• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    What I'm hearing - Nothing is going to get thru the IN senate. That is, nothing that conservatives want. The gov doesn't want anything to pass; of the senators seeking re-election, almost none are being challenged in a primary so they have no real reason to listen to 'we the people'. I will be seeing Liz Brown on Thursday, but do not expect it to matter. Do make calls; every one helps send the message.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We've opened up another front in the House.

SB 143 (Self Defense) had it's first reading in the House and was assigned to Courts and Criminal Code Committee.

It's really crunch time on the House-side. Wendy McNamara is the committee chair. It's time to let her know we're here.

Link below the draft email.

Representative,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 143, Self Defense. Authored by Senators Doriot, Baldwin, Michael Young, and co-authored by Senators Garten, Koch, Bohacek, Freeman, Sandlin, Busch, Crane, and Tomes. This bill is sponsored by Representatives Smaltz, Lucas, Teshka, and Bartels

SB 143 corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

This bill does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 143 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 143 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 143 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 143 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

SB 143 (Self Defense) had it's first reading in the House and was assigned to Courts and Criminal Code Committee.

It's really crunch time on the House-side. Wendy McNamara is the committee chair. It's time to let her know we're here.

Representative,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 143, Self Defense. Authored by Senators Doriot, Baldwin, Michael Young, and co-authored by Senators Garten, Koch, Bohacek, Freeman, Sandlin, Busch, Crane, and Tomes. This bill is sponsored by Representatives Smaltz, Lucas, Teshka, and Bartels

SB 143 corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

This bill does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 143 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 143 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 143 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 143 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

Bump 1 !!!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Slight update on the draft: direct all fire at Speaker Bray and your Senator. CLEARED HOT!!

Senator,

I am writing to urge your support of HB 1077, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Representative Smaltz and co-authored by Representatives Lehman, Lucas, Snow, Carbaugh, Lindauer, Engleman, Gutwein, Wesco, Teshka, May, Behning, Heaton, Frye, Mayfield, Hostettler, Jeter, Judy, Abbott, Lauer, Barrett, Leonard, Cook, Davis, Ledbetter, VanNatter, Heine, Manning, Davisson, Payne, and Borders. HB 1077 is sponsored by Senators Koch, Tomes, Houchin, and Messmer.

After what happened in the Senate Judiciary Committee with the Senate Bill 14 (Firearms Matters) hearing, HB 1077 (a bill which overwhelmingly passed the House) must be assigned to the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee in order to receive a fair hearing.

This bill codifies the lawful carry of handguns, and comes at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 21 States with permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who opposed such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting. This is further proved by the fact that no State which has repealed its handgun licensing scheme, has re-instated it because it drove an increase in criminal activity. Put simply: the law-abiding don’t commit crimes. Criminals commit crimes and are undeterred by licensing schemes.

HB 1077 does not change the definition of “proper person” that currently exists, nor does it make it lawful to possess a firearm when an individual is currently a prohibited possessor.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), and the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law”, and “Church Carry” (2019). Again, the dire consequences predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

Of the 21 States with Constitutional Carry of handguns, 20 previously had handgun licensing requirements. Zero States have reinstated the licensing requirement.

I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Bump 2 !!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No break for Abigail!! Also 1-800-382-9467, multiple directions!
    I picture her sitting there, going through voicemail, with a spreadsheet open. The spreadsheet has bill numbers down the left side and two columns, "pro" and "con".

Maybe someone got creative and set it up so that whichever column was greater than 50% of the total would light up green and the other one red, I don't know. I hope that all of this that we're writing is being appreciated by those receiving it.

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I picture her sitting there, going through voicemail, with a spreadsheet open. The spreadsheet has bill numbers down the left side and two columns, "pro" and "con".

Maybe someone got creative and set it up so that whichever column was greater than 50% of the total would light up green and the other one red, I don't know. I hope that all of this that we're writing is being appreciated by those receiving it.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I picture her there hitting delete every time she hears anything about this bill

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    More e-mails sent, to busy to call today.

Neither bill is on the February 9th agenda. I am REALLY getting p***** off at the Republican Party leadership. Do they want the votes of constitutionalists, 2A supporters, and any of the newly awakened gun owners who realized in 2020 that the Gov might not be there to save them? There performance is just pitifully weak.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    More e-mails sent, to busy to call today.

Neither bill is on the February 9th agenda. I am REALLY getting p***** off at the Republican Party leadership. Do they want the votes of constitutionalists, 2A supporters, and any of the newly awakened gun owners who realized in 2020 that the Gov might not be there to save them? There performance is just pitifully weak.
    This looks like a slow-roll on both bills. We keep it up with emails and calls, that's what we can do from here.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Representative,

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

One more week to get this one a hearing. 1-800-382-9841, Representative McNamara needs some phone messages.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Concentrate all fire (pun intended) on 317 232 9414!!! Give HB 1077 a hearing and a vote!!
    No break for Abigail!! Also 1-800-382-9467, multiple directions!
    Should we give poor Abigail a break and stop calling this number? BA-HAHAHAHA!! No.
    Hello Abigail, it's me again!! OK don't do that, it sounds creepy. But definitely call and leave a message supporting HB 1077: give it a hearing and a vote.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Well, the Senate and House lines are bound up with a wait time, but Abigail's voice mail was still able to record a voice mail.

I did get through to a legislative intern in the House who took my message for Representative Schaibley (my Rep) who is Vice Chair of the Courts and Criminal Code committee handling SB143.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom