• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'd like to know as well what the heck $20MM a year is for.

Such a tragic loss of life and equally tragic loss of freedoms as a result. And we keep saying we are winning the war on terror. With every new piece of legislation that restricts our civil liberties and with every TSA pat down, the terrorist (foreign or domestic, whatever you believe), win a victory.

Maybe the best way to honor the loss is to broaden civil liberties and get back to what makes this country special, freedom.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Such a tragic loss of life and equally tragic loss of freedoms as a result. And we keep saying we are winning the war on terror. With every new piece of legislation that restricts our civil liberties and with every TSA pat down, the terrorist (foreign or domestic, whatever you believe), win a victory.

Maybe the best way to honor the loss is to broaden civil liberties and get back to what makes this country special, freedom.

Hey, don't you remember "they" hated us because we were free. It was just a grand strategic master stroke. Simply eliminate our freedom and "they" will no longer hate us. Truly genius. :n00b:

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson

This^^^

His sound logic is not hard to understand; If you want to spend money to fund another "we can not survive without it" project then you better cut someone else's program to fund it! I believe we are numb/dumb to what $15.3 trillion actually means. I applaud the Senator from Oklahoma. This is the same kind of fiscal responsibility that attracts me to Ron Paul.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I believe we are numb/dumb to what $15.3 trillion actually means.

This is an average sized male standing next to 1M worth of 100 dollar bills:

pile.jpg

Here's a billion:

pallet_x_10.jpg

This is that same person standing next to a trillion:

pallet_x_10000.jpg

Multiply that times 15.3 and it starts getting hard to fathom.

scttnieman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    southeast indy
    I agree with the senator I'm going to contact him and let him know I think what he is doing is right and I'm in support of him and his choice to stand up against reckless spending

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    This is an average sized male standing next to 1M worth of 100 dollar bills:

pile.jpg

Here's a billion:

pallet_x_10.jpg

This is that same person standing next to a trillion:

pallet_x_10000.jpg

Multiply that times 15.3 and it starts getting hard to fathom.

Thanks for the visual. I think I'm gonna be sick...:puke:

scttnieman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    southeast indy
    here is some more info that i got from another forum i go to
    The Washington Times

NEW YORK — Sen. Tom Coburn, a Republican from Oklahoma who isn't afraid of questioning federal spending for popular projects, is challenging $20 million a year in new funding for the National September 11 Memorial and Museum in New York City.

Mr. Coburn makes it clear that he's not taking issue with the museum itself, which he says will help those still in pain with their healing process and serve as a reminder to all Americans not to take their freedom for granted.

Instead, in tough budget times, Mr. Coburn questions the rationale behind a bill that would authorize $200 million over the next 10 years for the museum and memorial without finding a way to offset those costs. He also wonders why private contributions from thousands of individuals and numerous corporations, which have flowed to America's 9/11 Foundation Inc., during the past decade, aren't enough.

"The legislation creates a permanent duplicative federal funding stream for a privately operated facility," Mr. Coburn wrote in a Wednesday letter to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican. "The museum has received more than $75 million in federal assistance over the past two years and remains eligible to apply for additional funds from a variety of federal programs if necessary."

The bill would authorize the new $200 million federal funding stream even though the memorial and museum have already received more than $123 million in federal grants since 2009 and ended 2010 with more than $584 million in net assets.Mr. Coburn said he came up with those figures by looking at the foundation's 2010 tax filing with the Internal Revenue Service, which showed $69.4 million in government grants, as well as an audit on the museum's website showing $53.5 million in grant funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development in 2009.

"I would like to receive additional information as to why the multiple existing federal funding sources available are insufficient to support this effort," he wrote in his letter to Mr. McConnell. "I would also like to see a breakdown of the budget justifications from the foundation and the committee for the amounts authorized by this bill."

Debra Burlingame, who chairs the foundation's board, said the federal funds are needed to help secure the museum and memorial from potential terrorist attacks. BULL****

The 9/11 families also were outraged by recent reports that executives running the memorial and museum paid themselves a total of $6.5 million in salaries, including $300,000 in severance for Joan Gerner, the former vice president of design and construction. As the highest-paid executive, Ms. Gerner made $439,463 in 2010, including the severance.

Among those earning the highest salaries are President Joseph Daniels who makes $378,288; Executive Vice President of Development Cathy Blaney, who makes $332,149; and Senior Vice President of Public Affairs and Communication Lynn Rasic, who makes $217,533.

In his letter to Mr. McConnell, Mr. Coburn also pointed out that the foundation spent $82,000 on a conference, conventions and meetings and $27,141 on lobbying efforts in 2010.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    what bugs me is that they didnt build it back the way it was. the terrorist won just by changing the skyline. i agree that there should be something there but it should have been put back the way it was, and our rights and freedoms should be restored as well. but the amount of money for this thing is way too much

jake

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom