• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks to Archaic_Entity, I borrowed heavily (read: swiped and added to it).

Although I called my Rep "Sen." in the e-mail I sent. Whoops. Here's mine:

[STRIKE]Sen.[/STRIKE] Rep. Eberhart,

I'm contacting you out of a grave concern for an amendment to upcoming legislation.

It has been brought to my attention that Rep. Ed DeLaney has proposed a detrimental amendment to SB 506.

SB 506 is a bill to allow persons who own handguns to transport them to and from training opportunities (gun ranges, specific training courses, and legal hunting activities) in a case, unloaded, and inaccessible to the owner. This does not allow the person to carry a firearm on their person without a License to Carry a Handgun, and is not a carry bill.

However, Rep. Ed DeLaney has introduced an amendment that restricts "large capacity ammunition feeding devices," effectively limiting Indiana gun owners from owning magazines, speed strips, clips, or anything that holds more than 10 rounds. I strongly urge you to vote against this amendment to an otherwise beneficial bill.
    I also ask that you strongly urge your fellow Representatives to vote against this amendment too.

This is a knee-jerk reaction in the face of the recent tragedy in Arizona. This type of legislation benefits no one, and will hurt every law abiding licensed carrier today. Criminals will ignore this new provision as they do every other law, as they are criminals and by definition do not follow the law.

As this debate has been happening all across the country since the shooting in Arizona, what seems to be lacking is the common sense approach to handling the aftermath, and placing the blame on the instrument or it's parts instead of the person and his actions.

There is no reason this type of restriction should ever see the light of day.

Your constituent,

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    "Rep. Ed DeLaney, however, has introduced a "large capacity ammunition feeding device" ban as an amendment. This would include any feeding device (mag, clip, speed strip, drum, etc.) that holds more than ten rounds. Such items could not be sold or possessed in Indiana if that amendment passes and the bill becomes law. There is no grandfather clause."

This would make about a third of your constituents felons over night.

I sent this out to Sen. Travis Holdman this morning. I then sent a text to him and he responded within minutes that he is looking at it! I then followed up by another text telling him that his Glock 19 magazines would not be allowed under this bill.

I also sent the same email to Rep. Jeff Espich.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Call your Indiana State Senator and Representative right now! Rep. Ed DeLaney has introduced a "large capacity ammunition feeding device ban" as an amendment to SB 506. This amendment needs to be removed from the bill. Call and email now!!!!!!
    I also posted the above to our facebook page for the shop. I would have liked to post more but there is a rule here about what I would really like to say.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    a lot of you guys are too nice in your letters. dont forget, they work for us. as a former "supervisor" both in the military and the civilian/govt sector, when I wanted something done I made it very clear that it WAS gonna be my way. I would start out pleasant but it was clear from the get go too that any other way is UNACCEPTABLE. Thats the way you have to address these reps. make sure they know that not only could they ensure their election or non re-election by their vote, but they could also kick off something they dont want on their shoulders. SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED! its not asking!

this is a simple vote. right or wrong. voting no on these bills is a direct assault on our constitutional freedoms. people made it VERY clear in the last election what they wanted. but never mind that even, the Constitution makes it crystal clear. and that rep thats trying to introduce the 10 round amendment...... (rolls eyes), he would have been tarred and feathered 200 years ago and rightly so!

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So Rep. Ed Delaney is Ann Delaney's husband. Ann DeLaney is the former Democratic Chair. It all is starting to make sense now.

Yup. Listening to her talk is like listening to Obama. Meaning I can take about 5 seconds before my brain just tunes it out.

I bet they are seething knowing that these bills are going to pass this year. It kind of makes me :D.

Anyway... my e-mails...

To: h38@in.gov
    Subject: SB 506 - URGENT!!
    Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:55:22 -0400

Dear Rep. VanNatter,

I'm sure you are already aware of this, but Rep. Delaney has attempted to poison SB 506 with a ban on handgun magazines of more that 10 rounds.

The Delaney amendment to SB 506 must NOT pass!

I would appreciate any and all efforts you make to remove this amendment and pass SB 506 as intended.

I have been an NRA Certified Instructor for some years, and allowing people to take their gun to get training and practice will only increase gun safety in our communities. For years there has been a legal gray area on whether students taking a pistol class were even allowed to be in the same room as a handgun, much less learn to shoot one safely on our range (since there was no specific exemption for the activity in IC 35-47-2).

PLEASE fight the Delaney amendment!!

Best regards,
    Kludge

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Rep. VanNatter,

After carefully re-reading the legislation and the amendments, it seems that I must contact you again regarding SB 506.

I am also opposed to your amendment and that of Rep. Austin, since they weaken the bill by limiting the circumstances under which law abiding citizens may legally transport a handgun in their vehicle.

I would much rather see legislation that focused on the criminal use of firearms than placing carte blanche restrictions on ordinary people going about their lives.

Best regards,
    Kludge

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ranger,

I see nothing wrong with being polite and civil in my letters, especially to Representatives and Senators for whom I have no vote. Your analogy is flawed in that as a supervisor in the way you described, you held some form of power over them. Let's face it; you have no power over legislators other than denying them YOUR vote. You cannot discipline them. You cannot fire them (yourself), and you can't even vote against them until the next scheduled election.

There are two ways to obtain desired behavior from people. You can persuade them or you can force them. If you have not the lawful ability to force them, that only leaves persuasion, and you know as well as I do the saying about catching more flies with honey than vinegar. Be polite. It works, or at least it works far better than empty threats.

Edit: And if your threats are not empty, they are not welcome on INGO. This has been made abundantly clear. If you have any questions about that rule here, you may feel free to PM me your question to clarify the answer.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have just received an email from State Sen. Jim Tomes, the author of SB 292 and SB 506. He thanked me for the "heads-up" I sent him yesterday, referenced the Delaney amendment as "just some nonsense", and assured me that the bills are still on track.

I would like to add to his email my own personal thanks to those people who took the initiative to write, get involved, and make their voices heard in the State House. THIS is what the Founders intended... an informed, involved, active citizenry who made their wishes known to their representatives.

Well done, INGO. Well done indeed!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yup. Listening to her talk is like listening to Obama. Meaning I can take about 5 seconds before my brain just tunes it out.

I bet they are seething knowing that these bills are going to pass this year. It kind of makes me :D.

Anyway... my e-mails...

...were well-written, Kludge. Nice work. Thank you for writing!

Edit: Whoops! I missed two. Britton, Hammerhead, thank you both as well!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The current active bills before the state legislature as of today, 4/12/2011, that address gun rights are

SB 94------- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 154 ----- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 292 ----- Scheduled to be heard in committee 4/13/11 0830.
    SB 411 ----- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 434 ----- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 506 ----- Passed Second Reading and Engrossed. Only the "Large Capacity" ban amendment was heard. It was defeated soundly by voice vote. For those interested, Rep. Eberhart and Rep. Goodin both spoke against the amendment. Only Rep. DeLaney spoke in favor of it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Rep Frizzell - contacted

Hopefully 506 will breeze through after they squash those ridiculous amendments. 292 concerns me a bit more, but all in all, I think we're in for a couple more victories.

Thanks to BoR for the fantastic updates he's providing. Rep incoming.

Apparently, BoR has received too much (sic) rep from me lately and I have to spread the love elsewhere before repping him again.
    It would also appear that my "Please support 506" email should have been a "Thanks for supporting 506"

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    SB 506 ----- Passed Second Reading and Engrossed. Only the "Large Capacity" ban amendment was heard. It was defeated soundly by voice vote. For those interested, Rep. Eberhart and Rep. Goodin both spoke against the amendment. Only Rep. DeLaney spoke in favor of it.

Do you know why the other amendments weren't heard?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Do you know why the other amendments weren't heard?

No mention was made of them. My guess would be that the sponsors knew they would go nowhere, but that's only a guess. The House is in recess right now due to a computer "glitch". When they come back, they have one bill that's been discussed but the vote delayed due to the computer issue, another to discuss and vote, then SB 94 is due up.

Thanks very much to those who have repped me on this (edit: or wanted to and couldn't). I'm just reporting it. Make sure to write your Representatives and thank them, too, if they voted correctly, and make them justify their actions if not.

Oh, and to the person whose rep comment included "as if you need it"... "Needed" or not, it is appreciated.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB 94 has just passed! SB 506 should be heard on Third Reading tomorrow. SB 292 is to be heard in committee tomorrow morning as well. Four wins, two in process... it's a good year for gun rights.

The current active bills before the state legislature as of today, 4/12/2011, that address gun rights are

SB 94------- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 154 ----- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 292 ----- Scheduled to be heard in committee 4/13/11 0830.
    SB 411 ----- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk
    SB 434 ----- Passed by both houses. Scheduled to go to Gov. Daniels' desk

Blessings,
    Bill

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    More good News!

Now I know why the other amendments weren't voted on. :patriot:

Dear Kludge,

Thank you for sharing your concerns about possible amendments to Senate Bill 506 which deals with handgun possession. I appreciate hearing from you.

After speaking with the author of this bill, I have decided not to offer my amendment to SB 506 and have in turn convinced Rep. Austin to not offer hers. Rep. Delaney’s amendment, which would have limited handgun magazines to ten rounds, failed on the House floor this afternoon. SB 506 will now move to a final vote in the coming days with no amendments made on the House floor. I am happy to offer this opportunity to further ensure 2nd Amendment rights to the people of Indiana.

I want to thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. Please feel free to continue doing so on any future matters.

Sincerely,
    Heath R. VanNatter
    State Representative
    District 38

HRV:am
    (emphasis added)

ETA: and I just sent him my thank you.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Nice... Nice... Nice!!!

Is the governor waiting for all the bills to arrive at his desk to sign them all at once? Or is he just busy with other stuff? What happens if he does not sign them (but does not VETO them either)? Is there some time limit for him to sign other they become law?

Top Bottom