• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    WOW didn't know the 10 mm was a legal Cartridge to use ?
    I will have to get the shoulder holster for the 220

Still has to have a 4" or longer barrel.
    I was carrying my 1911 10mm, hoping to have an excuse to use it. It has a 5" barrel.
    I figured, if one came close enough...a 10mm round is cheaper than a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Shoulder breakage means they should die on your side of the fence.

Lots of people are cool w tracking/ recovery next door. Have heard of relationships changing after a big one gets killed.

To hell w the front shoulders. Drop em.

Exactly, very well said. Not everyone hunts in a bean field. Our terrain is rough and hilly and properties are narrow. Some of the neighbors won't give permission to retrieve the deer so we shoot to drop them. The front shoulder shots lose a little meat but not a significant amount.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Got two does Saturday morning. It's been 4 years since I got a deer, and never with my .308 rifle. The handloads and rifle did the job well - neither doe ran more than 30 yards and were gone in less than a minute after the shot. No injuries, no long chases, no suffering animals. That's how I hope it will always be going forward. I hunt for herd reduction first, meat second, trophies way down the list. The farmer on whose land i hunt was concerned that I would not be back after these two. I assure them I was not done yet.

Was in the stand around 7:15 Saturday. Herd of 3 does and 3 yearlings straggles through at 8:30 within 30 yards. After each shot I tried not to spook them, and they hung around for about 1/2 hour, milling about, eating a little, not in any hurry. I could have got at least two more, but our freezer is full of vegetables!

Both were checked by DNR at the processors - no signs of any disease.

Thank you, deer, for your sacrifice.
    75534353_10220632468340438_1521811942103056384_n.jpg

photo.php

photo.php
    photo.php

Better check on the limit, Spencer. No county has more than 2 for bonus antlerless this year. DNR lowered the quota so be sure of the regs b4 you get any more does.
    Tomorrow is opening day for me. Freezer doe is priority. Big antlers could tempt me. Under 3 y/o gets a pass.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Better check on the limit, Spencer. No county has more than 2 for bonus antlerless this year. DNR lowered the quota so be sure of the regs b4 you get any more does.
    Tomorrow is opening day for me. Freezer doe is priority. Big antlers could tempt me. Under 3 y/o gets a pass.
    Did check the limit, and I have a bonus license for the next one. But I will make sure - the regs are rather confusing.

No deer in this next pics, but I value this more than a big buck. My youngest and I went out this morning on his 17th birthday. Didn't see any deer, but many squirrels, a raccoon, lots of fresh rubs, scrapes and tracks. I never had hunting as part of my cultural heritage, and we never had guns growing up. I didn't start hunting until 5 years ago, thanks to an amazing mentor. The other kids were moved out by then. The youngest has sort of grown up in a different family, because his parents have also grown and changed. He enjoyed being out in nature. and hiking around afterward.

77368862_10220641503286306_5122684502702817280_n.jpg

75567436_10220641503006299_580283582434508800_n.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Nice buck! Is that with the Grendel?
    Yessir! 123gr SST. It was such a big bodied buck that I got to see the limitations of the round: the first one spined him (poor shooting on my part due to buck fever) but the second round hit the heart, but did not pass all the way through. While it’s great for deer and hogs, I wouldn’t select it for anything larger.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Been battling some minor health stuff. Shot my deer and did not even look for damage or try to recover bullet.
    Did not exit (Hornady 200 gr factory .35 rem).
    Only thing I did notice, he had a BIG heart (untouched).
    Shot was quartering to.

Was gonna slide a bullet head on, was crunched back against my tree to shoot beside two others between us. Fear was doe going left and he following at speed.
    But she went behind and right of me and he moved to my right.

Rolled my aching spine fwd and brought the gun up.
    The crosshairs were on the neck/shoulder junction .......perfect.
    And he buckled.

I didn't get on the deer and move the crosshairs. I was looking at that spot on him and brought the gun up and they were there.
    Don't remember "squeeze".

Do remember thinking "that's it" and he crumpled.
    Never a twitch or even stretch a leg.
    Flat out done. Right there.

Junk arse 4X from the 80's on a 60's era rifle.
    Puddly cartridge w a non MOA rig.

Freakin magic wand that rifle is.

Kinda feel bad, makes it so dang easy. The gun is an extension of the hunter, so integrated as to lose its identity.
    Other than being a perfect tool.

Being a gear geek is fun.

But that thing (rifle) has become an absolute.
    Its no longer rifle hunting, or gun hunting.............it's just hunting.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My junk works so well, it's kinda killing the "gear geek" in me.
    Might get yet another deer rifle, from a family member.
    Might buy another #1, just because I like em.

Guess I'll have to burn my play money on out of state tags instead of toys.
    Waited a yr for this and it's over.
    Kind takes the wind out of a guy.

Plod through the crap for another yr, just to hunt antlers again.

Enjoy your hunts. Its over with way too soon :(

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hookeye, have you tried hunting with something that’s deliberately a handicap? That’s my plan for next year: exclusively using a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag to make it interesting!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have shot some small 8 pointers w Colt Python, Smith 629, Ruger SuperRedhawk and 3 screw Superblackhawk.
    I bowhunt with Blackwidow recurve. Shot some small bucks and does elsewhere over the years, nothing of size....biggest a 100" net 8 pt, but hey, I shot him on the move ;)

My hunting spot nowadays is small. Can't make a day of stillhunting like on my old spot.
    Can't manage it either.
    Never know if anything will come around, let alone something decent.

Been some bad yrs out there....as in maybe see two fawns all season.
    Bottom line- at least for me- I can't kill em from the couch LOL

I like being out there, and suffer through allergies and cold.
    But with a buck tag in my pocket I am driven, have a purpose.
    Once that's filled............I feel empty.

Really don't have the heart to shoot a doe w gun anymore. Have taken one since '99.
    That to test a new to me cartridge. Really don't have the numbers to justify another.
    Meat is better though.

Buddy says lets go button buck hunting. And he said video it w Contender pistol.
    So that's the plan from here out.
    I suppose I could zip one w recurve on vid.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Exactly, very well said. Not everyone hunts in a bean field. Our terrain is rough and hilly and properties are narrow. Some of the neighbors won't give permission to retrieve the deer so we shoot to drop them. The front shoulder shots lose a little meat but not a significant amount.

Agreed, better to lose a little meat than the whole deer.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    What's the limit in Howard county? I hunt coyotes at a property, and the farmer who owns the property asked me to get rid of them.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Killed a wide 12 in Ripley Co. opening evening.Unfotunetely my picture posting abilities suck.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Tonight was the first time I have seen rut activity, besides the young bucks running does. Saw 4 different bucks, 3 of them with does. One was 140"+, but unfortunately he was on the neighboring property.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    What's the limit in Howard county? I hunt coyotes at a property, and the farmer who owns the property asked me to get rid of them.
    Basically Your allowed 1 buck and two anterless but your breaking the law if you shoot them at night. The landowner needs to apply for depredation tags for you to legally hunt the deer without spending money on a license. He can kill all the deer he wants on landowner permits but they need to be checked in to be legal. if you use his landowner permits, again your breaking the law. It's up to you but but careful, The CO's today are "cops" and you could loose your equipment, hunting privileges etc.

Steve

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Leaving fri afternoon. Taking my 14 year old daughter. She's trying to get her 2nd deer. Taking my nephew, hes bringing his 5 year old daughter. were all sitting in 2 double ladder stands I have up. Hopefully the farm is active for the kids

Top Bottom