• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    IMO that is the way to go. I've been doing poor man sous vide with a cooler, pot of boiling water, and thermopop for a while. What kind of skillet do you use for the sear?

Just a standard Teflon pan, as I cant seem to find our cast iron pan since we moved. I was half tempted to go outside and fire up the grill for the finish, but sometimes thats more work then its worth, especially since it was only a sirloin.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Just a standard Teflon pan, as I cant seem to find our cast iron pan since we moved. I was half tempted to go outside and fire up the grill for the finish, but sometimes thats more work then its worth, especially since it was only a sirloin.
    On winter weekends, I'll let the fireplace burn down to hickory embers, chuck a cast iron grate off my smoker on the bed of coals, and sear whatever is coming out of the sous vide on there after it come out of the water. IMO it works even better than the grill and I don't have to go outside.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Kroger has pork shoulder on sale for $0.99 a pound right now. I'm hoping it comes out good. Just wish I had a better grill to use.
    I did 35 lbs of the 99 cent kroger shoulder last night. It came out just fine:
    aWttsN.jpg

LdDtUZ.jpg

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I may be crazy for smoking a pork shoulder when it's only 17 degrees out but I don't care. Where does everyone get their wood chunks from? all I find in chunks is mesquite and hickory and everything else is just in chips.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I may be crazy for smoking a pork shoulder when it's only 17 degrees out but I don't care. Where does everyone get their wood chunks from? all I find in chunks is mesquite and hickory and everything else is just in chips.

Walmart and Meijer have chunks of hickory, Apple, oak, cherry, and mesquite. IMO, nothing beats hickory for pork butts.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Schedule didn't allow for smoking today but really wanted some Northeast North Carolina BBQ so I threw some loins off the wild hog I shot in the slow cooker with my secret NC BBQ sauce and let it cook all day. Just shredded it and added some more sauce, waiting to make a fat sammich.

Top Bottom