough, but I Believe the limiting factor; besides the shooter is the trigger.

I did a little polishing on the PSA trigger, but don't have adequate stones to work the hammer. If money was no object I would probably put a KE Arms Rekluse2 in it, but I already have more in it than I planned.

Other than buying a set of stones, I've been considering a La Rue MBT2. Would an MBT2 provide a substantial improvement? It would be less than half what a Rekluse2 would cost.

To be reliable, I know the upper requires a full power hammer strike. Anything less and reliability of ignition is compromised.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-07-09 13_54_09.963263.jpg
    25yds, standing supported and slung up. The group around the 8 is more typical. It's the grittiness and length of pull to the break which is just killing me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well I was running out of time today but still was able to shoot the Ruger Charger with KIDD barrel vs my TC Contender with TC factory 22 match barrel. Used CCI Std. Vel. , both shot from rest at 25 yards for 10 shots. The group size was close enough that I would almost call it even but with calipers the Charger was about .026" smaller.

Charger also has a KIDD single action trigger group at about 1.75 lb with NO creep. Charger has a 2-7X Burris and TC a 5X Burris. Set the variable to 5X to make things more even. The real test will be 50 yards , maybe next time! But I agree it was fun pitting these two guns against each other!
    View attachment 286100
    I cannot believe those are for 25 yds! :wow:
    I would not even be able to see those 2-3" squares at that distance, but I see you did use scopes.
    Cloverleafs at 25 yds I can only dream of! :dunno:

I've always been curious about the TC Contender with TC factory 22 match barrel.
    Never really seen one for sale w/o other barrels in the package driving up the price.

Curious, are both of these barrels 10"?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I cannot believe those are for 25 yds! :wow:
    I would not even be able to see those 2-3" squares at that distance, but I see you did use scopes.
    Cloverleafs at 25 yds I can only dream of! :dunno:

I've always been curious about the TC Contender with TC factory 22 match barrel.
    Never really seen one for sale w/o other barrels in the package driving up the price.

Curious, are both of these barrels 10"?
    Yes both are 10" barrels. The KIDD is stainless and the TC blued. I'll try to post a picture of the two sometime. Actually shooting from a solid rest with a scope and a good trigger you could probably shoot far better than you think.

The Contender's trigger was worked on by a silhouette shooter and is the lightest of all my handguns and is ideal for benchrest type shooting. For a while my best ever 50 yard 22lr target was with the 10" TC until I started shooting CZ and match barrel 10/22 rifles. TC's match barrel is actually kind of a press fit chamber where there is no slop once the action is closed.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes both are 10" barrels. The KIDD is stainless and the TC blued. I'll try to post a picture of the two sometime. Actually shooting from a solid rest with a scope and a good trigger you could probably shoot far better than you think.

The Contender's trigger was worked on by a silhouette shooter and is the lightest of all my handguns and is ideal for benchrest type shooting. For a while my best ever 50 yard 22lr target was with the 10" TC until I started shooting CZ and match barrel 10/22 rifles. TC's match barrel is actually kind of a press fit chamber where there is no slop once the action is closed.
    A good trigger has been the weakness in nearly every gun I've had, so I get it!
    Sounds like you've got a bevy of good tools! :thumbsup:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Ok, time for a thread Jack. I need some trigger advice for a 22lr rifle.

I used the INGO lower to build a 22lr rifle with a PSA lower kit, and a BCA side charging upper. The rifle appears accurate enough, but I Believe the limiting factor; besides the shooter is the trigger.

I did a little polishing on the PSA trigger, but don't have adequate stones to work the hammer. If money was no object I would probably put a KE Arms Rekluse2 in it, but I already have more in it than I planned.

Other than buying a set of stones, I've been considering a La Rue MBT2. Would an MBT2 provide a substantial improvement? It would be less than half what a Rekluse2 would cost.

To be reliable, I know the upper requires a full power hammer strike. Anything less and reliability of ignition is compromised.

View attachment 286160
    25yds, standing supported and slung up. The group around the 8 is more typical. It's the grittiness and length of pull to the break which is just killing me.
    In my opinion, the La Rue will be much better than polishing/stoning the PSA trigger. There are better triggers, but for the price, you really can't go wrong with the La Rue.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with 2 guns bought recently:
    - Ruger Charger with 220 rds today
    - High-Standard The Victor Military (early/mid 1970s) with 90 rds today
    Note: Federal Gold Match SV it does NOT like, but loved the Aguila Super Extra SV.

Used Remington Golden Bullets HP, 36 grain, I have a bunch I bought when they were $40-$50 a bucket.
    In the Torso I was adjusting Romeo Red Dot for this ammo at 30'.
    The center X in the torso was result of all the adjustments.
    I was very pleased with the 45' groups.
    Groups will tighten up using a better ammo: we'll see in future.
    Range 7.12.2023 2nd range visit Silhouette adj for Rem GB HP ammo.jpg

I was pleased the Remington Golden Bullets worked as well as they did.
    I didn't get any cloverleafs like I did with the CCI SV, but I can live with that.
    Worked admirably=100% at 30' AND 45'. I was pleased!
    Range 7.12.2023 2nd range visit 1.75in Cir. 30 & 45ft Rem GB HP ammo.jpg

Found some SV by Aguila in the gun room to use with the H.S. Victor.
    Worked very well.
    Range 7.12.2023 PIC of HS Victor Military.jpg

Row 1 & 2 didn't continue to get 100% with Aguila SV like I expected.
    Row 3 & 4 using Federal Gold Match did NOT do well a couple of weeks ago & continued in that vein today.
    Issues:
    - FTFire even when sent through again (ammo been sitting in a basement).
    - Chamber not fully close
    - FTEject: I could hardly shoot 2 rounds in a row w/o issues.
    After using the Fed. Gold Match, I put 5 rds through using the Aguila SV with no issue:
    it's the Fed Gold Match ammo!
    Range 7.12.2023 2 brands ammo Aguila SV good but Fed Gold Match BAD.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Put a scope on that Charger and that should tighten groups up a bit. Mine has a Burris 2-7X PA , used to be on my 10" Contender and even had it briefly on a 6" 357 revolver for accuracy testing.
    11 charger003 2.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Put a scope on that Charger and that should tighten groups up a bit. Mine has a Burris 2-7X PA , used to be on my 10" Contender and even had it briefly on a 6" 357 revolver for accuracy testing.
    View attachment 286723
    :wow: Gorgeous! Stainless barrel is great!
    Love the ones that the grip & stock are all one piece. :thumbsup:
    I had one kinda like that mostly green with a little brown in it, but grip was not wood (pic below).
    I sold one end of April for a friend like yours though! (pic below).
    I so have a handgun scope I could put on it to try out (pic below).

pic right side.JPG
    pic in box.png

I had this scope on it originally to try out, but it's an old Nikon.
    You have to hold your eye just right & bring your head up a little to view entire circle, instead of just the center of the circle, haha! :dunno:
    view left side only back.jpg

1689198672227.png

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Range time with 2 guns bought recently:
    - Ruger Charger with 220 rds today
    - High-Standard The Victor Military (early/mid 1970s) with 90 rds today
    Note: Federal Gold Match SV it does NOT like, but loved the Aguila Super Extra SV.

Used Remington Golden Bullets HP, 36 grain, I have a bunch I bought when they were $40-$50 a bucket.
    In the Torso I was adjusting Romeo Red Dot for this ammo at 30'.
    The center X in the torso was result of all the adjustments.
    I was very pleased with the 45' groups.
    Groups will tighten up using a better ammo: we'll see in future.
    View attachment 286686

I was pleased the Remington Golden Bullets worked as well as they did.
    I didn't get any cloverleafs like I did with the CCI SV, but I can live with that.
    Worked admirably=100% at 30' AND 45'. I was pleased!
    View attachment 286687

Found some SV by Aguila in the gun room to use with the H.S. Victor.
    Worked very well.
    View attachment 286688

Row 1 & 2 didn't continue to get 100% with Aguila SV like I expected.
    Row 3 & 4 using Federal Gold Match did NOT do well a couple of weeks ago & continued in that vein today.
    Issues:
    - FTFire even when sent through again (ammo been sitting in a basement).
    - Chamber not fully close
    - FTEject: I could hardly shoot 2 rounds in a row w/o issues.
    After using the Fed. Gold Match, I put 5 rds through using the Aguila SV with no issue:
    it's the Fed Gold Match ammo!
    View attachment 286689
    Are there not graphs and pie charts available?

looks like someone had a bit of fun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another range day with the same 2 guns:
    - High Standard Victor Military (from 1970s)
    - Ruger Charger breakdown

Used Silhouette targets today that have 6 small circles at the bottom.

