Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    smoking my first pork butt Monday. Any tips?
    Edit: Current plan is to rub and inject an apple juice/cider/spice mix, in the smoker @225 for up to 8 hours spraying periodically with the brine, wrap it in butcher paper at 160, pull it at 185, rest it in a cooler until it hits 195.

Last edited:

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    Edit: Current plan is to rub and inject an apple juice/cider/spice mix, in the smoker @225 for up to 8 hours spraying periodically with the brine, wrap it in butcher paper at 160, pull it at 185, rest it in a cooler until it hits 195.
    If you are pulling it the magic number is 198 for me. I take mine off at 198 then rest.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Got up ~4:30 this morning to get a shoulder put in the Bradley. Plugged it in to pre-heat, and about 45 minutes later it was only up to 77F. Main element wasn't working! Only the smoker part was working. Put the meat in anyway, figured I could get some smoke on it then finish in the oven. Did some sleuthing on the web, went back out and unplugged everything then plugged back in again. Working! When I checked on it at one hour, temp was up to 283F. Turned it down and it's holding at 231F.

It's only a 7lb shoulder, so it should be done by supper. Hope I have enough time to let it rest in a cooler for an hour. Got the smashed potato salad made and in the fridge, will make mac 'n cheese right before eating along with homemade strawberry ice cream and maybe chocolate ice cream if I'm up to it.

Pics later if I don't forget.:cool:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As mikek mentioned, I wouldn't pull it until it's near 200*. Somewhere in the 203*-205* range seems to be where both pork butts and brisket seems to really get tender. With pork you've got a pretty good bit of wiggle room in there. I don't wrap my butts and have never had one dry out on me and they always fall apart.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What's the weight? 8lb pork shoulder will take 12-15 hours on the smoker at 225°. I pull at 202° and wrap, then into cooler for a minimum of an hour. I don't spray with anything during the process. Water pan underneath is all. I just rub with my homemade rub 24hrs prior to smoking, throw it on the grill and walk away till it hits that 202°

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What's the weight? 8lb pork shoulder will take 12-15 hours on the smoker at 225°. I pull at 202° and wrap, then into cooler for a minimum of an hour. I don't spray with anything during the process. Water pan underneath is all. I just rub with my homemade rub 24hrs prior to smoking, throw it on the grill and walk away till it hits that 202°
    Hmmm.. its a small 6 pounder. I'll start a bit earlier.

EDIT: And I'm not against cheating and finishing in the oven at a higher temp to cheat/shorten the cook.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hmmm.. its a small 6 pounder. I'll start a bit earlier.

EDIT: And I'm not against cheating and finishing in the oven at a higher temp to cheat/shorten the cook.
    I always allow 2hrs per pound at 225° You never know how long the "stall" will last but allotting 2hr per lb will generally get it done in that timeframe.

The two 8lb shoulders I did yesterday, 1 took 13hrs the other took 15. That's before the wrap and into the cooler

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't pull it at a certain temperature, I usually just do it at probe tender. That is usually in the 195- 203 range so that's where I start checking.

Don't wrap at a certain temp either. I wrap it when it stalls, that's the reason for wrapping. It usually starts stalling in the 140-160 range.

Don't be afraid to run the smoker up to 250-275 after it's wrapped if you're on a time crunch.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've been pretty happy with this old school Weber Smokey Mountain. It has taken a little practice to learn now to manage it, but I think I'm finally getting it figured out a bit.... Here is a graph from my ambient temp probe....

CAE39328-2CD0-4245-80A6-8DC318D6E347.png

I've been shooting for 232 today... It held it steady!

You can see the big drop and spike where I pulled the ribs to wrap. On the way back down to 232 now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom