• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Well, you can shoot a deer with 9mm ball at 100 yards and kill it, too.

Most people agree that both are poor advice, for voluntary, intentional shots.

A little 485 or 490 round ball, by 100 paces, has lost probably 40% of its speed, and 65-70% of its energy. It's subsonic, and less than HALF the recommended energy levels for large whitetail deer.

It'll also be drifting an inch per mph.....

Better be real good at windage, or tracking. Probably both.
    100+ yards, complete pass through the chest. I know my rifle. Max range for me with open sights. IMG_20210828_200649812.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    Nice deer. :)

Muzzleloader hunting is really rewarding, in my opinion, and can be a great way to teach/learn. Repeat shots are almost never a reality. I admit I have strong opinions, and that at times, I have used Elk-appropriate loads, on deer. I hate tracking, and I hate for them struggle to die well. Doesn't mean I'm right; just means what I have chosen is what has worked for me.

6/10 of these were with .50 front stuffer..spans 30 years, but most of these were in about a decade, when I used to have more time.

Attachments

• IMG_6993.jpeg
      IMG_6993.jpeg
      310.7 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_6996.png
      IMG_6996.png
      2.5 MB · Views: 7
    • IMG_6992.jpeg
      IMG_6992.jpeg
      168.9 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_6995.jpeg
      IMG_6995.jpeg
      348.5 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_6994.jpeg
      IMG_6994.jpeg
      314.4 KB · Views: 5

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Nice deer. :)

Muzzleloader hunting is really rewarding, in my opinion, and can be a great way to teach/learn. Repeat shots are almost never a reality. I admit I have strong opinions, and that at times, I have used Elk-appropriate loads, on deer. I hate tracking, and I hate for them struggle to die well. Doesn't mean I'm right; just means what I have chosen is what has worked for me.

6/10 of these were with .50 front stuffer..spans 30 years, but most of these were in about a decade, when I used to have more time.
    It is, hands down, my favorite way to hunt. I have as much confidence in my ML's as I do my modern rifles. I cherish my pre-hunt routine, getting ready for the opener the next day. It's usually the only season to hunt with snow on the ground too.

Bleachey

Plinker
    Oct 8, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I really enjoy shooting my TC Renegade, conical bullet and #11 cap. I always assume I am the limiting factor when it comes to accuracy, but can hold a 2-3 inch group at 100 with it. I found 90 grains of powder produced the best results for me.

Like others have said, I do not think I would take a 100 yard shot with it, maybe 75 if I felt I was in a stable and supported shooting position. Have only had the opportunity to take 1 shot at a deer, about 45 yards and it dropped her in her tracks, hit the heart and one lung.

I believe it was mentioned above, the hardest thing for me is to really focus on holding on target because there is a delay.

And cleaning is imperative. I found a neat tool online to remove the nipple and it has a needle to clean the opening that sends the spark to the powder.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I still have the book that came with my TC Hawken when I bought it in 1985. It has handy ballistic info for both roundball loads and for the TC Maxiball bullet. I've always used the recommended 80 grain load for roundball. I guess I'm a rule-follower.

IMG_6471 - Copy.jpeg IMG_6472 - Copy.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_E6470 - Copy.jpeg
      IMG_E6470 - Copy.jpeg
      469.3 KB · Views: 2

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I still have the book that came with my TC Hawken when I bought it in 1985. It has handy ballistic info for both roundball loads and for the TC Maxiball bullet. I've always used the recommended 80 grain load for roundball. I guess I'm a rule-follower.

View attachment 336824 View attachment 336825
    I got mine for Christmas, as did my Pa, 1984. The boxes and manuals were in the attic when mom sold the house. I use 70 grains to target shoot and 90 to hunt.

10mm

Marksman
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I'm going to goof around and actually buy one of these just to Chrono the loads at different distances because I can't find the ballistic info like that anywhere. My poor Chrono will probably wish I was a better shot by the end of it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm going to goof around and actually buy one of these just to Chrono the loads at different distances because I can't find the ballistic info like that anywhere. My poor Chrono will probably wish I was a better shot by the end of it.

Just put a good size piece of 1/4" plate steel in front of it. No lead .50 round ball is going through 1/4" steel, so as long as you support it well, the chrono is safe.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I use a Kibler SMR in .45 and have not lost a single deer. You pay for the kit but get one of the best Flintlock locks made. I don't see any different shooting either caps or flint as both have their small things you need to do to shoot good. Right now Kibler has 3 rifle kits in most calibers used for hunting.

https://www.flintlocks.com/new/index.html Another good kit maker but more work

Tradesylver

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    I started with a cap lock and then "upgrade" to flintlock. Opinions vary. I've shot nothing but flintlocks since 1979. I'm not hunting anymore, but enjoy shooting at the local shoots with either the smoothbore 54 or 54 rifle. Actually I enjoy the smoothbore more since it doesn't have a rear sight to worry about. Old eyes can't see the rear sight like they use to. I had a new chunk gun built with a flintlock. I don't worry about supply line issues with getting caps. I started rendezvousing in Colorado in the 70s and that was pretty much focused on the fur trade era. When I moved back East, it was more F&I and Rev War era camping the Hawkins style rifle was not period correct. The smoothbore trade gun fits well with any period. I do enjoy competing against the rifle shooters at the local club with the smoothbore not in the top 3 but I'm not in last place either. You might consider a smoothbore flintlock, fun to shoot, easy to clean and rocks are readily available.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Hoping this year to do a traditional style hunt. I would have preferred a flintlock but I have a traditions Kentucky cap kit…. I bought it for my dad he never put it together before he passed. Hoping he brings me the big one this year, would be the icing on the cake if it were a fully traditional hunt with his gun.

Top Bottom