Discovered Browning PRO22 40 grain SV LSN ammo does not eject like the Federal Gold Match I tried to use 2 days ago.
    But, the Aguila Super Extra HP did great with only 2/100 failing to eject.
    21' at the bottom 6 circles with 7/8" (.875") red bullseyes.
    30" at the head with a 7/8" bullseye.
    45" in the torso with 1 5/8" (1.625") bullseye.
    Had to spend time tuning the windage & elevation again.
    Barely could see the red bullseye on head & especially on torso, which is my excuse-making for the spread especially at 45'.
    Range 7.14.2023 Silhouette plus 6 small circles Aguila SE SV.jpg

Pleased with the Ruger Charger, again.
    Used plain old Remington Golden Bullets HP, again.
    45' on the head difficult to see 7/8" (.875") bullseye.
    75' on torso impossible to see 1 5/8" (1.625") bullseye (had to use the Force w/in me, haha!).
    Next range time with the Charger I'll have to try 45' on my 1.75" circles.
    Range 7.14.2023 Silhouette plus w6 small circles Rem. G. B. HP.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got out 2 of my 3 Browning Buckmarks today.
    I have trimmed down from 4 Buckmarks to 3 & wanting to trim down to 2 Buckmarks, but having a hard time deciding which to let go of, since I enjoy both being so different in their feel.

Both presently have Romeo red dots on them.
    The Buckmark Pro Target is a little heavier, which I like, & has had 3 upgrades from previous owner & the one I'll probably keep.
    The Buckmark Plus Vision Black/Gold I got for a great price & just had to buy it at the time. :)
    Today, using these 2 brands of ammo, the Buckmark Pro Target was the winner, but with other ammo, the Buckmark Plus Vision Black/Gold comes out ahead, which makes it fun having them to compete with each other, haha!

I mislabeled this page. :dunno:
    At the top it says the Pro Target is on Row 1 & 2, which is CORRECT,
    but, later down the page between Row 3 & 4, I wrote Pro Target, which is INCORRECT. :ugh:
    Used Norma TAC-22 on this page.
    1.75" circles at 30'.
    Row 1 & 2 did better with the Pro Target with 7/8 circles getting 5/5 (or 95% avg).
    Buckmark Plus Vision B/G with only 1/8 circles getting 5/5 (or 75% avg).
    Range 7.19.2023 Using Norma Tac-22.jpg

This page I used the common Remington Golden Bullets HP.
    The Buckmark Plus Vision B/G improved with the Golden Bullets.
    Buckmark Pro Target 6/8 circles getting 5/5 (95% avg).
    Buckmark Plus Vision 4/8 circles getting 5/5 (83% avg).
    Range 7.19.2023 Using Remington Golden Bullets.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Excited to pick up a bucket-list TC Contender 10", single shot .22LR G1 from the Classifieds last Friday.
    Gratitude to Zackcz for once again giving me a heads up on a gun he knew I wanted! :thumbsup:
    Serial number indicates July - December 1983 manufacture.

I wasn't actively looking for a Contender .22LR anymore since I've never seen one selling with only the .22LR barrel. :dunno:
    Besides, I've bought a few other guns lately, all the while I'm supposed to be downsizing, haha! :spend:
    To resupply the gun fund, I've got a couple guns to sell when I get back from my 50th anniversary trip beginning of August.

Gun came with that great profile I look for when buying a used gun, beginning with buying from a long time member.
    Never bought a TC Contender previously b/c they usually come with multiple barrels driving up the price and I would never use other barrels anyway.
    I only wanted the .22LR barrel.

I found 14" & even 21" barrels for this Contender.
    I could be tempted to get a longer barrel if I could be assured it would be worth the expense.
    Today, this proved to be the most accurate handgun I now have. :wow:

It came with only a 1.5 scope on it, but the previous owner said he could do cloverleafs at 75', not that my eyes will be able to duplicate that! :lmfao:

5 rds each circle.
    50 rounds shot total today, with 30 rds on this target.
    Range 1st day 07.24.2023 75, 45 & 30ft.jpg pic full left side wTarget.jpg pic full right side wTarget.jpg pic left side engraving.jpg

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    In my opinion, the La Rue will be much better than polishing/stoning the PSA trigger. There are better triggers, but for the price, you really can't go wrong with the La Rue.
    Purchased and installed the La Rue MBT2S. Wow! What an improvement!

Installed an Ambi mag release and safety as well from Arms Unlimited, while I was installing the trigger and hammer. Makes the manual of arms much closer to my other ARs.

Top Bottom