• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep, gotta get them close enough for a shot first.
    Take the proper tool with you if possible.
    I hunt a lot from a shack.
    If I think coyote will be present, I'll bring a "reach out and touch something" rifle.
    When deer hunting I often take a .204 Ruger or something similar to dispatch coyote.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Take the proper tool with you if possible.
    I hunt a lot from a shack.
    If I think coyote will be present, I'll bring a "reach out and touch something" rifle.
    When deer hunting I often take a .204 Ruger or something similar to dispatch coyote.
    Hard to pack an rifle when turkey hunting. I have my .44 revolver with me as well, but still have to get them to respond and come in close enough for a shot. I don't hunt from a ground blind so I can stay mobile in the bigs woods I hunt.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Hard to pack an rifle when turkey hunting. I have my .44 revolver with me as well, but still have to get them to respond and come in close enough for a shot. I don't hunt from a ground blind so I can stay mobile in the bigs woods I hunt.
    Maybe you could trap the coyote.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.k. a question for you seasoned turkey hunters...
    I just went and reread through the regulations online and I'm still a little unclear about the annual bag limit.
    Are the seasons ( fall and spring) separate bag limits?
    What I'm really asking is, can I take a Tom in the spring and another in the fall, or is the limit one male bird per YEAR?

Trying to decide whether or not to get wound up for fall...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just went and reread through the regulations online and I'm still a little unclear about the annual bag limit.
    What I'm really asking is, can I take a Tom in the spring and another in the fall, or is the limit one male bird per YEAR?

I don't hunt in the fall, but it's my under standing they are separate bag limits with a Tom in the spring, AND a Tom or hen in the fall.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't hunt in the fall, but it's my under standing they are separate bag limits with a Tom in the spring, AND a Tom or hen in the fall.
    That's the way it reads to me as well, but I don't want to get into a bunch of crap for trying to check in an illegal kill...
    I've got the question posted on another forum that will be answered by a conservation officer.
    When I hear from him, I'll post back in this thread with his answer.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That's the way it reads to me as well, but I don't want to get into a bunch of crap for trying to check in an illegal kill...
    I've got the question posted on another forum that will be answered by a conservation officer.
    When I hear from him, I'll post back in this thread with his answer.

Thanks.

For me fall turkey is a target of opportunity while chasing whitetail.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Fall hunting is boring, as mentioned above, I'm not above sending an arrow after one while in stand, but to go out and target a fall bird I'll pass.

I've suggested to the DNR to make a two tom a year limit, where a guy can pop another in the spring, but that fell on dead ears.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Fall hunting is boring, as mentioned above, I'm not above sending an arrow after one while in stand, but to go out and target a fall bird I'll pass.

I've suggested to the DNR to make a two tom a year limit, where a guy can pop another in the spring, but that fell on dead ears.

I've done the same. Atleast in my area I understood a 1 bird limit for 10-15 of the last 10 years. We have enough now to bump it up.

That's the thing I hate about turkey season. I really only get 1 good outing a year.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My daughter got her first turkey Saturday in Dekalb co. She is 13 and we are new to turkey hunting. She did great. Hadnt ever fired a 12 gauge before. I was able to call this one and another the same size in with about 2 hours of work. It was 22.6 lbs and the beard is 10.25”. Any suggestions on someone in Hancock or Hamilton county to do a fan, spur, beard type mount?

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpeg
      IMG_0872.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 17

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Yesterday had 7 deer all in bow range 20 to 30 yards out. Heard 2 gobbles very far away and 1 shot after that. Got up to head back this morning, but its storming here.

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    Doubled in Tennessee with a buddy of mine on opening day, but I'm starting to eat my words about tss. I still can't bring myself to spend $15 for a single tss round, but I've been seeing more and more what they are capable of from others that I hunt with and I must say that they are impressive on how far out they will take a turkey down. It is just that much more painful when you miss
    I killed one with a 20ga TSS this spring. I won't go back.

They pattern as well as my 870 with 3-1/2" LBXR's #5 @40yds as my SXP with a 3" #9 Apex. The shotgun is lighter, the recoil is lighter, the shot is denser and going as fast or faster than a 12ga lead load.

The bird I shot threw his head back, landed on his back and kicked his feet for a minute until he expired; no flopping, no chasing, no silliness. 30 ish yard shot.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

The spring limit is one male or bearded turkey which is separate from the fall limit of one bird of either sex. You can kill up to two birds per year, one in the spring and one in the fall.

Top Bottom