• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Not sure if this is a Reloading issue or a Weapon issue, so hope this is properly located.
    Looking for some Knowledge, as I've only recently entered the "AR World"
    I've now put aprox 100 rounds thru my Ruger AR556 & at the last Range visit, it jammed.
    Below are pics of the Case that Jammed.
    Is this a Loading Ramp issue on the Ruger (anyone experience anything similar)?
    I inspected the Loading Ramp & couldn't see any burrs or similar.
    Or, is this the result of Not Crimping the round.
    I've Never Crimped the 223 Rem, for my Mini 14's & never had anything like this happen.
    Should I Crimp all Rounds going in a my Ruger AR?
    As always, Thanks for any/all ideas.

1649247628087.jpeg

1649247656733.jpeg

1649247679345.jpeg

Attachments

• 1649247594655.jpeg
      1649247594655.jpeg
      20.9 KB · Views: 9

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    What is your load recipe? Appears to me to be a short stroke… like the bolt didn’t go fully to the rear before coming forward which didn’t give the empty case time to clear the upper. Could have been a light charge? Did it sound or feel different when you fired it? Have you run any factory ammo through it?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    With out having the rifle in front of me.....is this a piston driven or a DI (I believe Ruger offered both

These are hand loads? They run perfectly in another rifle? What is your recipe?

Could be a magazine issue (feed lips out of spec,, follower not moving freely,freely, spring)

Could be a "short stroke" issue (not enough power to fully cycle the bolt, to heavy of a spring/buffer for the bolt)

AR bolts are ment to run wet,

Aaron

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    What is your load recipe? Appears to me to be a short stroke… like the bolt didn’t go fully to the rear before coming forward which didn’t give the empty case time to clear the upper. Could have been a light charge? Did it sound or feel different when you fired it? Have you run any factory ammo through it?
    These were loaded as: 55g FMJBT over 23g of IMR 3031, CCI S-R Primer to touch em off. New Winchester 223 Rem Brass. Don't recall any Different sound from the Previous Round. Haven't run any Factory Ammo thru it-Yet.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    With out having the rifle in front of me.....is this a piston driven or a DI (I believe Ruger offered both

These are hand loads? They run perfectly in another rifle? What is your recipe?

Could be a magazine issue (feed lips out of spec,, follower not moving freely,freely, spring)

Could be a "short stroke" issue (not enough power to fully cycle the bolt, to heavy of a spring/buffer for the bolt)

AR bolts are ment to run wet,

Aaron
    It is DI & have no similar issues running these thru my Mini-14's
    Recipe(yes, Handloads): 23g of IMR 3031, 55g FMJBT, CCI S-R Primer & New Winchester 223 Rem Brass
    I used Different Mags that day & other rounds seemed to Chamber fine-before this Jam.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It is DI & have no similar issues running these thru my Mini-14's
    Recipe(yes, Handloads): 23g of IMR 3031, 55g FMJBT, CCI S-R Primer & New Winchester 223 Rem Brass
    I used Different Mags that day & other rounds seemed to Chamber fine-before this Jam.
    If other rounds (same recipe?) were running fine, then it's possible that that particular one was just slightly under-charged. It happens.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't think your problem is related to lack of crimping. I have never crimped .223 ammo for an AR. I did shoot out a top quality barrel or two every season in registered competition for almost a decade. Never met a Highpower competitor who did. Match bullets don't even have a cannalure for crimping.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've loaded thousands of .223, most of which has been shot through ARs. I don't crimp it, and I've never once experienced what you have there.

Did any of your other brass show damage or odd marks? If not, It may just be a fluke, or there may have been something out of spec with that particular round that caused it to do that.

I'd be tempted to load up some dummys and cycle them through the gun, watching the feed process and checking for any abnormal marks on ejected rounds. Be sure to use the same magazine you were using when that one got fouled up...that may be your culprit.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't think your problem is related to lack of crimping. I have never crimped .223 ammo for an AR. I did shoot out a top quality barrel or two every season in registered competition for almost a decade. Never met a Highpower competitor who did. Match bullets don't even have a cannalure for crimping.
    You sure?
    Screenshot_20220407-033225.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    These were loaded as: 55g FMJBT over 23g of IMR 3031, CCI S-R Primer to touch em off. New Winchester 223 Rem Brass. Don't recall any Different sound from the Previous Round. Haven't run any Factory Ammo thru it-Yet.
    Do you know where the bullet went? Was it bent out of the brass or pushed into the round?
    What is the reason you dont crimp with the 55 fmj bullets?
    Do you full resize new brass when loading?
    Do you use a case gauge after loading?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use the factory crimp on my 556 ammo. The only time I've seen it crumpled like that was when I was starting out reloading and brought the bullet down on a not properly aligned brass. Slightly moved out of the holder. If it wasn't caught it would definitely cause a jam.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I never bought a single match bullet with a cannelure. Sierra, Nosler, Burger or Hornady.
    I posted them because you stated they dont make a match bullet with a cannelure.
    If Sierra makes them, they must sell well. They seem to be OOS as often as the other 77 grainers.
    We shoot these on occasion.

Reactions: Leo

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Do you know where the bullet went? Was it bent out of the brass or pushed into the round?
    What is the reason you dont crimp with the 55 fmj bullets?
    Do you full resize new brass when loading?
    Do you use a case gauge after loading?
    The bullet remained in the mangled case. (the round wouldn't Chamber, so it was Not Fired)
    I've never Crimped the 223 Rem loads (didn't think it was required).
    I Full Resize even New Brass & also use a Case Gauge after loading All calibers.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I give everything that's going thru a autoloader at least a small crimp. That's what the cannelure is for. Can't hurt. All military ammo is crimped, must be something to it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The bullet remained in the mangled case. (the round wouldn't Chamber, so it was Not Fired)
    I've never Crimped the 223 Rem loads (didn't think it was required).
    I Full Resize even New Brass & also use a Case Gauge after loading All calibers.
    With 55 fmj I would go to a crimp, I hate to say Lee but the separate Lee Factory crimp die, works well.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Seen this on many occasions over the years. All most all could be traced back to not crimping the round. Case mouth didn't get sized properly leaving the tension weak allowing the bullet to set back into the case when is slams into the feed ramp leaving the sharp edge of the case mouth to drag and get caught on the feed ramp.

Seems to be more of a problem using 55gr bullets with AR's. Mini's have a different feed ramp setup which is more forgiving which may be why you haven't encountered it when shooting your Mini.

Just my 2 cents from shooting a lot of rounds through both AR's and Mini's and trouble shooting problems others have had at the range.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    After looking at your pictures, and rereading....my opinion, that round got caught on the edge of the magazine, now what caused that? Short stroking? Out of tolerance magazine ? Magazine follower/spring not working correctly? Or possibly bullet not seated deap enough and rubbed or got caught on the inside of the magazine, I have seen that often...

Aaron

Top Bottom