• ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A Smith model 41? Really?

That article was terrible. Let's name the most popular high cap handguns and call them best home defense, and let's throw in some single stacks in there too just to fill in space.

I wouldn't recommend that Solo to anyone though

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Wow, who knew that wheelguns and shotguns were not good for protecting your home? I've been doing it wrong.

A couple of years ago in Georgia, a man broke into a home occupied by woman and 2-3 kids. They somehow managed to retreat to the attic with a .38 Special revolver along for their protection.

She shot the gun empty. Hit the guy 5 times. And he still almost "got them". Mope lived.

Not that it was a wheel-gun that was the issue, but probably the combination of the handgun and what it was loaded with.

Anecdotally - one of my cousins knows this woman personally.

Moral: If you're going to be at the mercy of 5/6 shots - be sure they're the best shots you can put forth.

A .38 Special may take the fight out of ME (if I were a mope. What can I say, I'm lazy?), even 5 barely stopped this guy.

Have enough horsepower in your HD weapon/s to get done what may have to be done. And have training to use it/them.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A couple of years ago in Georgia, a man broke into a home occupied by woman and 2-3 kids. They somehow managed to retreat to the attic with a .38 Special revolver along for their protection.

She shot the gun empty. Hit the guy 5 times. And he still almost "got them". Mope lived.

Not that it was a wheel-gun that was the issue, but probably the combination of the handgun and what it was loaded with.

Moral: If you're going to be at the mercy of 5/6 shots - be sure they're the best shots you can put forth.

A .38 Special may take the fight out of ME (if I were a mope. What can I say, I'm lazy?), even 5 barely stopped this guy.

Have enough horsepower in your HD weapon/s to get done what may have to be done. And have training to use it/them.

If you shoot someone five times with a .38 and don't take them down, it's not the .38's fault.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think they have confused home defense with concealed carry.
    None of those small carry guns (over half of the list) qualify as home defense.
    In a handgun, for home defense, magazine capacity is a major issue.
    15 round minimum. IMHO

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think they have confused home defense with concealed carry.
    None of those small carry guns (over half of the list) qualify as home defense.
    In a handgun, for home defense, magazine capacity is a major issue.
    15 round minimum. IMHO

Or 6 rounds x 6 throughout the house, as I have. 15 doesn't do you any good if it's in the wrong room.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    If you shoot someone five times with a .38 and don't take them down, it's not the .38's fault.

People have survived multiple rifle shots to the torso.... It's not just a .38 thing.... It is a "There are no absolutes" thing.... Some people go down after 1 shot and some don't go down after 10....

Shot Placement may be king but Capacity is his queen.

That said, handguns are best for when you can't have a long gun.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    15-rd minimum? I don't even OWN any handguns with that many rounds in the grip. But then again I'm of th "go big or go home" theory of handgun calibers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bingo.
    Spend some coin on good defensive rounds.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

That, or the person is so high they just haven't realized they're mortally wounded yet.

IIRC, the story was from Florida. The woman was with her daughter, retreated to the attic. Was on the phone with the cops AND her husband who talked her through the shoot. The perp was saying "stop, stop....". The perp left and DROVE AWAY! He called 911 a few blocks away and axed for help......he lived.......

As for that list, meh. Some yes some no.....for me at least

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    A Smith model 41? Really?

That article was terrible. Let's name the most popular high cap handguns and call them best home defense, and let's throw in some single stacks in there too just to fill in space.

I wouldn't recommend that Solo to anyone though

I thought everyone used a $1400, Smith & Wesson, 7 inch, Model 41, 22lr for home defense. That's what it's made for!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    IIRC, the story was from Florida. The woman was with her daughter, retreated to the attic. Was on the phone with the cops AND her husband who talked her through the shoot. The perp was saying "stop, stop....". The perp left and DROVE AWAY! He called 911 a few blocks away and axed for help......he lived.......

As for that list, meh. Some yes some no.....for me at least

Didn't she hit that dude all 5 times in the face and upper torso? I read that story and thought, "Damn, that dude can take some punishment."
    IMHO, the mom did her job and protected the kids, the .38 did it's job and stopped further aggression on the part of the bad guy, win-win if you ask me.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    One of the most useless articles ive ever read on the subject.

There is no "best gun"... thats like saying a kobalt screwdriver is the "best tool". If you want to hammer a nail then a screwdriver is not a good choice.

Guns are tools and the "best gun" is the tool that best fits the scenario. AR-15s are obviously great defensive tools... but if you live in a cramped apartment with your 3 little kids... then a .38spc might be a better choice.

This article doesnt address much... they should have called it "good weapons" and left it at that.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Didn't she hit that dude all 5 times in the face and upper torso? I read that story and thought, "Damn, that dude can take some punishment."
    IMHO, the mom did her job and protected the kids, the .38 did it's job and stopped further aggression on the part of the bad guy, win-win if you ask me.

Good job Mom!! And good job .38. I agree, the threat was stopped.

Top Bottom