• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Thinking of getting a 22LR pistol for plinking.
    Would like to get a Browning Buckmaster but seem to be difficult to find.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    MrBlue

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    How about a revolver? Some people prefer them for plinking. Easier to clean and not as finiky with ammo. Ruger SP series, S&W 617 9 shot, and even Taurus Tracker might be some good choices.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    How about a revolver? Some people prefer them for plinking. Easier to clean and not as finiky with ammo. Ruger GP series, S&W 617 9 shot, and even Taurus might be some good choices.

+1. Ruger "Mark"s and Buckmasters are both PITAs to strip and clean. Go with a nice revolver.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The buckmark can have a much better out of box trigger than the ruger by far. Now you have to do the Hingis spring flip but that is easy to do.

Nothing wrong with a ruger but the triggers should be worked on or replaced.

Then again if you are looking for a plinker the an older High Standard dura matic, ruger mark II or starndard auto, sig 1911 22-b, would be worth looking at.

If your budget is high you can look at the Hämmerli 208S .22LR Bullseye Target pistol. That one should make about anyone happy along with the smith 41, high standard victor or browning nomad or medalist.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Browning Buckmark is nice as well as the Ruger MK series. A friend of mine has a S&W M&P .22 pistol. That seems nice too plus if you ever want to get a 9mm it will feel the same as the .22!

I have Ruger MKII. It is nice. Shoots well, built well and not hard to clean. Two or three times stripping it down with an instruction sheet and you will be able to do it blindfolded.

Don't let others scare you about field or even detail stripping a firearm. If you have some mechanical skills, you will be able to do it.

And if you are going to own firearms, you should be able to do that kind of work.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I have an old ruger single six, really helps you not to burn through so much ammo. And easy to break down and clean! And plus there's something to shooting a revolver that's fun.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    Browning Buckmark is nice as well as the Ruger MK series. A friend of mine has a S&W M&P .22 pistol. That seems nice too plus if you ever want to get a 9mm it will feel the same as the .22!

I have Ruger MKII. It is nice. Shoots well, built well and not hard to clean. Two or three times stripping it down with an instruction sheet and you will be able to do it blindfolded.

Don't let others scare you about field or even detail stripping a firearm. If you have some mechanical skills, you will be able to do it.

And if you are going to own firearms, you should be able to do that kind of work.
    +1 on everything in the quote above. I have 2 Buckmarks, a 10" Silhouette (which I shot in IHMSA competition) and a 5" Target. They are both good guns and I was very happy with them until a buddy bought a used MKII Government. That Ruger, with an unknown round count, is just stupid accurate. It turns average shooters like myself and several other shooters I've witnessed using it, into "grand masters". And it likes bulk-pack ammo!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I LOVE shooting my 'buckmark'! It's trigger is as good as exists on a pistol costing around $300 and waaay higher too. Two knocks on the 'buckmark':
    #1 is that the screw on the top can get loose and cause FTFs if you don't catch it (blue lock-tite).
    #2 is that you can't dry-fire practice with it. That seems to be true for most all .22s with flat firing pins.
    As far cleaning it, I haven't found a need to field strip it (Browning says not to futz with it) because it's open on both sides of the breach and I can slide a brush anywhere I need to.
    I also have a Ruger single-six which I recommend without reservation--and it has a round firing pin so Ruger said 'dry-fire away'!:rockwoot:

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I put a .22 upper on my rock island 1911 ... I enjoy the heck out of that gun. It's been 100% with federal bulk pack for probably 2000+ rounds now ... hates anything remington though.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have a Ruger 22/45 and its been a good gun but I would trade it in a minute for a Browning .22. Brownings have much better triggers for sure. I haven't shot my Ruger much since I got my smith 617 though. Revolvers don't seem to get the attention they used to nowadays but I really like my Smith.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    I have done well with a ruger single six revolver and agree that it saves ammo and gives you time to think between shots. But the Ruger MkIII has been very accurate for my newbie self and all the newbies I have taken to the range. It takes some practice, but is not hard to take down and clean. There may be room to criticize the factory trigger but it works very well for me, and I think I tend to be a bit picky about triggers.

Top Bottom