• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a deer feeder set up in a valley where I hunt. The problem is the raccoons and the squirrels think it is their feeder.

It's gotten so bad both have figured out how to climb the tripod legs to get to the spinner plate on the feeder. So bad, in fact, they have actually chewed the wires to the solar panel I have that charges the 6 volt battery. In fact, one of those two varmints have actually pulled the 6 volt battery out of the plastic box. Somehow they unlatched the door and pulled the charger leads off !

I tried putting duct tape spiked with thumb tacks and exposed safety pins on the three legs. Didn't stop them.

Was thinking about a wire electric fence system but have no electricity to the area. I've looked at "systems" that could be battery powered - but they are kind of on the expensive side. Any suggestions on how to prevent the critters from getting to the corn spinner plate or where to get an electric fence system. EBay, Tractor supply, Harbor Freight, - -.

TIA
    A thin cone of plastic (think cone of shame for a pet) around each leg will stop coons but squirrels can probably jump above it and are probably light enough that it wouldn't collapse and dump them if they tried to climb past it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am worried. My largest buck hasn't been on any of my trail cams this month. I am afraid he may have broken a hip and died. We have mineral blocks out and spike the corn we feed but he is gone. I plan to bush hog some trails in the woods this week and will look for him while doing so.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Took the kid and his buddy to the beach this afternoon as one last hooray before school starts tomorrow. Pretty confident they took a third of the sand with them. His nuddy showered and I could still see sand. Gave his mom a heads up. (Pun intended)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I am worried. My largest buck hasn't been on any of my trail cams this month. I am afraid he may have broken a hip and died. We have mineral blocks out and spike the corn we feed but he is gone. I plan to bush hog some trails in the woods this week and will look for him while doing so.
    It's a little early for the move to fall range but they can still move around and disappear for periods of time around this time of year.

They can also get camera shy at times also.

Or he could be at local water source as a casualty of EHD.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It's a little early for the move to fall range but they can still move around and disappear for periods of time around this time of year.

They can also get camera shy at times also.

Or he could be at local water source as a casualty of EHD.
    I hope he is still up and running somewhere. I didn't see anything bush hogging today in the woods but a lot of fawns and mommas running around.

Top Bottom