• ...and so much more!
  • M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    Hey all,
    So, I'm going to CC a 1911. I've made my choice and that is it. I've owned many guns over the years and I keep coming back to the 1911.
    Give me your recommendations and why. I really want a 1911 that is not too expensive, shoots well, and has interchangeable parts with other 1911's. By that I mean if I buy brand X, I want to be able to swap out a spring from brand Y, or A and am not locked into only brand X parts.
    I'm leaning heavily towards a Rock Island parkerized 1911. Thoughts?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    SA Mil-Spec won't break the bank, but you should give us what "not too expensive" means to you.

RIA isn't a bad choice for the money though.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    1911 choice

A RIA is a good starter choice and you will have great customer service if you ever need it .Most parts are interchangable between brands but have to be fitter , springs OK no fitting .It is too early to recommend something that can be hi end customized .Springfeld is also a good choice also .Don't have any experiance with the American classic 1911 .

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hah. I have been carrying a not to inexpensive 1911 CC and got miffed when the varnish on the grips started getting worn off so started carrying my Bersa High Capacity 9mm which fits in the same holster and has a capacity of 17+1 and which only cost me $305 so I don't mind some wear on it.

I don't worry about "dropping" power since many of the revolvers of the old was had about the same power as a .380 like the 1851 Colt Navy which was very popular and did much damage.

Other than that for CC, the 1911 barrel length does not matter as much as the grip length. I carried a full sized grip but I am pretty big so it did not print. Weight makes a difference so an aluminum frame makes a difference but if you carry all steel then the belt makes a difference. I would rather carry a 1911 but don't have one I feel I can sacrifice to carry wear.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I like my RIA, and they are a good buy for the money. They also make a compact tactical, which you might want to check out. Of course, they are all steel frames, so they are heavy.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've been cc a Springfield govt. for a little while now, daily. I have the stainless, found it here on INGO classifieds. I like carrying it because it is full size, and i can shoot it well. I can also conceal it well in my crossbreed supertuck. That's my:twocents:
    25baa82c.jpg

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    kimber basic its all stainless so a bit heavy but is an awsome gun for the price. good used ones around 600 if you could find one. buds has good prices

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I have an RIA compact that I love and a Paraordancce GI Expert. Both are very well priced. I've been CCing the Para in a slide hoster just fine. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Crossbreed Supertuck for it.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What's the prefered spending amount?

What do you want on the gun? Guide rod, wider grip safety, night sights, etc?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    imo, for carry an aluminum framed commander sized 1911 is what I would pick

The S&W 1911PD Gunsite edition looks nice...

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    imo, for carry an aluminum framed commander sized 1911 is what I would pick

The S&W 1911PD Gunsite edition looks nice...
    Second the motion....about the lightweight Commander. I CC a full size 1911 in an IWB holster, and it's okay, but I'm used to it. If I had the choice, I'd want a lightweight Commander.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I agree with dom1104.
    Except I prefer the Officers sized frame.
    I have a Kimber Compact Stainless/Aluminum.
    It was the model before the CDP's came out.
    I'll never sell that one.
    BUT...
    My dream gun is a colt CCO.
    picture.php

They are very scarce and expensive.
    Like the Holy Grail of handguns. :D

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    Mmmmmmmm... Colt CCO... *drool*

The CCO configuration does seem ideal for 1911 carry. I carry a fullsize, all steal gun and it does take some getting used to. Using public restrooms suck though, since the gun tries to make my pants fall down :n00b: Then again, maybe another poster was right, a good carry belt would probably solve most full-size carry dilemmas.

I have too looked at the RIA line, but I think i'd spend a bit more and get a Springer or a Para.

Goodluck.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If you are going to go with a cheap 1911, I would go with an STI Spartan.

I played with another members < that sounded.... odd> model and it was very nice in my opinion.

For only 600 bucks, hard to go wrong.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    I carry a full size 1911 exclusively..............
    One of these depending on my mood

Though this is my usual carry .....10mm:rockwoot:
    P1010019.jpg

Grips have been change to a set of Larry Davidson Warthogs for carry since I took this picture.
    P1010032.jpg

and finally my latest buy a Clackamas model that has a nice and low serial number ( it was just priced to good to pass up}..... I have new Davidson Shredders on this one , but also have some work to do on it before I will be totally happy with it.
    P1010250.jpg

But the biggest thing in carrying a 5" 1911 is a good holster........ you really need to invest in a good quailty holster and not one of those one size fits most type, you will thank yourself later;)

Here is what mine ride in......
    4-1.jpg

These were made by Lou Alessi and are the PCH(left) and the Watch 6 (right)
    P10100063.jpg

Now with all that said remember the 1911 is not the lightest thing so a good belt helps too..........

I really need to look for a aluminum framed full size for carry:D ....... Time to start looking for a good series 1 Kimber CDP ....

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, this is my baby that I got for another ridiculous price. I love it but hate to put wear on it. It is the Kimber CDP II Pro with the shorter barrel.

kimber2px3.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have an RIA Compact, Kimber Ultra and Kimber Compact. The RIA is the best bang for the buck but for concealed carry, I usually go with the Kimber Ultra Carry with a set of ultra thin grips in a Kramer scabbard. That combo is really easy to conceal but since most of the time, I'm not too worried about concleament, I carry the Kimber Compact in stainless with an alloy frame, also in a Kramer scabbard. It's one of the nicest shooting guns I have.

I do sometimes carry the RIA and if it were not so heavy, I'd carry it almost exclusivly. The RIAs are great guns that compare well to the Kimbers at just over half the cost. The only issue is that they, like all full steel 1911s, are a bit heavy. Right now, I mostly carry the RIA when working on the car or something else that will have me crawling around, getting dirty.

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    Don't worry about putting wear on it:D ................ that is what we buy them for...... to use:ar15: .

Besides ,that wear adds character to it;)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    You know I love the RIA's!! IMO they shoot just as well as more expensive models such as Kimber or Colt but won't break the bank. If you're looking for a sub $500 1911, you can't go wrong. Excellent customer service. Check out the 1911 forum website for additional info.

Springfields are nice too and not terribly expensive. The Taurus PT1911 is nice.

Hey, if it's a 1911, it's always awesome. A good holster is definitely a must but you won't have any problems with printing or being uncomfortable.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You know I love the RIA's!! IMO they shoot just as well as more expensive models such as Kimber or Colt but won't break the bank. If you're looking for a sub $500 1911, you can't go wrong. Excellent customer service. Check out the 1911 forum website for additional info.

Springfields are nice too and not terribly expensive. The Taurus PT1911 is nice.

Hey, if it's a 1911, it's always awesome. A good holster is definitely a must but you won't have any problems with printing or being uncomfortable.

Hey, if it's a 1911, it's always awesome.

+1 :rockwoot:

Top Bottom