• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I have an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight in 20 ga that my father bought in the 1970s. It was used very little by him. I inherited it, and it has been in storage for 30 years. It is in remarkably good shape. I took it out to shoot trap with my son after Christmas, and it functioned well for about 50 rounds, but now needs some work. I live in Floyds Knobs in Southern Indiana and am looking for some recommendations for a gunsmith who can help me out. This gun has sentimental value to me. I'd like to get it back in functioning condition, use it only sparingly, if at all, and pass it on to my son. Any rec's?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What issues is it having?

Guns in storage for long time often have WD40 or just plain old lube/grease in it that often acts up when the firearm is finally put in use again

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Well, the metal arm disconnected from the forend, and I'm pretty sure that I broke the firing pin as well. So, unfortunately, this gun needs more love than just some WD40/Lube.
    It's a real shame. It's a great gun which I pushed too hard, i think. It's in great shape otherwise. I'd just like to get it back into good working order.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Said the problem with old guns is that people put WD40 back in the day and it gums up like a SOB, WD40 should never be put on guns.

As for your shotgun, sounds like a little issues but nothing terrible. Been a while since I've had a 37 apart so had to refresh myself. Not hard to take apart when it's in front of you but a pain trying to remember anything

[video=youtube;sa8qJQDoqqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8qJQDoqqw[/video]

Years of storage, maybe combination of gunk, the slide pin might have just drifted over a bit, or the slide pin spring seized or broke. Either way, Numrich has both the slide pin and slide pin spring in stock if either are damaged.

As for the firing pin, it would be easy to tel once you get the bolt out of the receiver, Numrich has those in stock too. What makes you think you broke the firing pin?

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    M67: Thank you for the info! Re: what makes me think I broke the firing pin: as the fore end was coming apart, I was able to chamber shells, but a pull of the trigger just clicked-no shot fired. 5 different shells failed. The firing pin was my initial thought.

x10 Thank you for your reply. I will check him out. Sent PM, but not sure if I did it right.

Top Bottom