• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I'm looking at getting a can for a .223 with a .22lr kit. I've heard the most .223 can's are not that impressive, at least they only bring noise levels down to standard .22lr levels. I plan on shooting the .22lr kit more than .223. Checked with Bryce at Premier Arms in Brownsburg, and the .223 cans from Gemtech were about double the cost of a .22lr Outback. If it were you, would you spend the extra money for a .223 can for the limited benefits of the extra size and moeny for mostly .22lr shooting?

Doug K

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    double check to make sure you can shoot both through the same can without risking a baffle strike. The only downfall of a .223 can is you won't get rid of the sonic boom, other than that dropping it the sound of a .22lr is impressive. I have a can for a .22lr and its the quietest thing ever. I love it.

As far as which one I'd buy? I think the better question would be which one to buy first. :yesway:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yes, a rifle can is definitely a nice improvement. I've got a Gemtech G5 and yes, you hear the crack of the bullet but it contains all of the blast from my 11.5" barrel. It's day and night. I usually start out with the can on at the nearby DNR range and after I get a few looks like I'm using a fake can on a .22 rimfire, I take her off and expose my PWS brake and let them "feel" the 5.56.

You will surely get much more use out of a .22 suppressor. I get a lot more use out of my pistol can because I can go to the nearby indoor "pistol only" range day and night. I have to make a special trip to use the rifle can. Don't know if your circumstances are the same or not.

You can get a nice little Ruger pistol and use that Outback with subsonic ammo in your basement or garage if you want. You can get very quiet subsonic ammo and you're guaranteed to have a ton of fun.

Then again, people don't expect much noise from a .22 anyway. When they hear nothing but the sonic crack of your rifle bullet and nothing more, it's impressive.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Doug, get the .22lr can first, you will use it more and be happier with your purchase.

As far as 5.56 cans, if I ever get another one it will be an Ops. Inc. or a Surefire, I will never own any more products made by AAC.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    You want quite, go with a CZ452 Military and a Tac65. It gets no better than that. We have tested several 22 cans and the Tac65 seems quiter than cans costing hundreds more.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Thanks for the advice, guys. Britton, what are the Tac 65's runnign right now? Are the 1/2"x28 only or available in other threads? Do you have any of them in stock right now?

Thanks,
    Doug K

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What about the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom cans? The last time I looked over a year ago many thought they were a good value. Is that still true?

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I just sold the last Tac 65 tonight, will have another dozen or so coming in about a month from now, ATF is way behind. I have other Tactcal Innovations cans, AAC and Gemtech. The Tac 65 runs $249.00 retail. I don't move much on the cans, but when you buy a gun with it that is where I help you out. Yes, 1/2x28 and we have adapters for SIG, CZ and Walther in stock.

Top Bottom