Not open for further replies.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I've participated in the making but no more. In all honesty it is really hard to make without getting it too salty and the end product just isn't worth the time and effort to me. I prefer my cured meats to have more fat in them.

That's what I want to steer clear of....too salty. As for cured meats-I got hooked on Hungarian Gyulai sausage. The wife's step-mother is from Hungary, and they would always have it on a cheese/sausage plate during get-togethers. Can't get enough of that.

I make it quite a bit, I use Mortons sugar cure and follow the ration listed on the package. I just rub it on along with some black pepper, greek seasoning, and honey. Coat the meat really well andand put in a food safe container usually for a week (I think it calls for 1 day for ever half inch thickness of meat), flip the meat everyday in the container. Then I pull it out and smoke it to 140 internal temp. The product is basically ham, but I'll take homemade ham for $2/lb vs $6/lb at the store.

You can soak in water for a day before smoking to remove some of the saltiness if you need to, but I never do.

I'll take a look at the Morton's, thanks. My old veterinarian used to sugar-cure his own hams. After it was done hanging for however long it took, he would rub it down with his homemade cider vinegar and slice it up. He gave me a slice one time, really awesome stuff.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Sorry Doc, religious principles prevent me from smoking a melon...

Do have a few pics of late: Kroger had a bunch of bacon for $1.70 a pound on manager special so I got 40 pounds. BLT:

cSoSES.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    More giant prawns. The local Kroger got these 4-6 counts in probably by mistake as they only had a few bags and they immediately marked them way down, cheaper than the 25-30's.

1/4 pound shrimp taste pretty much like lobster.

BWniq2.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why would anyone want to do this unless they were vegan? If you want smoked ham, smoke a ham. If you want watermelon, grab a salt shaker and have some watermelon. These 2 things do not go together. :puke:

You’re not at all curious what it would taste like? I am.

if itnwere up to you we’d never have a zedonk

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    You’re not at all curious what it would taste like? I am.

if itnwere up to you we’d never have a zedonk
    I'm curious enough to try it if it was offered. I'm not curious enough to field dress a melon, make a melon rub, and burn the charcoal and wood, etc.

Is the recipie out there? If not, I doubt what I would make would come out close to the original.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom