• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I have gotten 2 out the back door so far this year. About a dozen last year. Damn things are thick!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Coyotes been keeping the numbers down here. Only shot two last year on property both with 22 LR. Both taking refuge under building.

If I remember correctly this is breeding season and they will be out and about a bit more.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I've seen several in places that I haven't asked permission to hunt yet. Haven't seen any on our 34 acres. I took about 30 last year from our place and a neighbor's property.

I picked up a Remington 783 in .223 last year and it is a tack driver. Will definitely take some shots out to 300 yards with it. My mini-14 used to be my go to groundhog gun but i limited my range to 150 yards with that.

Looking forward to this season.

c676d1b650deb0c6f1879d141358d333.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 700 in .243 likes WW 80gr factory stuff well enough. Got a couple boxes from Brians Surplus.

Am down to one box of Nosler 70gr BT so keeping that in reserve. My reload is that on 4350. Its shot well in a few diff Remingtons over the years.

Got the beater #1 buttstock swapped and zeroed w Norma factory .22 250. Think the box says 53gr. Old wood grain cardboard packaging is still kinda cool.

Forget when the pups are weened. Start hunting when i see the little fuzz balls out and about. More targets and more humane IMHO.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    ~ Groundhoggers ~

I took my dog out a few nights ago (semi-rural area). The area was lit up fairly well (just flipped on the lights before going out the door). I like doing that to see what I can surprise outside.
    I caught a glimpse of something moving into the woods from a field area, about 75' away.
    I only saw the back half of the being. It looked chunky and dark brown, like a groundhog.
    BUT it wasn't waddling and had no visible tail. It was moving smoothly like a cat.
    I've seen plenty of foxes, groundhogs, cats, dogs, squirrels, coyotes, etc.
    If it was standing still, I would have said it's a groundhog. But the way it moved throws me off that I.D.

Any ideas of what I might have seen?

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    Got my first of the year on Saturday 4/8. Usually get 2/ yr. Damn things den under my deck or yard barn. My son dispatched an entire litter a few years ago just sitting on the back patio picking them off.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    ~ Groundhoggers ~

I took my dog out a few nights ago (semi-rural area). The area was lit up fairly well (just flipped on the lights before going out the door). I like doing that to see what I can surprise outside.
    I caught a glimpse of something moving into the woods from a field area, about 75' away.
    I only saw the back half of the being. It looked chunky and dark brown, like a groundhog.
    BUT it wasn't waddling and had no visible tail. It was moving smoothly like a cat.
    I've seen plenty of foxes, groundhogs, cats, dogs, squirrels, coyotes, etc.
    If it was standing still, I would have said it's a groundhog. But the way it moved throws me off that I.D.

Any ideas of what I might have seen?
    Small Bobcat?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My dogs do all the groundhog killing here, I think the tally was 7 last year.

Haven’t seen a single one so far this year. There’s two properties behind us that have dogs now, so I’m guessing the groundhogs have moved somewhere safer.

Top Bottom