• zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    2nd time with Hi-Standard Victory Military
    200 rds today with Aguila Super Extra standard velocity, 40 grain, SLN.

Field Stripped & cleaned & lubed yesterday.
    "Plunger" is supposed to be hard to engage, but I followed directions on tapping it with a small plastic/rubber hammer & using the corner of a desk to disengage the barrel.
    I am puzzled on how to retrieve what I'd call the guide rod & spring & HS calls another name.
    Can't find any vids on it.
    Later, I'll start a thread asking for help from the High Standard owners!

View attachment 282469

Changed distance on 45' target so I had to adjust for 30' & then back to 21' on this one.
    View attachment 282470

45' just for fun.
    POA on upper left was center.
    POA on upper right was bottom of 5.75" circle.
    POA on middle circle was using Kentucky windage, haha!
    POA on bottom was after adjusting sights, but didn't get low or right enough.
    View attachment 282471

Finally, the coveted Cloverleaf achieved: a rarity for me, haha!
    View attachment 282472

View attachment 282473 View attachment 282474 View attachment 282475 View attachment 282476 View attachment 282477
    It appears it almost shoots as nice as your keltec 22 LR

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Some nice targets , congrats on the cloverleaf! Back in the late 1980s to mid 1990s when I shot in the Muncie Pistol League a lot of the older shooters were big fans of High Standard.

I owned a HS Sharpshooter for a short time , great trigger and shot pretty well for me but for some reason the mag would drop just enough to cause the next round not to feed , usually happened in a timed or rapid fire stage.

Sharpshooter had the rear sight on the slide instead of in a fixed position like yours. I think the Sharpshooter was more of their entry level pistol. Guy in the club really wanted it and I ended up selling it to him. The time I ended up winning the 22 pistol league I used a MKII Ruger.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    A "bucket list" day. :wow:
    I always wanted one of these! :coffee:
    Bought a Hi-Standard Target pistol today, built like a tank from decades ago. :rockwoot:
    I don't know exact manufacture date yet.
    Seller said he was a collector who had never shot it & bought it 10 yrs ago from another collector he knew & said it was over 50 yrs. old (mid 1970s ???).
    I had read where these were a sweet shooting classic .22LR range gun in their day! :shoot:

But, I've learned the hard way, not to buy a gun that has sat in the safe & not been to the range for years or decades.
    I was reticent to buy a gun w/o knowing its "profile."
    The seller was so gracious & volunteered to meet me at the range to inspect & function check the gun.
    Only on INGO!!! Very appreciated! :thumbsup:.
    Truly one of the most stellar members I've met & that is saying alot. :ingo:

I've researched these Hi-Standards & this model is supposed to be at the front of the line with alot of competing models.
    I am grateful to have it & look forward to it competing with my other prize .22LR that can do 100% on my 1.75" circles.
    I have a red dot the others, but I can't put one on this Victor w/o spending more money than is equitable.
    It will have to be my non-optic best gun.
    If I get into a "grove," I could take the red dots off the others to be a fair fight.
    I shot another member's Hi-Standard 107 Military model months ago engaging my radar.

I used only CCI SV b/c not to use HV with these (like the SW 41).
    But, not 1 cloverleaf today, which is what I was hoping for from this gun.
    Maybe Zackcz is right: it's me. :lmfao:

Out of 190 rds, I did have:
    -4 FTEject
    -3 Not fully chamber
    This is a .0368 failure rate, which is "normal," but I want perfection from a machine, but that doesn't seem possible when dealing with a .22LR & using bulk ammo, even decent ammo like CCI SV.
    But, I was told through a factory rep that 2/10 will be flyers statistically.

Gun was not cleaned after it's last range visit unknown years ago, so I used Ballistol & some Lucas Gun Oil on it & ran a snake through to freshen in up.

These were the 1st 30 rds on 3.75" circles to see if the rear sights were close.
    Not impressed yet since I have many guns that group this well.
    Circle 2 began to get my attention.
    View attachment 281864

I was adjusting the rear sights on this page.
    Did as well as my top 4 guns.
    All 21' on 1.75" circles while adjusting the rear sights (just a little low & right for my eyes).
    I was looking for cloverleafs, but maybe my eyes aren't capable.
    View attachment 281915

2nd page at 21' with the last row at 30', just for fun.
    Gun shows potential, but perhaps when I paint the front sight I'll improve.
    Maybe I'd have to use some better ammo I've been hoarding for a special gun or rifle that is worthy, haha! :dunno:
    View attachment 281916
    View attachment 282073 View attachment 282074
    Not only did you get one. You got a very nice one at that.

ldmroe06

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2023
    Zionsville
    I am so happy you are enjoying your new bucket list item.
    Cool cloverleaf!!!
    It just needed the right owner......
    Stay in touch

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been watching vids all evening trying to find a short cut to cleaning the recoil spring & recoil spring plunger which is "buried" in the receiver on H.S. The Victor Military.
    On any pistol I've had those are called the guide rod & spring & they practically fall out of the slide.
    Not so with many of the H.S. models.

Apparently, to remove the spring & plunger turns into a project involving:
    - punch (for pushing a locking pin & tapered punch for collapsing the spring)
    - roll pin (taking out & putting back in)
    - spring "pinned" into receiver
    - plug
    - plastic hammer

Anyone have experience with this?

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I've been watching vids all evening trying to find a short cut to cleaning the recoil spring & recoil spring plunger which is "buried" in the receiver on H.S. The Victor Military.
    On any pistol I've had those are called the guide rod & spring & they practically fall out of the slide.
    Not so with many of the H.S. models.

Apparently, to remove the spring & plunger turns into a project involving:
    - punch (for pushing a locking pin & tapered punch for collapsing the spring)
    - roll pin (taking out & putting back in)
    - spring "pinned" into receiver
    - plug
    - plastic hammer

Anyone have experience with this?
    I say shoot it until it fails and then dig into it. Something as old as that the less it comes apart and back together the better

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I say shoot it until it fails and then dig into it. Something as old as that the less it comes apart and back together the better
    I'm sure I can prolong it gumming up by using Ballistol.
    The spring was clean when I broke it down.
    I sprayed it with Ballistol & afterwards put a couple of drops of Lucas gun oil on the spring since I could not remove it.

Apparently, taking the receiver apart to clean the firing pin, extractor, spring & plunger are the way it was set up.
    I'll keep using the Ballistol on it & wiping it down to delay it getting gummed up.

I'd love to hear from someone who has had experience with the H.S models that "bury" or "lock down" the spring & plunger to know whether they don't need to be removed from the receiver for normal maintenance.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Also, the sear bar pin may fuse to trigger (corrode).
    Seen it, and heard of at least one other.
    Brownells used to carry replacement sear bars.
    Looks like they don't nowadays.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had a Trophy and a Sharpshooter.
    Prefer non bridged rear sight.
    My Sharpshooter was excellent......but not when I got it.
    Ran fine, slow or as fast as I could rip em..........once I tuned the magazines.

FYI

Another FYI......

LSP makes/made? barrels and scope mounts for HS pistols.
    I read about the possible magazine issues.
    My 2 mags seem fine, original not aftermarket, so missed that bullet (pun intended).
    I had not read about the sear fusing to hammer: thanks for the heads up!

Did you ever need to disassemble the receiver to thoroughly clean the firing pin, extractor & spring/plunger which all have their own pins to be removed in the receiver?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I sprayed it with Ballistol & afterwards put a couple of drops of Lucas gun oil on the spring since I could not remove it.

Apparently, taking the receiver apart to clean the firing pin, extractor, spring & plunger are the way it was set up.
    I'll keep using the Ballistol on it & wiping it down to delay it getting gummed up.

I'd love to hear from someone who has had experience with the H.S models that "bury" or "lock down" the spring & plunger to know whether they don't need to be removed from the receiver for normal maintenance.
    I don't know how you guys can use Ballistol. I have a decent tolerance for noxious fumes but when I tried it, it literally took my breath away. There is no way I could use it indoors. After one use on a firearm, I put the can in my storage shed.

I'll use it to "winterize" my shovels and such for winter.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I equate guns like yours and Ruger M1's -M3's PITA to clean.
    When they get filthy I pull the mag out, take thr grips off and in the Safety Clean machine it goes for a 30 minute flush and clean. Then a compressor blow clean and dry, re-oil and back in storage it goes.
    If im in a hurry they get blasted out with aerosol brake, carb cleaner.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't know how you guys can use Ballistol. I have a decent tolerance for noxious fumes but when I tried it, it literally took my breath away. There is no way I could use it indoors. After one use on a firearm, I put the can in my storage shed.

I'll use it to "winterize" my shovels and such for winter.
    LOL, On Point Sir.
    I dont like the way it flows, it doesn't flow and its like lite gear oil.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I watched that & a couple of others 3-4 times last night.
    That's what taught me there was no shortcut, but that indeed, it has to have the pins taken out to get to everything in the receiver really clean.
    Someone who is using their High Standard regularly, I hope to get their input if they have to take the parts off the receiver every 1000 rds or 5000 rds & etc.
    I'll probably have to get Zackcz to do it for me.
    He won't take any money, but accepts ammo donations. :laugh:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I watched that & a couple of others 3-4 times last night.
    That's what taught me there was no shortcut, but that indeed, it has to have the pins taken out to get to everything in the receiver really clean.
    Someone who is using their High Standard regularly, I hope to get their input if they have to take the parts off the receiver every 1000 rds or 5000 rds & etc.
    I'll probably have to get Zackcz to do it for me.
    He won't take any money, but accepts ammo donations. :laugh:
    I heard he also accepts Mexican and or Chinese food

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3rd range visit with the High Standard The Victor Military.
    Used CCI SV at 21' on 1.75" circles like I did the 1st range visit.

I forgot to mention the 2nd time I brought The Victor to the range I had:
    - 2 stovepipes after 125 rds
    - 2 FTL after 185 rds
    - 1 light strike.
    Today, the 3rd time at the range, I had:
    - 1 FTL
    - slide did not fully close x4.

I'm wondering if there is some gumming up inside the receiver that I can't see that would necessitate the pins to be taken out of the receiver to release the extractor, firing pin & the plunger/spring to be thoroughly cleaned? :scratch:
    I was using the slingshot method, but I had to push slide manually to completely be closed .
    In a stroke of genius, I tried releasing the slide stop, but no gain. :dunno:

I got my first 100% row today but felt cheated I didn't get the whole page at 100%, like I've done with the SW 41, but that might have been with the help of a red dot. :ugh:
    Got 94% for the entire page of 16 circles, a hair better than Monday's 93%.
    Had 2 rds of flyers on row 2 & in the same hole! :wallbash:
    I blame ammo since there were 9 in a row of 5/5 before that. :dunno:
    I started on the bottom row for practice to see if any adjustments were needed.
    Range 6.21.2023 3rd time CCI SV at 21ft on 1.75in cir.jpg

pic left side.jpg
    pic right side.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    3rd range visit with the High Standard The Victor Military.
    Used CCI SV at 21' on 1.75" circles like I did the 1st range visit.

I forgot to mention the 2nd time I brought The Victor to the range I had:
    - 2 stovepipes after 125 rds
    - 2 FTL after 185 rds
    - 1 light strike.
    Today, the 3rd time at the range, I had:
    - 1 FTL
    - slide did not fully close x4.

I'm wondering if there is some gumming up inside the receiver that I can't see that would necessitate the pins to be taken out of the receiver to release the extractor, firing pin & the plunger/spring to be thoroughly cleaned? :scratch:
    I was using the slingshot method, but I had to push slide manually to completely be closed .
    In a stroke of genius, I tried releasing the slide stop, but no gain. :dunno:

I got my first 100% row today but felt cheated I didn't get the whole page at 100%, like I've done with the SW 41, but that might have been with the help of a red dot. :ugh:
    Got 94% for the entire page of 16 circles, a hair better than Monday's 93%.
    Had 2 rds of flyers on row 2 & in the same hole! :wallbash:
    I blame ammo since there were 9 in a row of 5/5 before that. :dunno:
    I started on the bottom row for practice to see if any adjustments were needed.
    View attachment 282580

View attachment 282587
    View attachment 282586
    I’d keep shooting until it gets unbearable with failures before breaking it down all the way.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Your failure rate seems about right for HS. As I recall they were problematic. I think you're getting about all out of the pistol it can give. Might try some Ely...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had some fun with the SW 2206 SS (early/mid 1990s), using CCI SV.
    & the Bersa Thunder .22LR, using CCI Mini-Mags.

Just can't get 100% in a row. :nono:
    Flyers! :wallbash: Zackcz thinks it's me. :scratch: Boulderdash!!! :laugh:
    Failures: 0/80 rds
    View attachment 282588 View attachment 282589

Wasn't disappointed with the small Bersa Thunder .22LR since I don't have expectations.
    I just enjoy it b/c it's all metal with a hammer.
    I couldn't even see the "X" in the middle of the torso, haha!
    FTE 1/64 rds.
    View attachment 282590 View attachment 282591
    Your failure rate seems about right for HS. As I recall they were problematic. I think you're getting about all out of the pistol it can give. Might try some Ely...
    I do have some "good ammo" I'm saving for a special time with my best guns.
    Maybe it'll stop the infuriating flyers that appear from nowhere with bulk ammo. :wallbash:
    I was saving it mostly for rifle work, but might use some on 3 of my pistols, as well.
    Someday. :laugh:

Top Bottom