• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My wife got her first deer ever... the deer itself wasn't impressive, just a mature doe (she was bummed because she really wanted a buck) but it was all impressive to me.

When we first met she was an anti-gun city-girl that would (did) turn her nose up at deer meat. After over a decade of work, she asked if she could shoot the first deer this year.

We're lucky that we have the opportunity to be able to hunt from our home, which works well because we have young children and full-time careers that would otherwise limit our hunting time to very little each year.

Sunday we were just about to sit down for dinner when I saw a deer out in the field. I checked my range chart, 200 yards. Right about the limit of which I feel comfortable in my wife's abilities when hopped up on adrenaline. Thankfully the wind had calmed from earlier. I asked if she wanted to take her, and she jumped at the chance. She distracted the kids (which only worked with one) and we went upstairs, cracked the window, and waited for the perfect shot. At one point she presented a chance and my wife asked if she could shoot, but by the time I answered the doe had moved again. We waited a few more minutes and she gave a good shot. My wife let a 150 gr .308 piece of lead fly from my suppressed Rem 700. The doe crumpled on the spot, high lung shot that crushed her shoulder. Good thing because she was bleeding completely internally when we got to her, she never would've left a trail. My wife was super excited, and last night we enjoyed fried tenderloin medalions (or whatever you want to call them) and mashed potatoes (a tradition after processing a deer). She was a well-fed doe, definitely at least a 2-1/2 yrs old, and tasted excellent. I've never had a deer that tasted so mild and was so tender before...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'd look them up and ask. All the owners I hunt next to have been very understanding and have had no problem givinge permission to enter their property to retrieve a deer if needed.

Yep.

Just everybody be aware that you are playing in their sandbox at that point, so you have to play by their rules. Just check your ego and go with what they say.

I have a No Weapons policy with people from across the line. Literally, they either leave the guns and bows at the truck or property line, or we leave the deer to rot. I am not compelled to give a reason, but if pressed, it is a simple "I don't trust you."

I also lead the track when possible.

Given the previously mentioned beggars/choosers deal, I've yet to have anybody protest more than a sentence or two.

-Nate

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My wife got her first deer ever... the deer itself wasn't impressive, just a mature doe (she was bummed because she really wanted a buck) but it was all impressive to me.

When we first met she was an anti-gun city-girl that would (did) turn her nose up at deer meat. After over a decade of work, she asked if she could shoot the first deer this year.

We're lucky that we have the opportunity to be able to hunt from our home, which works well because we have young children and full-time careers that would otherwise limit our hunting time to very little each year.

Sunday we were just about to sit down for dinner when I saw a deer out in the field. I checked my range chart, 200 yards. Right about the limit of which I feel comfortable in my wife's abilities when hopped up on adrenaline. Thankfully the wind had calmed from earlier. I asked if she wanted to take her, and she jumped at the chance. She distracted the kids (which only worked with one) and we went upstairs, cracked the window, and waited for the perfect shot. At one point she presented a chance and my wife asked if she could shoot, but by the time I answered the doe had moved again. We waited a few more minutes and she gave a good shot. My wife let a 150 gr .308 piece of lead fly from my suppressed Rem 700. The doe crumpled on the spot, high lung shot that crushed her shoulder. Good thing because she was bleeding completely internally when we got to her, she never would've left a trail. My wife was super excited, and last night we enjoyed fried tenderloin medalions (or whatever you want to call them) and mashed potatoes (a tradition after processing a deer). She was a well-fed doe, definitely at least a 2-1/2 yrs old, and tasted excellent. I've never had a deer that tasted so mild and was so tender before...

:yesway: Impressive!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Well, I never found the one from yesterday. I could go seek out the land owner and attempt to track it, but with no blood trail and multiple deer trails through the woods to wander blindly (some I already did) I decided to let it go. I honestly don’t think it was a kill shot, but I can’t be certain.

I went back out this morning to my normal stand in a different woods and put down a small 8 pointer. Some guys wouldn’t consider him a shooter, but he was to me and will eat good. Being 2.5 hours away from home and only having a limited number of days to hunt doesn’t lend to being super picky when it comes to buck size. I’m happy, the Mrs is happy, and we will have meat in the freezer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks or if they’d have let the buck walk. As long as it’s legal it’s your decision, glad to hear you got one and are happy. Congrats!!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks or if they’d have let the buck walk. As long as it’s legal it’s your decision, glad to hear you got one and are happy. Congrats!!

Thanks!

Pics:
    Doe Saturday morning
    Coyote Sunday morning
    Buck Tuesday morning - typical 8

twz02ke.jpg

P2e7Cjv.jpg

l9dzhmC.jpg

KKqz0ps.jpg

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Congrats to everybody that's gotten it done so far. Heading back out again this evening. Sat Saturday morning in the wind and rain but didn't see anything. Had a small buck missing his right side come by this morning. Windy again today so I think i'm going to head to my stand instead of my blind and see if that changes anything. There's a pretty good 8 running around. I've got him on camera and have seen him both before and after shooting hours.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    They all look great! Looks like hard work, patience and some luck is paying off! :yesway:

We went out to look for a blood trail this afternoon and to take distance measurements etc. Didn't find much blood at all from 2 x 450BM thru-n-thru hits. Quite interesting.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I got a nice Doe Saturday. Would have gone back out Sunday but our freezer is FULL!!! Just got a side of beef. Barely got the girl in it. Still have 2 more tags to fill. Sigh. Will have to see if I can get room eaten into the freezer. (Other family members have a full freezer as well, else they would get the next one).

Sigh. First world problems.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nice deer and weapon choice!

One of these days I need to work up a good Garand safe hunting load for my M1.

I have one worked up and tempted to go out with it for the rest of the season and see if I can't get a doe with it. I've got a 150 Hornady SST load worked up based on my 150gr Hornady FMJBT load for my Garands.

Stang, what round did you use?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Congrats! Younger does are delicious!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I got a nice Doe Saturday. Would have gone back out Sunday but our freezer is FULL!!! Just got a side of beef. Barely got the girl in it. Still have 2 more tags to fill. Sigh. Will have to see if I can get room eaten into the freezer. (Other family members have a full freezer as well, else they would get the next one).

I've got room in my freezer.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

some shelters/food pantries will take them. There is a sign up at the processor I go to saying you can donate deer to the cause. I didn’t get all the details but I’m sure there are some in your area as well.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Got #5 with the 450 BM Monday afternoon around 1:35pm. Decided to head to the stand early and wasn't there 10 minutes when he popped up. Pretty sure he was bedded not 40 yards in front of me in some thick stuff. Wind was right for it. I always tell myself I'm a trophy deer hunter and I'll go for the big ones...well, not this year anyway.
    U5F9KUl.jpg

3HWccCj.jpg

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    for those that process yourself, how long does it take you -- start to finish? Mine took way too long, but I was learning lots while doing it. Content with the outcome - just curious what time others spend on it.

Top Bottom