• ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    does anybody have any practical experience shooting 22lr at 50 and 100 yds to answer this.

if you shot a 5 shot group with 1/2 moa with one speed of subsonic ammo (i.e. eley tenex) do you feel it would group 1/2 moa at 100yds? or a little faster speed would be necessary for the same size (1/2 moa) group.

i know 1/2 moa is 1/4'' at 50 and 1/2'' at 100yds.

i know i can answer my own question after this DA** weather warms up.

daryll

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have found that 1/2moa at 50 will be 3/4moa at 100 with the same ammo. That extra 50 yds being exposed to the wind effects what would be your 1/2 moa group.

With my cz I find I shoot sub moa at 175yds sometimes
    sub moa at 150yds 50%-75% of the time
    Sub moa at 125yds 75-90% of the time
    sub moa at 100yds 95% of the time
    sub moa at 50yds 99.9% of the time.

I'm not sure I answered your question, but those are what I see happening in my experience.

I have not done near the "playing with speed" you have but I've found changing the speed at all could cut your groups in 1/2, and it could double your groups. My rimfire appears to be a picky beast, but It pretty much the only on I've done tons of testing on, so I don't know if that's a caliber thing, or a my rifle thing.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have not done it myself, but you'd need ner prefect conditions for .5 moa at 50 to translate to .5 moa at 100 yds. With 22 lr.
    In general, speed would be your friend (I know you realize this based on OP). Do you need to stay subsonic?

That said, id love to be a fly on the wall for this experiment with subsonics.
    happy hunting!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have not done it myself, but you'd need ner prefect conditions for .5 moa at 50 to translate to .5 moa at 100 yds. With 22 lr.
    In general, speed would be your friend (I know you realize this based on OP). Do you need to stay subsonic?

happy hunting!

I always shoot long range sub sonic. Ive made hits at 500yds using subs. It helps not having that transition from super sonic to sub sonic.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.

happy hunting!

my original post is assuming very little wind, which i can shoot on my own range because of being surrounded by woods. but when it is windy you never know which direction its going to swirl from.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my original post is assuming very little wind, which i can shoot on my own range because of being surrounded by woods. but when it is windy you never know which direction its going to swirl from.

If I ever shoot in little to no wind Im going to embarrass myself. That 1 time a year I get little-no wind on my range its like a race to get as many rifles out as possible to confirm their no wind zero. Truth be told I probably dont own a rifle with a true windage zero due to my range conditions.

I guess its time to start digging my tunnel:):

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    It always amazes me how much a small 2-3 mph breeze can effect a .22 at ranges out past 100 yards. If I am shooting 1/2 MOA at 50 yards, I am generally around 1 at 100 with a small breeze. Sometimes even more than that depending on how dirty or warm the barrel is.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    You might enjoy reading this....https://www.arpc.info/sports.php?act=Jr Small bore

Google "smallbore" or "smallbore palma"

As to your original question, exploring the answers is what makes it fun. There is no "one" answer.

I really want to shoot smallbore palma. With iron sights.

boy, i cant see 25yds open sights anymore with my old eyes, let alone 200.

thanks for the link it was interesting to see what different clubs doing.

i'm trying to gear up for the new nra f-class smallbore competition this year. shots at 50 and 100 yds. for competition

Top Bottom