• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Spring is near and the 2011 NRA Bullseye schedule is posted. MCFG Indy Range - NRA Bulls Eye

April 16th is "Bring a Buddy Day" so if anyone wants to give it a try I will loan you the guns, pay your entry fee, provide the ammo for free, and buy your lunch. Shooting starts at 9:00 am @ MCFG, registration begins at 8:00 am. The tournament makes for a full day, usually around 3:00 pm when they rap things up. Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    mcfg "bring a buddy '

I am fairly new to ingo. I have carried off and on for over 20 years with training from dear old Uncle Sam.
    This spring 2 of my goals are to check out MCFG and to begin competitive shooting. I am a fairly good shot but 64 y/o so probably not as good as I once was.. I would like very much to be a part of your group.
    "I'M IN"

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Spring is near and the 2011 NRA Bullseye schedule is posted. MCFG Indy Range - NRA Bulls Eye

April 16th is "Bring a Buddy Day" so if anyone wants to give it a try I will loan you the guns, pay your entry fee, provide the ammo for free, and buy your lunch. Shooting starts at 9:00 am @ MCFG, registration begins at 8:00 am. The tournament makes for a full day, usually around 3:00 pm when they rap things up. Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Could you explain what "NRA Conventional Pistol Shooting Equipment" means in layman's terms? Our goal with that section of the website is to explain what a new shooter would need to bring in order to shoot their first match. I know it can seem kinda redundant to post all this stuff for people who have competition experience, but it makes a huge difference when trying to encourage new people to try a shooting sport for the first time.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    MCFG President

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Could you explain what "NRA Conventional Pistol Shooting Equipment" means in layman's terms? Our goal with that section of the website is to explain what a new shooter would need to bring in order to shoot their first match. I know it can seem kinda redundant to post all this stuff for people who have competition experience, but it makes a huge difference when trying to encourage new people to try a shooting sport for the first time.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    MCFG President

We like to get them out shooting before we tell them how much money they are going to spend.

Seriously a lot of folks get scared of the cost but I have done it on a very small budget and still am competitive. You can build you guns and equipment up over time. I shot my first year without a pistol box and only 2 pistols. This sport is all about the basics and will improve your scores in other disciplines.

"NRA Conventional Pistol Shooting Equipment" means in layman's terms.

Besides the guns most shooters have a "Bullseye" pistol box.

picture.php

A spotting scope that attaches to the box is a big help and allowed. Other items include extra mags, stapler, and pasters.

Here is quick breakdown of a typical match.

Bullseye type shooting or NRA conventional pistol. This type of shooting is done with one hand. There are no tactical moves or anything like that. Course of fire is 50 yards slow fire 10 rds, 25 yard timed and rapid fire 10 rds each. They use 3 pistols .22, center fire, and .45 the .45 can be used on both center fire and .45 stages. This the type of pistol matches that is shot at Camp Perry. You compete in classes according to your ability. It is the only type of match that points are awarded towards distinguished badges (leg matches).
    There are lots of nice people that will help you with anything. I have even borrowed guns to shoot. You don’t have to shoot all 3 stages (guns). You can shoot only one gun or a combination. The aggregate of 2700 comes from all 3 guns.

50 yards Slow Fire 3 stages of 10 shots worth 100 points each for 300
    25 yards Timed Fire 3 stages of 10 shots worth 100 points each for 300
    25 yards Rapid Fire 3 stages of 10 shots worth 100 points each for 300
    Total 900

Most matches will do this for each of the 3 guns = 2700.

They all so have what is called a “leg match”. It requires a service pistol (either M9 or 1911) and is shot over the National Match Course (same as above but only 1 stage). Leg Matches are for points towards the distinguished pistol award. The top 10 percent of all non-distinguished shooters will be awarded points.

Scopes are allowed but I shoot adjustable irons.

picture.php

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We like to get them out shooting before we tell them how much money they are going to spend.

Seriously a lot of folks get scared of the cost but I have done it on a very small budget and still am competitive. You can build you guns and equipment up over time. I shot my first year without a pistol box and only 2 pistols. This sport is all about the basics and will improve your scores in other disciplines.

"NRA Conventional Pistol Shooting Equipment" means in layman's terms.

Besides the guns most shooters have a "Bullseye" pistol box.

picture.php

A spotting scope that attaches to the box is a big help and allowed. Other items include extra mags, stapler, and pasters.

Here is quick breakdown of a typical match.

Bullseye type shooting or NRA conventional pistol. This type of shooting is done with one hand. There are no tactical moves or anything like that. Course of fire is 50 yards slow fire 10 rds, 25 yard timed and rapid fire 10 rds each. They use 3 pistols .22, center fire, and .45 the .45 can be used on both center fire and .45 stages. This the type of pistol matches that is shot at Camp Perry. You compete in classes according to your ability. It is the only type of match that points are awarded towards distinguished badges (leg matches).
    There are lots of nice people that will help you with anything. I have even borrowed guns to shoot. You don’t have to shoot all 3 stages (guns). You can shoot only one gun or a combination. The aggregate of 2700 comes from all 3 guns.

50 yards Slow Fire 3 stages of 10 shots worth 100 points each for 300
    25 yards Timed Fire 3 stages of 10 shots worth 100 points each for 300
    25 yards Rapid Fire 3 stages of 10 shots worth 100 points each for 300
    Total 900

Most matches will do this for each of the 3 guns = 2700.

They all so have what is called a “leg match”. It requires a service pistol (either M9 or 1911) and is shot over the National Match Course (same as above but only 1 stage). Leg Matches are for points towards the distinguished pistol award. The top 10 percent of all non-distinguished shooters will be awarded points.

Scopes are allowed but I shoot adjustable irons.

picture.php

Awesome; that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting it.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I am fairly new to ingo. I have carried off and on for over 20 years with training from dear old Uncle Sam.
    This spring 2 of my goals are to check out MCFG and to begin competitive shooting. I am a fairly good shot but 64 y/o so probably not as good as I once was.. I would like very much to be a part of your group.
    "I'M IN"

Just wanted to clarify. I will sponsor ONE new shooter. I will pay registration fees, provide guns, ammo, and lunch. You can use your own pistol if it is with in the rules. So does "I'M IN" mean you want to shoot this match as my guest or are you planning on showing up on your own when we meet for the matches?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just a thought...if you're having trouble getting enough people, perhaps you could encourage folks to use a .22 for all three phases.

Newbies probably aren't going to care whether their score "counts" for stuff, but dragging out the Buck Mark or Mark II might give them a chance to see if they like it (without feeling like they have to shake hands with a .45 at $.40 per shot for several hours).:twocents:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Just a thought...if you're having trouble getting enough people, perhaps you could encourage folks to use a .22 for all three phases.

Newbies probably aren't going to care whether their score "counts" for stuff, but dragging out the Buck Mark or Mark II might give them a chance to see if they like it (without feeling like they have to shake hands with a .45 at $.40 per shot for several hours).:twocents:

Thaks for the input but this thread was only intended for the "Bring a Buddy Match" on April 11.
    We are having no problems getting enough people. The line is full but I have a spot reserved for a "new shooter". New shooters are allowed to use the .22 for all stages. Most like to get a feel for the .45 so I offer that up as well as the M9. For this match I am providing the ammo, registration fees and lunch to a new shooter.

Top Bottom