• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    For some, it may seem a long way off. I cannot believe how fast it is approaching.

What is the measure of a good deer season?

Is it the pounds of venison meat harvested?
    Is it the rack of the buck?

Sure such things factor into the equation.

I am hoping for more quite time in the woods this season and more time to hang out with a brother.

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    100% agree with the quiet time in the woods. I am of firm belief that the experience is the reward, a trophy is what you deem so. Big buck, doe, or seeing something you never dreamt you would see in in real life. I have harvested some big deer in my 42 years but by far the best hunt in my life was when I was lucky enough to help a good friend harvest his first deer. I can not wait to be there when both my boys are shaking and grinning standing over their trophy.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Took my oldest daughter out and she got her first deer last season. Loved that better than anything. Id like to try and just enjoy the season more and not feel as much pressure. Most of that I put on myself

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've been working the farm for a few weeks now making further improvements. Cleared two half acre spots in the woods to break things up and spent a few hours yesterday opening up a trail the deer use hoping to capitalize on a previously un hunted section.

We're heading out to burn about six acres of switchgrass this morning.

A successful season for us means learning more about the deer movements in and around the farm, seeing the benefits of our labors with increased deer numbers, maybe finding some new ground to hunt close by and creating as many opportunities to cross paths with mature bucks as possible. Killing a buck is icing on the cake but never a requirement for a good season.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Funny, I almost started the 2024 thread while I was at the Deer, Turkey and Waterfall expo.

Picked up one of these to put up near one of our heavily traveled deer trails, haven't decided if I'll put up another stand or just do a ladder stand by where the previous owner had his. It'd be a PITA to get a deer out from that section of the property though, so I'm still mulling it over.

Screenshot_20240328_095009_Chrome.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I need to get a few ladder stands up before the weeds and brush come in…… working on getting my box blind I built
    elevated but going to need an excavator or something…. Hoping to till a small plot for some clover near that blind.

But like others have said I love hunting even though I have only been doing it the last 8 or so years…….

I get 100% more satisfaction out of my kids harvesting a deer…….. I will continue to sit in the woods but I will wait for a deer that excites me. My kids fill the freezer now and I like watching the deer and NOT feeling the freezer pressure. Otherwise I just enjoy the unplugging and nature.

The real trophy this year will be getting my dad’s (68) first buck back from the taxidermist and my daughters (8)…… my dad isn’t here to see his but the fact that I got him his first buck in between chemo was and forever will be one of my most cherished moments. Obviously my daughter’s first bucks were up there also as great moments but I hope to have many more moments with them.

The excitement and pride that the deer brought to a grown man that was battling so many things (cancer and heart failure) towards the end was unforgettable and that is what the anti hunting crowd will never understand. To some it will be a mediocre deer hanging on the wall to me it will be a constant reminder of that day and all that went into it. My dad wrote up a little story about the experience i can’t get through it without crying now but i hope someday to hang that story next to that deer and smile. I tried for 2 years to get him his first and the fact that one walked out at that time last day of the season last light… really was special.

Sorry for that nice to vent on here some, still pretty fresh. And a lot of others don’t understand like I think some of you will.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom