• Status
    Not open for further replies.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The annual Christmas rib roast turned out well. The Meater probes impressed me this time around, my Flameboss controller for my egg finally took a dump (it withstood a lot of abuse) but I found that with the Meater giving me both an internal and an ambient temperature inside the egg I don't really need it any longer. Still requires manually adjusting the vents to get the temp where I want it but that's pretty easy with the egg.

55mmlpfh.jpg

JbSE3S6h.jpg

n0Ccjygh.png

5KehNFPh.jpg

eEtxAt8h.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The annual Christmas rib roast turned out well. The Meater probes impressed me this time around, my Flameboss controller for my egg finally took a dump (it withstood a lot of abuse) but I found that with the Meater giving me both an internal and an ambient temperature inside the egg I don't really need it any longer. Still requires manually adjusting the vents to get the temp where I want it but that's pretty easy with the egg.

55mmlpfh.jpg

JbSE3S6h.jpg

n0Ccjygh.png

5KehNFPh.jpg

eEtxAt8h.jpg
    That looks awesome!!!
    We cooked a 9lb standing rib Christmas morning ourselves.
    The next day we sliced up what was left for sammies this week.
    Makes me wish I would have bought a commercial slicer 30 years ago.
    987.jpg
    98765.jpg

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

55mmlpfh.jpg

JbSE3S6h.jpg

n0Ccjygh.png

5KehNFPh.jpg

eEtxAt8h.jpg
    Nephew made one Prime Rib on the smoker, and one in the oven. The consensus was the oven roasted was preferred.

I preferred the smoked Prime Rib. The added smoke flavor, especially of the bark was just phenomenal without being over powering.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cool baking trick for those rolls and biscuits we are making to go along with our meats.

My family switched to almond milk for various health reasons. Of course you really can’t use that to bake with in place of cows milk. And the gallon of milk will go bad before I can use it all baking. (and freezing is a PITA)

I found that good quality* powdered whole milk works great. I just mix in the correct amount of powder in with the dry ingredients then add water instead of milk. Works great.

*not that sweet tasting boxed crap you find at the grocery.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nephew made one Prime Rib on the smoker, and one in the oven. The consensus was the oven roasted was preferred.

I preferred the smoked Prime Rib. The added smoke flavor, especially of the bark was just phenomenal without being over powering.
    That makes me feel better, we voted and I wanted to grill it. But the girl that paid for it said cook it in the oven. I believe it was the best piece of meat I've ever cooked.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Cool baking trick for those rolls and biscuits we are making to go along with our meats.

My family switched to almond milk for various health reasons. Of course you really can’t use that to bake with in place of cows milk. And the gallon of milk will go bad before I can use it all baking. (and freezing is a PITA)

I found that good quality* powdered whole milk works great. I just mix in the correct amount of powder in with the dry ingredients then add water instead of milk. Works great.

*not that sweet tasting boxed crap you find at the grocery.
    Our mom had the same problem with milk going bad long before it was used.
    Where she lives she eats one meal a day at the restaurant in the community or takes it as carry out. She brings home one or two pint? milks that they serve at the restaurant and she keeps a few in the freezer.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    Smoked a prime rib on Saturday and a brisket on Sunday. Prime rib turned out excellent. Nice smoke flavor, not overpowering, excellent crust and a nice variety of doneness from rare towards the middle of the cut to medium towards the ends. Even my niece, who tends to lean towards a vegetarian diet thought it was great. Brisket was good, but not one of my better cooks. I got very far behind in getting it on the fire, I was a victim of circumstances. As a result I had to cook it at a higher temperature than I normally do and I had to cut the "wrapped cook" time short. It turned out okay, but it's a little tougher and drier than I usually achieve. It's still better than anything @d.kaufman ever made.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You guys that cook brisket, can I buy a full brisket and cut it in quarters to grill it? I would rather **** up a $25.00 chunk of meat than a $100.00 chunk, till I learn to do it.
    What says INGO?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You guys that cook brisket, can I buy a full brisket and cut it in quarters to grill it? I would rather **** up a $25.00 chunk of meat than a $100.00 chunk, till I learn to do it.
    What says INGO?
    I always do halves since you have a thicker point cut and a flat portion.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Smoked a prime rib on Saturday and a brisket on Sunday. Prime rib turned out excellent. Nice smoke flavor, not overpowering, excellent crust and a nice variety of doneness from rare towards the middle of the cut to medium towards the ends. Even my niece, who tends to lean towards a vegetarian diet thought it was great. Brisket was good, but not one of my better cooks. I got very far behind in getting it on the fire, I was a victim of circumstances. As a result I had to cook it at a higher temperature than I normally do and I had to cut the "wrapped cook" time short. It turned out okay, but it's a little tougher and drier than I usually achieve. It's still better than anything @d.kaufman ever made.
    :bat:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom