• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I loaded two 9mm cartridges Friday night and successfully test fired them Saturday. Used a single stage RCBS.

I pulled bullets off of some surplus machine gun ammo, collected the powder for the charge. CCI primers. I took it Slow and methodical, having read a book, watched some videos prior and followed the instructions that came with the RCBS dies.

Fun times!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You're going about it the right way; learning on a single stage press. If you decide you need to load more 9mm, you might get a turret style press and if you need to load a LOT of pistol ammo, a full progressive. If you shoot 50-100 rounds per month, you can relax and enjoy your time at the RC! :)

Plus, you've got one of the best presses out there for creating great bottle-necked rifle cartridges.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Question? How did you know what type of powder was in the machine gun ammo? Not trying to bust your chops but it seems difficult to establish a load with an unknown powder. How did you go about deciding your load weight?

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    sounds like you disassembled them and reassembled . putting new primers in and running brass through the process . good confidence builder .

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I loaded two 9mm cartridges Friday night and successfully test fired them Saturday. Used a single stage RCBS.

I pulled bullets off of some surplus machine gun ammo, collected the powder for the charge. CCI primers. I took it Slow and methodical, having read a book, watched some videos prior and followed the instructions that came with the RCBS dies.

Fun times!
    Great start for learning the process!!

Thanks. RCBS 3 die set. Carbide

One of the BEST set of dies out there.

You're going about it the right way; learning on a single stage press. If you decide you need to load more 9mm, you might get a turret style press and if you need to load a LOT of pistol ammo, a full progressive. If you shoot 50-100 rounds per month, you can relax and enjoy your time at the RC! :)

Plus, you've got one of the best presses out there for creating great bottle-necked rifle cartridges.

The OP said "single stage RCBS"=May not be a RockChucker??

Question? How did you know what type of powder was in the machine gun ammo? Not trying to bust your chops but it seems difficult to establish a load with an unknown powder. How did you go about deciding your load weight?

Same here-I wonder if the pull down ammo had crimped primers? Was the crimp removed? Unknown bullet weight? What powder was used, etc, etc, etc.

It is a start, but more is needed for a hand loading base to be set...Bill.

Top Bottom